News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac mystery

Started by billyoung, March 05, 2023, 08:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

I have determined that whomever ordered my 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible new ordered Basic group 1, White wall tires, Door Guards Soft ray glass, AMFM Stereo radio and Automatic climate control. Then added Twilight sentinel and Six way power seat. My question is the headlight switch states lights on top and Sentinel on the lower portion and here is the mystery the escutcheon is present for the Sentinel adjustment BUT so is the escutcheon for the Auto Dimming feature however the Dimming components are not present in the car at all and there appears no evidence that they ever were?  As my car is Body no. 2401 Built the first week of October 1967 it is early, near an announcement day car but not real early and is almost certainly not a Dealer order car as other than Six way seat and Sentinel has NO other options other than the two most expensive you could order for 1968. Any clues ? as I have never seen a 1968 Headlight switch like this.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

V63

It could be the switch was replaced since production and that is the closest they could find ?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The simple answer might be that the worker on the line simply picked the wrong item out of the wrong tub of bezels. Anyway, it's nice to speculate. Enjoy your car.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

billyoung

Both great points, thank you gentleman.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Highwayman68

Hi Bill,

Here are some examples of the options available in 1968.

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981