News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

70 Fleetwood trunk pull down/ pop up ultimate question

Started by don.piotrek, February 02, 2023, 04:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don.piotrek

Hi guys,

I am in desperate need to learn the ultimate way how the hydraulic cylinder/ actuator or whatever you call it, is mounted in the trunk of a 1970 Fleetwood Brougham.

As I bought the car, the trunk lid closed with a significant resistance. The lid itself is a little bent on the right side too, I assume the previous owner might have had some issues with the pulldown system and put to much force into closing the trunk, resulting in bending it.
The electric release in the glovebox didn't work either. So opening with the key and closing with a strong and fierce slam were the only options.

I took a little care of the car now over the winter, the electric release works well. The hydraulic cylinder seems to be stuck: it does not extend to all its length in a vertical position, but needs really huge force to be contracted. I attached a temporary piece of cord for the catch to manually raise it before closing the lid.

Now, apart from the fact the hydraulic cylinder does not work as it should - the main question is how should it be mounted?

The other day I was told it should hang loose from near of the lid hinge. But in such case would it be able to contract enough the steel line to lower the catch of the latch upon closing?
Also here in the forum I came across pics of the 1972 de Ville and how it was mounted there: definitely the steel line is attached to a mount on the top of inner wheelhouse and the range of the cylinder extension/ contraction is thanks to it limited making possible for the catch to rise and lower. The cylinder definitely does not hang loose there.

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?msg=360163

So, how should it be mounted in my 1970 Fleetwood?
Thanks
and the collection grows...

1964 Ford Thunderbird Landau
1968 Fiat 500 F
1968 Ford Mustang c-code coupe
1970 Cadillac Series Sixty Fleetood
1978 Fiat 126p ST
1996 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Don,

Sorry, but the picture is not that of one in a '72 DeVille, but of the one in my '72 Eldorado Convertible, that I took myself.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

don.piotrek

Hi Bruce, thanks for the clarification.

Anyway, is the mount the same in other Cadillac models from this particular range of model years? Or had Eldo/ de Ville/ Fleetwood it solved in a different way?

1968 Fiat 500 F
1978 Fiat 126p ST

Cape Cod Fleetwood

You may find spraying the top and bottom of the piston, the linkage, and especially the entire cable from piston to lock release, and the lock release, with Kroil will solve some problems.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

The Tassie Devil(le)

The big problem with these systems is when the operating cable that travels from the cylinder to the lock, beneath the carpet, gets wet, and starts to rust.

I found that mine was so badly rusted that it seized, and a couple of wire strands rusted through, creating an internal catching point.   Luckily, I found one strand and got it out, but that still left the other end still in there.

I managed to purchase a supposedly good one, which moved reasonably freely, but it is not as good as a brand new one.

PS.   I have never seen a faulty hydraulic actuator.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

badpoints

I took a few pictures. 1967 SDV

don.piotrek

Quote from: badpoints on February 03, 2023, 07:32:24 AMI took a few pictures. 1967 SDV
YESS!! This is what I've been looking for! Thank you!!

And so is my cylinder spitting brownish rusty liquid when contracted. I guess it simply means, something is wrong with it.
image_67129601.JPG

1968 Fiat 500 F
1978 Fiat 126p ST

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha.   Now I have seen a faulty one, and yours is faulty, and needs replacing.

Why it is leaking?   Not sure without actually seeing it.   Could be that the shaft has been compromised, as in scratched whilst extended, or the seal just worn out.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

bctexas

My '65 has this mechanism.  I have always wondered just exactly what the point of it is.  You still have to close the lid to the first catch manually, so the system can pull the trunk down the last little bit.  Without the mechanism you just close the lid and you're done.  The closer seems like a bit of complication that doesn't really accomplish anything useful.  What am I missing?

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bruce,

The closer does two things.

Firstly, it allows the operator to close the trunk without having to slam it.

But, the best part is that once closed, there is sufficient pressure built-up to raise the trunk lid when the opening button is pressed from inside the car.

My normal road car doesn't have this feature, but it does have the remote opener, but 99% of the time that I use it, when I go to the back of the car, I still have to use the external opener to release the lock as the weight of the trunk lid does not completely release the lock when opened from the inside.

Granted, my normal car has done 300,000 Kilometres, so the trunk rubber sealing would have lost some of its' "springisity", plus the added weight of the rear wing doesn't help.

So, the unit does two jobs.   Mine opens up the lid beautifully.   Especially with my Continental Kit, I can get the key into the lock, but the button release is really nice.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

bctexas

Ah, ok - if it will actually open the trunk lid all the way when released, I get it.  Mine only raises a foot or so when you hit the remote release - I'll blame old age. 

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

don.piotrek

Okay, I didn't advance at all with the trunk, but I have another question here.

I am 99% positive I have seen somewhere in this forum a picture of dismantled actuator. Showing a shaft and a spring that are inside of the cylinder. I recall someone actually had it rebuild. Can't find the thread neither the picture...

Could you please help..? :)

1968 Fiat 500 F
1978 Fiat 126p ST

Cape Cod Fleetwood

John Abend had a complete working system for sale on his facebook page, don't know if its still available.
You can contact him on the "1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" on facebook. Or maybe his "Captain Cadillac" eBay store.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 12, 2023, 10:29:21 AMJohn Abend had a complete working system for sale on his facebook page, don't know if its still available.
You can contact him on the "1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" on facebook. Or maybe his "Captain Cadillac" eBay store.
Hi Lauri,
 Can you post a link??
 Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville