Cadillac & LaSalle Club Discussion Forum

Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forums => Technical / Authenticity => Topic started by: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 15, 2022, 09:57:29 AM

Title: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 15, 2022, 09:57:29 AM

It appears as if the radiator on my 1955 CDV has a very small leak on the mid lower left hand side (if facing the engine).  It might be due to corrosion or it might have been due to a careless use of a tool (there's a dent in that area as well).  Does anyone have a recommendation for an excellent repro or refurbished radiator or a vendor who might sell these?  I can drive the car as is locally but I wouldn't dare take it too far for fear that it might rupture.  Taking it to a radiator shop is an option as well if its in the greater Phoenix area.

Thanks!
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 15, 2022, 03:40:46 PM
What I do is that I always have a fully serviced spare rad ready to go. That way when problems develop you can swap out the bad with the good and you are good to go. Then you get your rad serviced and keep it as a spare. Have had to do this twice now. But this system is good as it keeps your car mobile. I have a spare rad out of a '55 Cad I would sell, but probably cheaper for you to look for one closer to home. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 15, 2022, 06:21:53 PM
Tim further to PM I took some shots of the rad. Not sure if I can send via PM. If it were me I would have it serviced while parts are still available. I bought it at a swap meet and was said to have come from a running car that was toast, so all parted out. Appears to be an old rebuilders name plate on it, and looks like quite a decent core. If can't send pics via PM will post here later. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 15, 2022, 08:10:10 PM
Tim doesn't look like I can send my images via PM. So posting here. I don't think any of those parts you mentioned are with the radiator. I am not even sure if the car had AC or not. The fellow who removed said it came out of a 1955 Cadillac that was running, but otherwise toast-so it was stripped down for parts. Will post a shot of the Harrison # and perhaps you or another member can confirm what this fits. There appears to be an old rebuilders plate on it which may account for the decent shape that it is in today. I would normally want $100 for it, but $65 USD will be fine for a Forum member such as yourself. Not sure what shipping would be, that I would have to calculate. Worse case scenario I might have to buy a large box for it as I don't think I have anything here that can package it. Overall in very decent shape. I would still have it recored for peace of mind though. If you were adventuresome you could buy one of those fin tools and straighten the bent fins, flush it out and try it as is. Doesn't sound like it is full of sediment but I hear a "stone" like rattle noise from inside when turned upside down. Possible loose solder ball floating around in there? Anyways, a decent core to be sure. Not all dented and banged up. Small dent on top tank rebuilder could easily push out. Evan so as it looks better than many I see on driving cars at cruise nights. This looks like the rad on my '56, except the drain cock is in a different place which I believe is common to the '55. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 15, 2022, 10:15:33 PM
PM's don't accept Attachments.

The best way to use the PM's is to PM the Member first, then if there is a need to swap or display pictures, then email the Member direct.

Bruce. >:D
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: fishnjim on September 16, 2022, 09:36:29 AM
I'm not aware of anyone making "OEM" repro radiators for this, unless you get a custom $$$+.   There are some aluminum made that may fit.  So you're in the used market, and getting one road worthy without a recore, is iffy.
Not trying to undo any deals, but always best to rebuild what you got if it can be.   If the tanks usually are good, the core can be replaced.   
I, too, keep a spare('58), but was lucky to get it for a good price, but had to travel a day one way to pick it up.   Doesn't mean the spare may need repairs, too.   Also, same for heater cores.  I got one and had it recored, and when I swop it out, I'll send the orig to the shop for the shelf.
These things only last +10 years(wet), and the modern cores maybe less, unless you're diligent about the fluid/maintenance.  Imperative to keep up with changing the antifreeze on a 4 year cycle, and if not, add more additive to extend.  Hoses every 5 years.  Check the cap and fluid level so you don't drive it low and cause a boil over.  And you won't have much problems.
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Nickl on September 19, 2022, 12:01:38 PM
Quote from: Lexi on September 15, 2022, 08:10:10 PMTim doesn't look like I can send my images via PM. So posting here. I don't think any of those parts you mentioned are with the radiator. I am not even sure if the car had AC or not. The fellow who removed said it came out of a 1955 Cadillac that was running, but otherwise toast-so it was stripped down for parts. Will post a shot of the Harrison # and perhaps you or another member can confirm what this fits. There appears to be an old rebuilders plate on it which may account for the decent shape that it is in today. I would normally want $100 for it, but $65 USD will be fine for a Forum member such as yourself. Not sure what shipping would be, that I would have to calculate. Worse case scenario I might have to buy a large box for it as I don't think I have anything here that can package it. Overall in very decent shape. I would still have it recored for peace of mind though. If you were adventuresome you could buy one of those fin tools and straighten the bent fins, flush it out and try it as is. Doesn't sound like it is full of sediment but I hear a "stone" like rattle noise from inside when turned upside down. Possible loose solder ball floating around in there? Anyways, a decent core to be sure. Not all dented and banged up. Small dent on top tank rebuilder could easily push out. Evan so as it looks better than many I see on driving cars at cruise nights. This looks like the rad on my '56, except the drain cock is in a different place which I believe is common to the '55. Clay/Lexi

Is that still for sale?
Would you ship to Germany too?
Think should be the same as the one of my 54 or is there a difference between 54 and 55?
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 19, 2022, 03:54:20 PM
Quote from: Nickl on September 19, 2022, 12:01:38 PMIs that still for sale?
Would you ship to Germany too?
Think should be the same as the one of my 54 or is there a difference between 54 and 55?

Have not heard from the original poster, so I assume he has passed on this. I will look into what is involved in shipping to Germany for you. As I stated earlier I may have to purchase packaging materials which would be added to the cost, as I don't have anything suitable here to contain it. I checked out some new radiator boxes at the local garage and they don't fit this beast. I thought I could use one of those and add extra padding, but not possible with what was available. I think if I do ship to you, I would have to build something for it and add that to the cost. Will try to keep the rad cost and box building total to $100 USD but actual shipping cost would be extra. My 1956 Cadillac Master Parts List show that this Harrison radiator #3132357 is good for 1954 - 1956 Cadillac, without AC. My Hollander Interchange manual from 1959 also provided the same information. Can't remember what the differences are with an AC and a non-AC radiator. If you are still interested let me know and I will investigate shipping. If you have a courier preference please advise. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Nickl on September 19, 2022, 05:36:55 PM
Quote from: Lexi on September 19, 2022, 03:54:20 PMHave not heard from the original poster, so I assume he has passed on this. I will look into what is involved in shipping to Germany for you. As I stated earlier I may have to purchase packaging materials which would be added to the cost, as I don't have anything suitable here to contain it. I checked out some new radiator boxes at the local garage and they don't fit this beast. I thought I could use one of those and add extra padding, but not possible with what was available. I think if I do ship to you, I would have to build something for it and add that to the cost. Will try to keep the rad cost and box building total to $100 USD but actual shipping cost would be extra. My 1956 Cadillac Master Parts List show that this Harrison radiator #3132357 is good for 1954 - 1956 Cadillac, without AC. My Hollander Interchange manual from 1959 also provided the same information. Can't remember what the differences are with an AC and a non-AC radiator. If you are still interested let me know and I will investigate shipping. If you have a courier preference please advise. Clay/Lexi
Sounds great so let me know what do you want total and I will send you the money via pay pal...
Fedex will be great but depending how much it will cost... usps will be good too
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: V63 on September 20, 2022, 10:53:46 AM
I do have an original copper radiator from a factory AC equipped 1955 sedan. It's in very good used condition.
With rear clear discharge tubes.
 It is in phoenix 85004
The car had 70k actual miles on it when parted out. I still have many other parts to the car, to include the AC system .
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 20, 2022, 03:47:42 PM
Sorry for the delay to this thread but I was out sick over the past few days.  I'm still interested but it appears that the pinhole leak has gone away?  I haven't seen any further leaks and she's retaining both pressure and fluid.  I am still interested in either radiator from Lexi or V63 but if Nickl has grabbed the radiator from Lexi then I'll work with V63.
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Nickl on September 20, 2022, 06:05:58 PM
Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 20, 2022, 03:47:42 PMSorry for the delay to this thread but I was out sick over the past few days.  I'm still interested but it appears that the pinhole leak has gone away?  I haven't seen any further leaks and she's retaining both pressure and fluid.  I am still interested in either radiator from Lexi or V63 but if Nickl has grabbed the radiator from Lexi then I'll work with V63.
Will take both if I can... it's hard to find parts here in Germany
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 21, 2022, 01:06:36 PM
Going to build some packaging for it today and then off to Post Office to get a shipping quote in a day or 2. May also check with DHL as they are a major European courier who I believe have a local office. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 21, 2022, 06:32:17 PM

Nickl you can be my guest if it helps keep your Cadillac running in Germany.  I may also have some spare parts for you as well that I don't need.
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 21, 2022, 08:25:53 PM
Hey Tim, when I did not hear from you I responded to Nickl's enquiry. Will PM Nickl to see if he still wants it, if not its yours. I made a lightweight pine frame/box for it, packed with cardboard and attached cardboard to exterior with heavy staples. It is now ready to ship. Hope you are feeling better.  Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 21, 2022, 08:50:02 PM
Nickl a PM has been sent to you. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: 55 CDV Fan 82 on September 22, 2022, 04:59:38 PM

Lexi,

Thank you.  I could definitely use it.  Although I don't have a leak at the moment it doesn't mean it can't come back.  I'd hate to see my 55 sit.  Of course since Nickl responded first its his but if he passes I'll take it.
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 22, 2022, 05:34:16 PM
Shipping quotes to Europe are awfully expensive. Ouch! Now I know why member Roger Zimmermann has commented on it in the past. I also had to acquire materials and spent several hours building a box for it out of solid wood and thick cardboard to make it fit in a very strong yet lightweight & very slim line sturdy custom case. Only way to cut down on shipping cost was to make it with minimal clearance to the object yet very sturdy. Shipping based on size and weight, so smaller = a cheaper rate. As previously alluded to I will have pass on a nominal sum to cover this as I had nothing here to contain it. So I had to build. Don't know what shipping is to you but I will send a PM if Nickl passes. Just hope it goes to a good home. I now have a spare radiator ready to go, so I no longer need this as a back up for my car. As a purist I was never keen on using it as the drain cock is in the wrong place for my year, though the rad would have fit and good to go if need be. I liked that it was not all dented up or roached out, but should go to a '55 or possibly '54 owner.  Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 22, 2022, 05:47:20 PM
Attached is an image of the slim line case I built for the rad just prior to sealing it, in case anyone has one of these beasts to ship. Cardboard lined both the inside and industrially stapled to the wooden perimeter. The rad's existing flange mounting holes on each side were used to accept screws to mount it securely to the wood, so it will not move in transit. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 22, 2022, 09:33:51 PM
I had a radiator shipped from USA to Tasmania.   The first two pictures show the damage when I opened it.

Contacted the seller, and they sent another one, and the next two pictures show how it arrived.   I got the delivery person to witness the opening before he left, and same thing.   But, this time, straight through the box and radiator.

The third time, the shipper put a pair of sheets of plywood between the package and the radiator, and all was good.

Thankfully, I only had to pay the initial part cost, and freight.   This would have been a claim against the freighting department, but it was still a horrible inconvenience, having to wait for the final good radiator.   What made it worse, was that it was for a customers' car.

Bruce. >:D
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 22, 2022, 11:35:53 PM
Not much protection there. Not a good call on the shipper/manufacturer's part. The one I packaged here is layered with several sheets of cardboard, even though I suspect it will be re-cored. Still, these items should not sustain that kind of damage. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: 6262 on September 23, 2022, 11:21:39 AM
Quote from: Lexi on September 22, 2022, 05:34:16 PMShipping quotes to Europe are awfully expensive. Ouch! Now I know why member Roger Zimmermann has commented on it in the past. I also had to acquire materials and spent several hours building a box for it out of solid wood and thick cardboard to make it fit in a very strong yet lightweight & very slim line sturdy custom case. Only way to cut down on shipping cost was to make it with minimal clearance to the object yet very sturdy. Shipping based on size and weight, so smaller = a cheaper rate. As previously alluded to I will have pass on a nominal sum to cover this as I had nothing here to contain it. So I had to build. Don't know what shipping is to you but I will send a PM if Nickl passes. Just hope it goes to a good home. I now have a spare radiator ready to go, so I no longer need this as a back up for my car. As a purist I was never keen on using it as the drain cock is in the wrong place for my year, though the rad would have fit and good to go if need be. I liked that it was not all dented up or roached out, but should go to a '55 or possibly '54 owner.  Clay/Lexi

Shipping big items like this to Germany is normally much cheaper if you use a shipping service. This company sends a container once a month. They are located in Texas.

https://www.usa-importservice.de/
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 23, 2022, 11:37:22 AM
That could be a valuable tip. I live in Canada and not sure what service like that we have here. A buddy is a shipping broker and I will ask about this. Will try and save the buyer some shipping cost. Thanks for your input. Clay/Lexi
Title: Re: In search of reproduction or refurbished radiator 1955 Cadillac w/AC
Post by: Lexi on September 23, 2022, 04:39:17 PM
A quick check with the shipping consultant I use who said as a low volume, perhaps one time user, I am stuck using the main carriers here which do use a consolidated service as you suggested-where my stuff would end up anyhow but at a premium (because I won't get a discount due to low volume). Looks like Canada Post is it for low price but the commercial carriers would offer certain advantages that Canada Post does not, but at a higher cost. Not a lot of options here in Canada. Clay/Lexi