News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bill Hirsch paint question

Started by Clewisiii, March 17, 2023, 05:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I have been using Hirsch paint from quarts.  The last time I sprayed it and noticed it took a while to dry. Several days.  Last night I brush applied paint to a small piece and after sitting in 60 degree temps after work today it was still wet.   

I assume I should use an activator in the paint.   Do you think that is expected.  How have the rattle cans been.  I have never used them. 
IMG_20230317_172854984.jpg

One point my new can arrived today.  The lid almost came off in shipping and some paint did leak out.  Packing peanut got stuck to it.  IMG_20230317_172901123.jpg

On a side note I was at Inline Tube today to get a quote for all my hardlines.  I noticed they had rattle can Cadillac Engine blue.  Decided to buy a can to test.  Well unless it dries a lot darker it is way off. 

IMG_20230317_172932501.jpgIMG_20230317_172941519.jpg   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

J. Russo

I've used the LaSalle Green from the spray can and the quart. No difference in the quality. The spray can was great.

I sprayed in my basement and let the paint dry for at least 24 hours.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

35-709

Looking at the Seymour paint, it looks like they are trying to cover more than one engine color.  Note that it says "also Ford Blue", Ford Dark Blue is kind of like Cadillac Blue, but it certainly isn't.  It is a lighter blue which your spray out seems to confirm, they seem to be trying to be all things to all people.  It also mentions Royal Blue on the can which Cadillac Blue, again, is not.  I have heard, however, that one can make a reasonable facsimile of Cadillac Blue by mixing Royal Blue with black, the amount of black to be added is according to your eye.
In my experience, Hirsch's Cadillac Blue, is the most accurate color available and their rattle can product goes on nicely and smoothes out beautifully.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dave Ventresca

are hirsch spray cans available yet? they were out of stock for a while. Dave

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Even the Cadillac blue Hirsch spray can paint is somewhat lighter than it should be.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I think the Hirsch paint is the standard. Don't settle for less.
I had questions about it drying too, and I just called them. They answered the phone and gave me good answers..... And yes, it eventually dried and is hard as a rock.
It is a lot of work getting parts clean and ready for painting, and the engine bay is something to take pride in.
Don't skimp on the paint.
Just an opinion.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Moody

I've used catalyzed urethane from any auto paint supply, and they can match the original color perfectly. It'll dry pretty fast, too. The cost is more than Hirsch paint, but it's better IMO.
Moody

jdemerson

My experience goes back two years. I used the Hirsh paint in the rattle cans. It eventually dried very hard. It is the right shade of Cadillac blue -- considerably darker than the Seymour paint photo. Possibly something has changed with the Hirsh paint, but I strongly doubt that. And the colors are the same, whether in quart cans or rattle cans. I've never heard of anyone being less than fully satisfied with a Hirsh product. It's the "standard"!

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn