News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac odometer not working speedometer works

Started by Ransome, October 20, 2019, 04:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ransome

1959 Cadillac odometer not working  ,you can flip the numbers back to all 0's but they will not show new miles. After doing some research I need to replace the plastic odo gear .
I do have a couple of questions
Once you have the instrument panel out is it obvious how to replace the odo gear?
How do you disconnect the auto dimmer , does it unplg underneath when you lift the dashpad?
How do you disconnect the PNDLR so it doesn't break ?

thanks Gregg

Ransome

I am looking at different odometer gears ,are they 24 teeth?
which is the correct option? 

thanks Gregg

35-709

You don't want the first one pictured (the green one), that one goes in the transmission not the speedo head.  Someone else will have to answer about the other two. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

If I remember correctly, Bruce Reynolds replaced the odometer gear on his '60.  Otherwise, you can send it off to Instrument Services --- www.clocksandgauges.com   if it is more than you want to tackle.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I stripped down a '60 Speedo, and made one out of two, as mine had a loose magnetic ring, and I found it difficult to re-solder it back into the required exact central position.

They are not rocket science to work on, but do need careful hands and sometimes careful brute force to remove the speedo needle without breaking the shaft point.

Replacing the old stiff grease on the odometer drive and driven gears works a treat, as I found out that a speedo that came from a wrecking yard, where the car sat for many years without being used, resulted in hardening grease.  This in itself can cause the nylon gears to wear out from friction.

I apologise for the poor quality of the pictures, but hopefully they might show something that you might like to see.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ransome

Hi
Which of the gears in this photo needs replacing for the odo ?
Is it number 1 or 2

thanks Gregg

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only gears that would need replacing are the one that is worn out, as in having no correctly-shaped teeth left.

On that shaft, one gear works the Trip Meter, and the other, the Odometer.

With my speedo, it was one of the rear shaft gears that was worn out, where the transition goes from across the back, to the front of the odometer.   Will have to see if I have any better pictures.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

59-in-pieces

Gregg,
With all due respect - replace it or have someone else repair it - unless you have the eyes of an eagle and the hands of a surgeon - OH YA!, tools - and miles of patience.

Here are some pics of my 59 speedo guts.
Look for the damaged teeth & look at the pics and you will see which gear meshes with the odometer spool - this part is easy and not rocket science.

OH! now refer to the first paragraph to solve your dilemma.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ransome

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on October 22, 2019, 01:54:36 PM
Gregg,
With all due respect - replace it or have someone else repair it - unless you have the eyes of an eagle and the hands of a surgeon - OH YA!, tools - and miles of patience.

Here are some pics of my 59 speedo guts.
Look for the damaged teeth & look at the pics and you will see which gear meshes with the odometer spool - this part is easy and not rocket science.

OH! now refer to the first paragraph to solve your dilemma.

Have fun,
Steve B.

I'm taking your advise , a local speedo shop is going to rebuild the whole speedo assembly for $200 , they have been around forever out here and have experience with a 1959 cadillac.

Now the fun part , taking it out

thanks Gregg

59-in-pieces

Gregg,
I hope I was of some help.
Where are you and let us all know who you chose.

Oh and a few more word, be careful in removing the screws that hold the instrument cluster to the dash assembly.
A spray of WD-40 on the screws and let it set will help free the screws which may have rusted in place after all these years.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

Gregg,
Sorry for the piecemeal approach to this help.

Yes the Autronic-Eye has a shielded cable that comes out from the bottom of the control sensor assembly on top of the dash pad (does not disconnect) and the assembly is held to the dash by a stabilizing pin and a large bolt that goes threw the dash with a  "U" shaped bracket below the dash held by a nut and the cable passes through the dash pad down to the amplifier control box that sits behind the driver's side kick panel - 3 pronged plugs in - pull out carefully and fish back out.

The dash pad itself is held in by screws along its leading edge and tabs at its rear that lock it into 3 spring loaded mounting brackets bolted to the cowl at its rear just below the windshield.

The shift indicator painted white is attached to a complex mounting bracket that must be detached from the steering column first before raising the instrument cluster or you will damage it and the indicator window in the cluster.

See the pics.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

ratpin

BTW, anyone know of tape to replace the numbers on the odometer. when I took apart my cluster, the tripometer numbers were literally flaking off so I went ahead and chipped them all off of the four plastic wheels(was quite easy with just fingernail) The odo numbers seem fine. Worst case I put it back together with no numbers on the tripometer.

Daddio

ratpin,
I have an odometer assembly with (I think) about 68K miles showing that you're welcome to.
It came from a complete pod that I cannibalized many ..... many years ago. I only needed the speedometer assembly and wanted to keep the original odometer with 48K miles showing, but kept the gauges, light sockets, bezel and odometer as spares.
It worked fine when I removed it and I think the gears and numbers are clear and intact. I'll have to check.
Let me know and I'll dig it out for you.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

ratpin

Ok thanks, side note that my car is a 1960. So I’m assuming they are the same.

radillac

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 21, 2019, 06:53:09 PMI stripped down a '60 Speedo, and made one out of two, as mine had a loose magnetic ring, and I found it difficult to re-solder it back into the required exact central position.

They are not rocket science to work on, but do need careful hands and sometimes careful brute force to remove the speedo needle without breaking the shaft point.

Replacing the old stiff grease on the odometer drive and driven gears works a treat, as I found out that a speedo that came from a wrecking yard, where the car sat for many years without being used, resulted in hardening grease.  This in itself can cause the nylon gears to wear out from friction.

I apologise for the poor quality of the pictures, but hopefully they might show something that you might like to see.

Hi Bruce, I have the same problem: My '59 Cadillac odometer plastic drive gear (behind speedo head) is stripped. Where did You find your new one??  Glenn

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Glenn,

I had to purchase another speedo head and use the parts from it.

But, as I found, the heads, although they were from 1960 models, the odometer gears were different.   One of those things where the factory changes suppliers mid build.

The reason mine wore out was simply from lack of lubrication, or being left standing around for too long in a wrecking yard, out in the open, slowly degrading.

If all else fails, it is not beyond the realms of possibility to repair yours by carefully gluing plastic back on, and reshaping.   But, a replacement would be easier.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Nctgs5434

Hi

I have had the same issue with the gears coming from the speed cup (where the magnet turns) going up to the odometer gear not working. They were worn and broken.

My solution was to take the old gears and make reproductions of these original gears. It was not an easy job but it worked. In other words I can sell these gears now to anyone that needs these. Its not a cheap solution but the only one I could find as all the speedometer shops said they have to strip old odometers to get these gears and often the gears are in bad shape in these as well.

Mine are gears for the 1959 Cadillac. See the attached picture for the gears that I reproduced.

The larger one (the vertical gear) is reproduced in metal.
The one that goes inside the Speedcup is reproduced in high end plastic.