News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1980 Eldo Olds 350

Started by 1980 Eldo, March 09, 2023, 09:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1980 Eldo

I just purchased a California car that has the Olds 350 in it.  Regular Unleaded or Premium recommended/Required.  The car didn't come with an owners manual, but I have one on the way.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

This era designed to run on regular. Premium fuel wasn't required on Cadillac until the MPFI 4.5 engine of 1990.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bcroe

The California 1980 Eldo has essentially the same engine
as the 1979 Eldo, oxygen sensor version.  You can expect
the OX sensor function in the ECU to be dead, parts to
repair this are not available, but the ECU can be converted
(or replaced) to operate as a 49 state version with no sensor.
This failure can throw off the fuel mixture.   

5.7L in the Eldo is a low compression version, unlike the higher
compression, carb 5.7L in Toro and Riv.

For maintaining 70s Cad EFI cars I highly recommend having
the blue & white book: CADILLAC ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION
DIAGNOSIS Manual 1099984 / S-1453.  New reprint on Evil Bay,
number:165136935730 and others.  Get a paper book, not a CD.

In order to properly service that car, should have at least the
1980 CADILLAC SERVICE MANUAL, Cat No. S-1728. Specific
to your car is 1979 ELDORADO ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING
MANUAL. If you can't get that, very similar is 1979 SEVILLE
ELECTRICAL TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL.
good luck, Bruce Roe  CLC # 14630

fishnjim

That's the declining "platform" era when they started the "universal" parts idea, just pre Roger Smith.  Twilight of the good for GM good for America period.
I don't recall the exact circumstances around that motor but I believe some sourced out of Canada.  Cash, sales, supply, or all issues?  Might have been the only one available to meet emissions.
Turbulent time for autos as the EPA was changing the rules frequently and had the automakers on the run.  I remember people were not real happy when they found out their motor was not as badged, like in the past.   But that motor was a "work horse" for most of the GM brands with larger vehicles.  It survives today much improved in the form of the LS bases. 
It should be OK but not a tire burner.

JGilligan75

Try to use ethanol-free gasoline whenever possible. This additive absorbs moisture and can wreak havoc on the fuel systems in old cars especially the ones that aren't driven much.

Here's a link to find a station near you that sells 0% ethanol fuel.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

79 Eldorado

"But that motor was a "work horse" for most of the GM brands with larger vehicles.  It survives today much improved in the form of the LS bases. "

Jim,
It should be clarified that the 5.7 (350) in the Eldorado was an Oldsmobile engine. I believe 1980 was the final year for the Olds 5.7L in anything. After that the Olds 307 was used in Oldsmobile, Buick, Chevy...

Prior to around 1981,at some point in time, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Chevy all had unique versions of 5.7L which were different engine architecture. The chevy basic configuration survived until it was finally replaced by the LS platform.

I thought it was important to point out because even Rockauto incorrectly lists the double roller timing chains for the 1979 Eldorado incorrectly. They list the Chevy PNs which will not work. To find the proper PN double roller you need to look under 1979 Toronado.

Scott

TJ Hopland

Was there ever more than one VIN number for the EFI Olds used in the Seville and Eldo's?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

79 Eldorado

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 10, 2023, 03:25:54 PMWas there ever more than one VIN number for the EFI Olds used in the Seville and Eldo's?   
I can only speak for 1979 but in 1979 the Olds EFI engine was coded as "B" and the Olds based diesel was coded as "N" and they do appear in the VIN number. Those were the only Eldorado engines offered in 1979. The 1979 Oldsmobile Toronado with the Olds 350 w/ carb was engine code "R".

Scott

bcroe

Quote from: 79 Eldoradoeven Rockauto incorrectly lists the double roller timing chains for the 1979 Eldorado incorrectly. They list the Chevy PNs which will not work. To find the proper PN double roller you need to look under 1979 Toronado. Scott

I avoid that issue by asking for 403 parts which
for the most part are identical to the 77-79 Olds
5.7L (350).  Or spec a 78 Toronado, 403 was the
only engine offered.  Bruce Roe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 10, 2023, 03:25:54 PMWas there ever more than one VIN number for the EFI Olds used in the Seville and Eldo's?   

B used in 1979.
8 used in 1980.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute