News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

So Brazilian Rosewood is endangered and under import restrictions.  So I have been searching for an alternative to restore my rosewood door panel inserts. 

I have settled on Italian Palmwood.  The grain and coloring is very close to the original. But compare the protected dark area under the grab handle, to the faded parts that were exposed.  Here is a small sample of Palmwood with just a clear coat.  It matched the faded area great.  I am going to try some red stain to darken it up and make another sample.   

I should have plenty for my four doors, plus sell a few sets to any other Fleetwood owners.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

suki5414

FYI, if you're willing to pay up, Brazilian Rosewood can be found. Musical Instrument building websites have legit legal pieces that can work if you can find it. I bought some in the US and I am waiting for some pieces from Spain.
1977 Eldorado (my first car at age 15-sold)
1982 Eldorado (sold)
1968 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1989 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1961 Fleetwood
1964 Series 62

David Greenburg

That's an interesting observation by Steven.  When I removed one of mine for refinishing, the part under the handle looked much darker than older pictures I've seen of these cars, or various guitars I'm familiar with.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

I will accept it but question If it is true here since these are zinc and chromed.  The chrome is inert. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

For some reason I wanted to buy vintage luggage to match my cars interior to keep in the trunk.  I am going to buy a matching travel make up case for tools and repair supplies.

Clewisiii

Cutting new door cards is killing my wrist. And I need to buy new hole punches. I need some larger sizes and my old cheap set is not cutting well.

Clewisiii

Ok next step.  I need to find appropriate pop rivets to reinstall the top roll.

I need to redo the foam armrest top.

I need to order chipboard sheets as a base for the upper vinyl pieces.

I need to order new leather.  I do not like the leather from SMS.

I will cut and glue on the lower carpet panels this weekend.

Clewisiii

Testing different panel attachment fasteners. 

The white birds beaks hold in the door panel much stronger. But they have very little tolerance in position and thickness.  They also require bigger holes in the door panel.

The black Christmas tree style requires a smaller panel hole. And are not as critical for position.

I will not be able to reuse the original metal edge and nails. They are to deformed and rusted.

Clewisiii

Checking the alignment of my panel attachment holes today. I had to make sure they were mirrored from LH to RH door. 

They are.  Now I need to transfer the holes.

I need to figure out the rivets for the upper roll.

The vinyl that binds the edge of the carpet is a darker color. I have bought a few samples. But I do not like anything I have yet. So I need to find 2 yards of vinyl so that I can make up the bottom carpet samples.

Clewisiii

All attachment holes for front door have been transferred.

The lower carpet panels have been cut.
I must sew on the vinyl binding edge before I glue them to the panel.  This is a darker vinyl compared to the rest.  SMS did not have a reference for this.  I have bought 4 different vinyls and I am still not happy.  I will need to look some more.

Cadillac Jack 82

Just curious but is that the same type of loop for the carpet?  Looks slightly different.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Clewisiii

My carpet is not loop.  It is cut pile

Clewisiii

Dang. I did not have any 1/8 inch washers to lock these pop rivets on the back. 

I will need to pick some up on my way home tomorrow. 

Clewisiii

Took a minute to install those rivets.  I could not quickly get washers with a small enough hole. So I had to hammer all of those with punches to bend them to lock to the washers

Clewisiii

Back to this again. We will see if I can get the door panel upper sewn and wrapped tomorrow. 

Clewisiii

Over the last year I have made three test pieces of this blind pleat fabric insert. 

Since the fabric is woven to reflect the pleats you have to be very good with your pattern and foam layout.

I t was a great success today.  The pleats worked out well.  Now I have to sew the pleated insert to the upper panel.  Once I start it will go quick.  But I am going to wait until my excitement that this is working go down so that I can focus.

Clewisiii

And I screwed up. I had an out of position stitch.  I will take this back apart and see if I can adjust and save it.

2manycars

I really admire you in that you set out to learn the upholstery work, procure equipment, and take on that work yourself. What I see in the photos so far looks great!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Clewisiii

I didn't get much interest is sets of these veneers. So I am just hand cutting my own for now.

The first is a perfect fit. Maybe I will cut these.  Then stain and finish this weekend

I will still need to rechrome my trim pieces before I use them.

2manycars

Quote from: Clewisiii on May 19, 2022, 08:32:47 PM
I didn't get much interest is sets of these veneers. So I am just hand cutting my own for now.

The first is a perfect fit. Maybe I will cut these.  Then stain and finish this weekend

I will still need to rechrome my trim pieces before I use them.
That looks good. I don't think it gets any better than that.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)