News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

A set of six cut out by hand. Fall out of about another six.

Cleaned and sanded and started adding stain. 

One more fall out that I cracked staining .I need to let these sit till tomorrow and I will start applying clear coat.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Clewisiii

It is time to sand and flatten the finish. Then a few more coats.

I will need to have a very light hand so that I do not break one sanding like last time.

Clewisiii

Another coat at 2 pm. And another at 6.  After that I should be done.  I ordered another set of the chrome frames for the veneer.   Just to give me extras in case I have fall out during rechroming.

Clewisiii

They are done.  I am happy.  Original in center for comparison.  It was $430 in materials to make these. I have a lot of extra.

I may make a custom center console with all original interior materials including wood veneer.   I will build a small foundry set up and make custom zinc trim to have chromed. 

Clewisiii

So the goal is not to have a finished car.  The goal is to enjoy every little step along the way, and celebrate every little success you can.

I needed another color of vinyl for the border edge for the carpet panels, and the lower skirt around the rear seat.  I asked SMS and they did not have any references to match up this material. 

I went to a local auto upholstery shop, that has been in business for 105 years, to reach out and ask for advice on a few of the things I am trying to do.  I keep trying to pay the lady who runs it for her time, but she refuses to take money.  She said she is just happy someone is excited to learn.   I showed her my carpet sample and told her what I needed.  She said that is Adriatic blue, and she found a supplier that had some scraps.  Buying scraps plus shipping cost me $100. But I have been looking for a vinyl to work here for 2 years.  So this week, or weekend, I am going to get these carpet pieces on the doors.

I will also be working on the rear parcel shelf.  I bout a blue from SEM that I hope is right to match this darker blue.

Clewisiii

On to cutting the parcel shelf.  I might space these speaker holes farther apart then original.  When it turns to swiss cheese it gets very unstable.

James Landi

As you so well have taught us through this process, it's all in the DETAILS.  Applying today's design cues, hues, and colors will not yield the full effect of the 1961 Cadillac design.  I was fortunate to own a '61 convertible back in 1965...I recall my mother's comment when she saw my car  for the first time with its red leather interior.  She said, "It reflects what I think an exclusive men's  golf club interior might look like."   I thought, at the time and now,that she nailed it. Cadillacs of that period were the most lavish representation and expression of our design and culture.    THank you for including us on your journey.  James

Clewisiii

Speaker holes cut.  I don't like how soft the material gets after cutting.  Now I need to transfer the attachment clips.

Clewisiii

I have been trying to decide how to reattach these clips for a while now.

They were originally punch crimped into the panel board.

Some aluminum rivets hammered flat works great.

Clewisiii

Well they are all in and they fit.  Put a coat of black paint on the rivet heads.  They will be painted again after wrapping.  I just have to decide if I want to use this vinyl screen material. 

CadillacGlasses

This is really cool Carl - Its inspiring me to take on bits of my interior myself... I think getting the guidance of an experienced shop like you've been doing is a huge advantage
29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)

Clewisiii

So do any of you know about the electric car company Faraday Future.  I started doing interior work for them back in 2015.  They have gone bankrupt 3 or 4 times since then. But at one time we were making a panel wrapped in speaker fabric.  After they went under I kept some extra leftover material. 

This is a finer fabric then original.  But it is a real speaker fabric.  I am thinking about wrapping my parcel shelf with this.  And may do two layers with the vinyl material. 

Clewisiii

Well my materials are ready.  But I do not want to mix glue. Then clean out the glue spray equipment starting this late at night.   I will have this ready to glue spray starting at 6 pm tomorrow

Clewisiii

So now my debate, do I leave just the first layer of smooth fabric, or do I put on the heavy screen over it. 

Clewisiii

Yup I do like the heavier layer.  Glued that down then started the paint.

Clewisiii

So the original was sewn around the perimeter before it was painted.  I wasn't going to do that.  Just rely on the glue.  But now I am worried that over time, and under sun load, the glue would release from the vinyl screen.  So I am going to sew the perimeter tomorrow then recoat with paint.  Then on the weekend sew the front vinyl edge.

suki5414

did you get that heavier layer material from SMS? is that their equivalent of what was on there originally? my shelf covering is disintegrating.
1977 Eldorado (my first car at age 15-sold)
1982 Eldorado (sold)
1968 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1989 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1961 Fleetwood
1964 Series 62

Clewisiii

No I did not get that from SMS.  I got it from eBay.