News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Rebuilt Brake Caliper Issues

Started by Cadillac Nut, August 30, 2022, 04:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

I sent the proportioning valve in to be rebuilt, I found a rebuilder.  It has to be either the valve or the master cylinder. 

Big Fins

I'm still siding with the MC having air in it. I invented new cuss words when I did mine. Once I had all the air out of the MC, the brakes came right in. I went through 2 quarts of brake fluid before finding out the MC was air locked. Fluid flowed through everything, just as it's supposed to. Still no pedal.

I filled the MC to the top, put on the cover, removed it and placed it in the bench vise standing straight up. I pushed the piston up from the bottom and expelled more air. Light taps with a hammer and a few more burps. After that, I installed pipe plugs in the ports and reinstalled the unit, then bled the entire system again. Great pedal, seated the pads and shoes, then made final rear adjustments. Stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cadillac Nut

But I have rear brakes, block off front port on master cylinder and I have rear brakes.  So I don't think the master cylinder has air in it or I wouldn't have any brakes.  I did exactly what you did to the master cylinder. before I installed it and got all the air out  I'm waiting for the proportioning valve to come back.  After that I am replacing the master cylinder with another one, bleeding everything again and then will post back with the results. 

Cadillac Nut

Wanted to give an update, after obtaining a replacement proportioning valve and having that one rebuilt, and then bleeding the brakes again, I now have brakes that work excellent. One wheel I had to bleed twice, these brakes are a little tricky to bleed.   So the issue was my proportioning valve.  Thanks to everyone who helped

cadillacmike68

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 02, 2022, 06:02:38 PMThat style does just use a single washer.  I have had issues with those leaking too lately, I think its just low quality parts.  Makes you feel safe when its thing like brakes eh?

I'm not a 69 expert but to me that looks like perhaps some sort of drum to disc conversion?  The caliper doesn't look right to be especially and the hex bolts look really not stock but I'm more used to the 70's so maybe they are correct?   

Cadillac for 1969 was 100% disc brakes.

When I had a pedal to the floor problem a few years ago, it was the master cylinder.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Joe G 12138

Garrett: Thanks for taking the time to follow up with the final outcome. Many people have long strings, with lots of contributors,  problems eventually get resolved, but everybody following along never finds out what really worked to find the problem. We are ALL still learning. Thank you!    Joe Gibeault

Cadillac Nut

I didn't want to leave people hanging, a lot of great info was provided.  Hopefully this will help someone in the future working on one of these cars.