News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Long term spare gas tank storage?

Started by TJ Hopland, March 14, 2023, 08:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I got a rust free tank that isn't currently reproduced that I want to keep in good condition for as long as possible. Climate controlled storage isn't practical.

Was thinking of spraying/coating the inside with something but what? Fogging oil?  I was looking at diesel tank I pulled out of a car almost 10 years ago now and it still appears to have nice film of diesel inside it.

Seems like I remember that back in the diesel car days the diesel car tanks were not coated the same, maybe galvanized?  Would diesel hurt?   I have plenty around and it seems to work.  I'm not talking about much, just enough to get things coated then I would remove as much that is left as possible. 

I emptied the tank and between letting it sit in the sun and some compressed air it was 100% dry when I put it away.  When I looked at it last summer it was still looking good inside but it had only been a year at that point.

Open to hear thoughts on the subject.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JGilligan75

TJ, your best bet would be a fuel tank sealer which involves cleaning and etching inside the tank before applying. Bill Hirsch, POR-15 coatings, and Eastwood all sell kits that include everything you'll need. It's a little more labor intensive than a quick coating of diesel but it'll be ready to install and gas up when that day comes.

https://www.eastwood.com/gas-tank-sealer-kits-eastwood-gas-tank-sealer.html

https://por15.com/collections/all/products/fuel-tank-sealer

https://www.hirschauto.com/mobile/AUTOMOTIVE-FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/ARK%2D01/

79 Eldorado

TJ,
I wonder if you could find a large enough vacuum bag for it. No oxygen would equal no corrosion. I've also used something developed by Boeing called Boeshield T-9 on tools and the metal parts in the top of my HEI. It seems to leave a nice film behind. It might be worth buying a can yourself to try it on something else to get some personal experience with. Here's the full description "BOESHIELD T-9 Rust & Corrosion Protection/Inhibitor and Waterproof Lubrication". In those cases I have been able to wipe off the excess which would be difficult inside of a tank but maybe not necessary either.

Scott

V63

There is no coating I know of that protect against alcohol blended fuels.

I would coat it with transmission fluid or marvel.

fishnjim

Corrosion is your only concern here.  Keeping it moisture free is critical.
There are spray anti-corrosion agents much like cosmoline used for guns.  CRC makes a few.  I use one of them on antiques I store.  Plain ol WD 40 is good for moisture exclusion.
If you have inert gas such as argon(TIG), find a large sealable poly bag and put the tank in there, purge it with the gas, and close up the bag air tightly.   If yours is a dry climate like desert then purge not needed.
I used to ship/store anaerobic chemicals like that, packed inside a steel drum, and they did well.   Just find a shelf or rafters for it - inside.  Keep poly out of the light, or use black. 
I think if you put diesel in there and slosh it around you'll have to repeat that frequently, as the topside will drain away. 
Pick whatever is best for you and for how long you'll store it.

dn010

I used POR-15 fuel tank sealer on my fuel tank and it looks the same today as it did 15 years ago when I applied it to the inside of the tank - and that is with having today's fuel blends sitting in the tank daily.

If you don't want to coat it, why not fill up a bag with silica beads and drop it into the tank from the sender hole, and then stretch wrap the tank so it will not receive any moisture?
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean