News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Chrome Cleaning and Polish...
Last post by Jay Friedman - Today at 02:06:48 PM
I prefer Wright's Brass Polish for chrome.  It was recommended to me as having less "abrasive" than other polishes.
I dont know if they are widely available in the USA but I fitted Kontio whitepaw radials on my 57 Seville.They are from Finland and in the UK they are around 30% cheaper than Coker and Diamondback tyres. Made a huge difference to the handling and diving comfort compared to the bias belted tyres I removed
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Fan belt 1938 346 size
Last post by toybox - Today at 01:53:11 PM
  I think if you go to a heavy equipment parts supply you may find a comparable belt that nobody would question. The hard one for me was the generator belt. Tim
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1941 Hydra-Matic Transmiss...
Last post by toybox - Today at 01:41:27 PM
 Bruce, Did you know you could heat it in your kitchen oven to about 300 and it will just side on?  Tim
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 6 volt Group 2 batteries
Last post by toybox - Today at 01:35:55 PM
I have been running Optimas Inside the old stock large case six volts. They fit in on an angle and the posts' are right where the stock ones were before they were cut out. Nobody has ever noticed at showtime. The trick now days is to find the old large cases.  Tim
If the car isn't that rusty I would drop the tank. Actually I would regardless.  It's not that difficult to do and a lift is definitely not necessary. In-tank pumps are quieter and longer lived than external.

If the tank is full (they always are when the fuel pump dies), a cheap siphon is your friend. Possibly powering the fuel pump while whacking the tank with a rubber mallet might shock the pump past the dead spot and run long enough to drain the tank with the supply hose disconnected.
I finally got the dash back together after a bunch of under-dash wire fixing -- driven initially by a loss of power to my in-tank fuel pump -- and happily had a running car again, for about 2 miles.  Another *!@# tow...

My in-tank fuel pump (which is how the car has worked for years after a switch to a carburetor) seems to have died.  I ran a wire directly from the battery to the pump connector to validate that my wiring wasn't to blame and the pump didn't come on.  Previously, my running a wire along the side of the car from the battery was how I was moving the car around while I sorted out the electrical problem that had sapped power from the pump.  That the direct line now no longer lights up the pump makes me assume that the pump has now completely died.

I'm pretty discouraged, to say the least!

Rather than dropping the tank and removing/replacing the pump, I'm considering simply adding a new electrical pump outside of the tank.  The idea would be to pull fuel through the old (and not operational) in-tank fuel pump.

Does that sound like a simpler solution than dropping the tank?  I don't have a lift which makes under-car work hard and I'm frankly intimidated by the idea of dropping the tank.

Thoughts?

Gary
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 6 volt Group 2 batteries
Last post by Classic - Today at 01:01:49 PM
Type 2 batteries are 9-3/8" high.  Type GC2 batteries are 10-5/8" high. Length and width of both are the same.  If you can live with the extra 1-1/4" height, they are a possible replacement.  GC2 batteries are Golf Cart batteries and are widely available - Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Interstate, NAPA, etc.  They are used in other applications as well - Motorhomes(4 or 6), old farm and construction equipment, etc.
This may help.
Gene
Want To Buy - Parts / 1970 FW Brougham windows.
Last post by jwwseville60 - Today at 12:44:24 PM
Im in need of 2 passenger windows.
The Brougham has different ones from the standard Fleetwood sedan.
Thanks!  :)
Restoration Corner / Re: 70 Fleetwood mini resto
Last post by jwwseville60 - Today at 12:42:26 PM
Rear windows didnt fit.
This FW Brougham has different windows from a regular Fleetwood.
If anyone knows of any let me know. :)