News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Being Forgettable

Started by Carfreak, September 08, 2022, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carfreak

At the Summer CLC Board Meeting, Past President Barry Wheeler made a proposal. He explained if 50% of the approximate 6,000 CLC members would contribute just $5 per month, the Museum could receive $15,000 a month in donations. 

Just $5?!?  Barry reasoned that most of our members and supporters would not miss that amount; it would be 'forgettable'.  Most of us likely spend much more each week 'willy nilly' such as watching a movie, enjoying a drink at our fav coffee house, an ice cream cone, etc.  Heck, even candy bars are close to $2 now. 

He further discussed, it is a very simple, 5 minute task to make such a donation (or larger amount) from the new CLC Museum website:  https://www.cadillaclasallemuseum.org/donations/  and be sure to make it as recurring each month!!

Barry's proposal stated if this were to happen, the CLC Museum could see up to $180,000 annually in donations. 

For the most part, we all dislike fundraisers; we don't want to be pestered on the phone, don't want to receive solicitations in the mail or email but I thought it was such a great idea, I signed up and hope you will consider to do so also. 

$5, $10, $25 a month or more - it all helps keep the lights on, insurance and maintenance costs paid, perhaps help to update the displays in the Museum Building at Gilmore or the planned future expansion. 

Thanks for listening. 

PS - I recently volunteered to take over the task of mailing out donation letters from the CLC MRC so I hope many of you will step up and help keep me busy for a long time in the future. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

James Landi

Support of the museum is certainly worthy of everyone's support,though I haven't contributed. We're all overwhelmed by email and mail and media "asks" for worthy causes.  I'm very much in favor of an additional charge as part of the annual membership fee. Perhaps as part of the renewal membership mailing, a simple explanation of the reason for an additional charge?  Sustaining and improving the organization is in everyone's best interest.  James

Lexi

Ditto the comments made by James. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

So long as they don't sell our info to these donation "hogs" and have exhausted all the funding from foundations, GM, etc.
I give donations once a year, and the rest of the year, I get 2-3 letters in the mail daily that I have to throw out to recycle.  If an organization sends too many, I don't give to them any more.
The American people are generous with their wealth, and are taken advantage of in my opinion.
I don't know how other brands maintain their museums but someone should get that info for comparison.   Most are independents that have a collection and create a museum to help pay for the upkeep, but I don't know that's a sustainable model.  Lots of museums go to auction.   I was hoping to get up there this year, but the covid smashed my plans again.

Lexi

More good points.  Don't sell my contact info. And yes Americans are a generous people, but much of the world has crapped all over the US from a high height. I don't like that. A grateful neighbor. Clay/Lexi

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Guys, I wanted to reassure you on one point you've made. Have you ever read "the fine print" in your CLC Directory? I quote: "This Directory is intended solely for the personal use of Cadillac & LaSalle Club members.

The use of the Directory for solicitation or any commercial and/or political use is prohibited. It may not be sold or bartered within ten years of the date of publication." In other words, when you're through with a year, put it in the landfill or recycle bin.

A full explanation of this project will be in the S/S in the near future. I do want to stress one thing. This project is purely voluntary. No one is going to ask you as to whether or not you are participating in the project.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Tom Hall 7485

Speaking of "forgettable", what is the deadline for the museum corporation to construct the remaining 12,000 square feet that is due Gilmore?
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.