News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The best Cadillacs ever made?

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, September 04, 2022, 08:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robailey

I think that the best Cadillacs ever made are the three that I own. I love them!
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

64\/54Cadillacking

So true in regards to radical changes in styling and suspension design setup going from a '56 to the '57 model years.

The 54-56's were tall, bubbly cars with front king pins, and rear leafs, and starting in '57, Cadillac lowered the cars substantially as they had this low slung look to them using the X-frame, with new ball-joint front suspension and a full rear 4-link coil spring suspension.

I believe in 1957, Cadillac really modernized the car mostly in its suspension setup with a better riding/handling design using the ball joints and rear coils.

It's kinda how like the 1960-64 Cadillacs were still sorta based off 1950's styling and rear upper ball joint suspension/X-frame design vs the 1965 models that came with the more modern full perimeter frame and the true 4 trailing link arms that Cadillac implemented after doing away with rear upper control arm/ball-joint type design that was mounted above the rear axle from 57-64.

Cadillac pretty much didn't change their frame design or suspension design for many many years after that. Maybe adjusting spring rates and shock valve dampening and some other minor changes, but overall most Cadillacs from the mid to late 60's-1970's look very similar underneath.

I would really love to drive a 77-79 Fleetwood. I have always liked the styling of those cars and even to this day, I believe they have one of the best styled interiors and the most comfy looking pillow top seats. They're probably the last true Cadillac made which used a Cadillac only engine/trans which was also the last reliable, good looking and great performing full size Cadillac ever besides for the 92 Broughams with the 5.7L.

However, I'd rather own a 77-79.😎
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

jdemerson

Quote from: James Landi on September 07, 2022, 07:43:54 AMWith regard to progress and improvement, one way to tease out the contrasts would have us focus not only on engine improvements which is a great idea , but also on driving dynamics, comfort, and durability. 

Having lived through the change from king pin front suspension to ball joints and rubber upper control arm bushings, torsion bars, single leaf rear springs, vacuum actuated level control, the advent of rear mounted ac evaporators and electronic comfort control, the introduction of molybrium rings and hardened valves, alumunium blocks with iron heads, variable dampening for shocks, variable displacement engines, heads up displays, etc, etc, there's so much to discuss. 

Applying some of those criteria, I think the most radical changes occurred between the '56 and '57 model years and, of course, the 76 to 77 years.    So much was different.    James 
Excellent points made! I had overlooked 1957 as a strong candidate for "most improved", and it definitely belongs on the list. I'd add that the design/style was a distinctive change and a stunner -- especially in the Eldorado Biarritz and Eldorado Seville.  The Eldorado Brougham is of course a unique case. These three models, in particular, stand out for their style as well as the engineering innovations. Of course style is always subjective...
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

jdemerson

Quote from: 64\/54Cadillacking on September 08, 2022, 06:01:48 AMSo true in regards to radical changes in styling and suspension design setup going from a '56 to the '57 model years.

The 54-56's were tall, bubbly cars with front king pins, and rear leafs, and starting in '57, Cadillac lowered the cars substantially as they had this low slung look to them using the X-frame, with new ball-joint front suspension and a full rear 4-link coil spring suspension.

I believe in 1957, Cadillac really modernized the car mostly in its suspension setup with a better riding/handling design using the ball joints and rear coils.

It's kinda how like the 1960-64 Cadillacs were still sorta based off 1950's styling and rear upper ball joint suspension/X-frame design vs the 1965 models that came with the more modern full perimeter frame and the true 4 trailing link arms that Cadillac implemented after doing away with rear upper control arm/ball-joint type design that was mounted above the rear axle from 57-64.

Cadillac pretty much didn't change their frame design or suspension design for many many years after that. Maybe adjusting spring rates and shock valve dampening and some other minor changes, but overall most Cadillacs from the mid to late 60's-1970's look very similar underneath.

I would really love to drive a 77-79 Fleetwood. I have always liked the styling of those cars and even to this day, I believe they have one of the best styled interiors and the most comfy looking pillow top seats. They're probably the last true Cadillac made which used a Cadillac only engine/trans which was also the last reliable, good looking and great performing full size Cadillac ever besides for the 92 Broughams with the 5.7L.

However, I'd rather own a 77-79.😎
^^^  :)
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

jwwseville60

Though I own a 64 convertible and not a sedan,
to my eye the 1964 Sedan Deville may come close.The CDV too.

It has a great powertrain of a 429 and turbo 400
Tasteful modest fins
Really nice hubcaps
Conservative, sleek and truly elegant overall styling (It looks like a longer CDV)
Comfortable, classy and modern interior with little plastic and no fake wood appliqué.
Excellent Auto control R12 AC (I think this was an industry first)
Nice power steering feel
Good brakes & decent handling
Safety? You are piloting a 5600 lb. Caddy with seatbelts. (I hope)
A front grill and lights like space age sculpture.

The car is the sweet spot in Caddy design & engineering as far as pre-1990 Caddies. (For me)

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 10.11.28 AM.jpeg

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Chris Cummings

Since I was 15 years old, I've believed that this is the best Cadillac.  In my fifties, I finally acquired one.  The 1930 V-16 was what lifted Cadillac into the top tier of luxury automakers for the first time.  It was a technological tour de force - hydraulic valve silencers, unheard-of smoothness, vacuum assisted brakes, etc.  Cadillac would customize it for you (Celestiq is nothing new in that department).  And it had presence for days.  Too bad about a stock market crash that spoiled the V-16's debut.

jdemerson

Quote from: Chris Cummings on September 09, 2022, 08:37:51 PMSince I was 15 years old, I've believed that this is the best Cadillac.  In my fifties, I finally acquired one.  The 1930 V-16 was what lifted Cadillac into the top tier of luxury automakers for the first time.  It was a technological tour de force - hydraulic valve silencers, unheard-of smoothness, vacuum assisted brakes, etc.  Cadillac would customize it for you (Celestiq is nothing new in that department).  And it had presence for days.  Too bad about a stock market crash that spoiled the V-16's debut.
Who could argue over the V-16 being "best" and "most improved" over predecessors? Cadillac judged the debut to be successful beyond its forecasts -- with 2500 1930 models produced; that was more than half of the 4076 cars produced during the 11-year run. Chris, thanks for the stunning photo of the 1930!
John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The V8 was also an important advancement when introduced in 1914. There had been so many Cadillac milestones throughout its long and distinguished history it would be difficult to rank them. Despite the epic unfortunate timing of the V16's unveiling, the engine did much to cement Cadillac's place as one of the world's premiere auto manufacturers. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jwwseville60

Looking for the best overall Caddy is difficult.
Value for the money comes into play, so V16 models may be too exotic.
Lets not forget the 1953 models:

First year for factory AC (that worked)
12 Volts (A big deal at the time)
Power steering
Cool modern styling
Really well built
Lifetime CLC

jdemerson

Quote from: jwwseville60 on September 10, 2022, 11:15:19 AMLooking for the best overall Caddy is difficult.
Value for the money comes into play, so V16 models may be too exotic.
Lets not forget the 1953 models:

First year for factory AC (that worked)
12 Volts (A big deal at the time)
Power steering and brakes
Cool modern styling
Really well built
Standard 4 door 61 model saved the buyer some dough
John,

I appreciate the '53s and their introduction of the 12-volt system and optional AC. In general, the '53s were similar to their predecessors. Power steering became an option in 1952 (mine has it). Power brakes were NOT available until 1954. The Series 61 models were last offered in the middle of the 1951 model year and were not available in 1953 or 1952. All Cadillacs in the 1950 to 1953 generation had "cool modern styling" and were "really well-built".

The '53 Eldorado was a special case and it came with standard power steering. But even it did not have power brakes or AC.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

jwwseville60

Lifetime CLC

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

First year for A/C in a Cadillac convertible was 1956. At Macungie there was a 1951 Series 62 convertible that had been returned to the factory for the installation of air conditioning.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

JerRita

Choosing the best is a subjective question. I can say the last real Cadillacs were the 90-92 Broughams especially w/ the 5.7. We had one over 20 years and put 375K on it with nothing more than maintenance in the northeast. It had minor rust issues and still got thumbs up even towards the end. JeRita 
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: jwwseville60 on September 09, 2022, 04:10:51 PMThough I own a 64 convertible and not a sedan,
to my eye the 1964 Sedan Deville may come close.The CDV too.

It has a great powertrain of a 429 and turbo 400
Tasteful modest fins
Really nice hubcaps
Conservative, sleek and truly elegant overall styling (It looks like a longer CDV)
Comfortable, classy and modern interior with little plastic and no fake wood appliqué.
Excellent Auto control R12 AC (I think this was an industry first)
Nice power steering feel
Good brakes & decent handling
Safety? You are piloting a 5600 lb. Caddy with seatbelts. (I hope)
A front grill and lights like space age sculpture.

The car is the sweet spot in Caddy design & engineering as far as pre-1990 Caddies. (For me)

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 10.11.28 AM.jpeg

I also wholeheartedly agree with all the points you made about the 64 Cadillacs.

It was a very good year in terms of style just like the 63's were, the 64-63 is sort of a throwback of the 1960 Cads styling cues but on a much more restrained level. The '60 Cads smoothed out the body sides which made for a much sleeker profile yet still retained the some of the intense sculptured grill of the 59's.

You definitely can see a lot of design similarities of the '60 Caddy's in the 63-64's in the grill, bumper, and headlamp design.

I also adore my 64, and personally feel it's one of the best Cadillacs made from the 60's specifically because of the introduction of the 429 and TH400 in the Devilles and Fleetwoods which makes for a much more refined improved driving experience.

The interiors were still super top notch with very high build quality and it performs like a hot rod! These cars were sleepers for sure. They are elegant yet sporty in Deville form, but very formal and extremely classy in the Fleetwoods with their different use of exterior trim with lower stainless rocker panel and fender skirt chrome trim, different rounded off roof line. The thicker cushier better styled leather seats and those specific Marshall coil spring design.

Not to mention the completely leather wrapped door panels and real wood veneers just make the 63-64 Fleetwoods stand out so much, especially in all black.

These were definitely heavy cars, but they didn't weigh anywhere close to 5600lbs, but more like 5000-5150lbs with AC. An old motor trend and car life review of these cars confirm that with their test drives.

These were also very easy cars to whip around and to be able to cruise in all day comfort. Cadillac took all the big car feel in terms of handling and made them very manageable to drive considering the size and heft of the car mainly because of how absolutely feather light the steering is on the 64. Is scary light IMO.

Great points made by so many members here. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I too agree the 92 Brougham being the last classic traditional looking Cadillac ever made using old school technology and build quality.

Once they went with all the modern era materials, bland, cheap plasticky build quality that took away all the detail and unique ornate trim of the old Fleetwoods and Brougham's, is when Cadillac truly lost their way.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

2 Devilles

I am definitely biased, but I'd say best looking is the 1960, best overall would be the 1970 rear wheel drive models  :D
Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

jdemerson

My additional nominations, besides the beautiful '60s, for Best Looking would be:
1930 V16
1938 Sixty Special
1941 Cadillac
1955 Coupe DeVille (exceptionally clean design)
1967 Eldorado
1979 Eldorado
2014 ELR   (a stunner, even nicer than the CTS Coupe)

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

V63

Well, I have experienced many Cadillacs of almost every era and i love a lot about each of them.

what might be a surprise is I would default to my 2009 DTS 'platinum' as best overall.

My reasons are that they embody all the performance, technology reliability and quality we expect. They have over the top the creature comforts to include resurrection of guidematic auto dimming. Beautiful genuine wood inlay trim, perforated all leather interior to include the dash top. Illuminate door sills. All Heated seats and steering wheel...cooled seats, incredible sound system. My car has the optional 2 tone interior cashmere with expresso brown seats/dash/carpet. Absolutely Incredible AC!

I have logged the most miles on these 06-11 DTS of any Cadillac ever. A wonderful ride indeed.

V63

Quote from: V63 on September 18, 2022, 02:15:51 AMWell, I have experienced many Cadillacs of almost every era and i love a lot about each of them.

what might be a surprise is I would default to my 2009 DTS 'platinum' as best overall.

My reasons are that they embody all the performance, technology reliability and quality we expect. They have over the top the creature comforts to include resurrection of guidematic auto dimming. Beautiful genuine wood inlay trim, perforated all leather interior to include the dash top. Illuminate door sills. All Heated seats and steering wheel...cooled seats, incredible sound system. My car has the optional 2 tone interior cashmere with expresso brown seats/dash/carpet. Absolutely Incredible AC!

I have logged the most miles on these 06-11 DTS of any Cadillac ever. A wonderful ride indeed.

I remember when this generation first came out (2006 models) and club members had opportunity to them ... they raved about the 2nd coming of a Cadillac!

jdemerson

Quote from: V63 on September 18, 2022, 02:15:51 AM...I would default to my 2009 DTS 'platinum' as best overall.

Thanks for the post! An unexpected but interesting and valid perspective. Cadillacs, like all makes, generally improve over the decades.

How would the last generation DTS Platinum compare to, say, a 2019-2020 Cadillac CT6 Platinum Blackwing or CT6-V Blackwing? My guess is that a parallel analysis would lead to a conclusion that the 2019-2020 Blackwings are "best" of all by the criteria used here. And of course styling is subjective, but those Blackwing models are very handsome cars with their rear-drive configuration. (I do think that the 2006-2011 DTS sedans had an understated classic elegance.)

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X

V63

I would tend to agree, I have yet to own a CT6... although I test drove a new one of an august and was disappointed with the AC performance.