News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

** 1981 eldorado 6.0 fuel problems! Any information will help!

Started by Jonathan Johnson, March 26, 2023, 03:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

If you hit the preview button and scroll down there will be an attachments and other options under the lower left of the window where you type the text.  I believe there is also a sticky topic at the top of the general section that gives tips on what sizes work best.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jonathan Johnson

Also LAST 8 OF MY TITLE NUEMBER IS BE635582. MAYBE THAT HELPS
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

Got it thanks so much imx going to send you so me pics now.
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

:-*  >:D
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

So I'll explain the pictures, a couple of the pictures are of that weird wire that looks tampered with going to the distributor harness to the firewall. Also the other pic is of the wires going to the fire wall..they look strange to me like almost burnt...but almost everything works on the car! Except the pump..
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

So when I push the codes for the car 2 dots come up then 88 then 70
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

Here's the headace I bought and am trying to figure out lol, that purple wire was unplugged nut I found out where it's supposed to go.  These pics are what the car looked like when I got in it after I bought it. She's really clean for a Minnesota car. I know it'll be worth it.
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

81 BENY Biarritz

Hi Jonathan, everything looks pretty good as far as I can tell from your pictures.  If you put your finger on the fuel pump relay you should feel it click on when you first turn on the ignition to the RUN position and then it will clip back off after about 2 seconds. 
Great thing is that your diagnostics seem to be working and you don't have any current trouble codes. ".." is just a starting point, "88" is just a display test and "70" is the last code indicating that you are at then end of the first level of the diagnostics before trying other tests.  You can check a number of sensor inputs by going to Mode 90 (from 70) by simply turning the Cruise Control switch to the On and then back Off positions (car only needs to be in RUN).  You should then see "90" on the display and then by pressing Inst/Avg on the mileage display it will scroll forward through Parameters 01 thru 11.  To scroll backwards just press Reset on the mileage display.  It will display the parameter number (01 thru 11) first then the value.  The ones that I would be interested in would be 01 thru 05 as the others will only be useful when the car is running.  To get back to regular mode just press any button on the climate control at any time.  None of these sensors will actually prevent the car from starting however so it is probably best to focus on your other tests first.  Dave

81 BENY Biarritz

Couple of quick pictures of mine from this morning.  Can send better ones tonight after work.  Dave

20230328_070329[1].jpg
20230328_070432[1].jpg 

Jonathan Johnson

Ok thanks Dave. That's good to hear that nothing funny is going on with mine. I'll do what you mentioned when I get home from work. But my relay does not click when I turn to on position.  I know that for sure. BTW the Grey cadillac manual I ordered says advanced 1981 cadillac, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get the eldorado, Seville one. Which sucks.
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

Hey tj, sorry I'm a little confused about my relay with 2 and 5? I'm slow..I just see like 86 87 and so on. I did stick my test light in the prongs and tested the power side and didn't get much back can you verify exactly what numbers and I will check them today, thanks again tj!
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

TJ Hopland

2 and 5 are the pin numbers listed on the diagram what I saw didn't give a physical layout. They would be the coil power sent by the computer to activate the relay.  If you got 12v here and the relay wasn't working that would point to a problem with the relay. 

If you are seeing 86 and 87 that sounds like what is now sort of known as a universal relay.  Dave or anyone else is that the correct relay for this application?  Maybe this application is how it became a standard?  But Cadillac especially seemed to like to not use standard stuff, they seemed to like unusual relays for some reason so I wonder if maybe that one isn't correct? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jonathan Johnson

Hey tj could you send me the diagram your talking about 1 more time?
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

This is what I was using last night,  I hope this is correct
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

Hey tj, I'm actually going to be home all day today, so I'll get going on everything today,  I also bought a multi meter as well. But just if you have time give me a step by step list. And I'll knock it out today. In the mean time I'll go thru our convos and see what I haven't done yet. Thanks
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

Hey Dave, I got into that mode you talked about by turning cruise switch off to on,
#1 was 0
#2 was 99
#3 was 99
#4 was 19
#5 was 18
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

81 BENY Biarritz

Hi Jonathan, those values seem fine so that is another good sign regarding the ECM.

FYI, #1 is throttle angle,  when you step on the accelerator pedal it should increase up to about 22 (book says max is 31).  #2 is the MAP sensor and it should read the same as #3 the BARO sensor when the car is not running.  When running it usually is around  low 30's to high 70's while the BARO sensor will stay at 99 (unless you are at high altitude).  #4 is coolant temperature and converts (using a table in the manual) to a little below 32F same for #5 which is the Intake Manifold temperature.  They should both be about the same value since the car is cold and has been running.  So that seems all good to me.

As for the silver "Service Information" manual you should look for one that is not the "Advanced Service Information" manual as it is the preliminary copy that they publish before the cars are actually in production so that the dealers have something to use for the first cars.  The one that just says "Cadillac 1981 Service Information" on the cover is the one you want.  It has all the details on the mechanical systems on the car and a good bit of Electrical info also.  The other one you will want is thinner but has a silver cover also should say "Cadillac 1981 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual" and either Seville/Eldorado or All Models on the cover.

Did you get a chance to try some of TJ's tests? If you are not getting the short turn on cycle of the fuel pump when you first turn the ignition to RUN and you don't feel the relay clicking I would check the two ECS fuses which are shown in the Relay Convenience center on the first scan I posted yesterday.  Then you can check terminals 9  & 14 on the back of the ECM for 12V whenever the battery is connected and terminal 8  for 12 V when the key is turned to the ACC, RUN and START positions.  I will send a drawing shortly.  Dave

Jonathan Johnson

I have done a few off tj,s recommendations,  nothing seems out of order but one thing I noticed is I don't think my test light is lighting at the relay. I'm waiting to see what prong is 2 and 5 because I have newer Bosch relays and there the 86 87 ones.  But im looking forward to that drawing thanks again Dave!
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls

Jonathan Johnson

Hey tj when I get home I'll see if I have an original relay under there,  and go off those prongs
1981 eldorado 6.0
2007 dts
4.9 liter v8 anything
Deville
Seville
Sts
Sls