News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Intermittent door lock operation w/ or without remote

Started by TonyZappone #2624, September 09, 2022, 05:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyZappone #2624

2016 CT6 platinum is at Cadillac dealer in Albany.  A month ago, door locks became not responsive to remotes, or inside lock buttons.  Brought car to dealer, stopped doing it, not diagnostic.  Two weeks later happened again, dealer could observe problem.  Dealer disconnected battery "to reset system".  $193 charge, warranty won't cover, no parts used.  Problem goes away.  1 week later, same problem.  Return to dealer, problem corrects itself.  I left car, dealer claims they cannot work on car unless  problem is evident.  I would have thought there are some bulletins to show someone else has had problem.  Has anyone had this problem?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

V63

I have heard of these issues on corvette and even Hyundai.

Purely a shot in the dark ? If the main battery is over 2 years old ? Or battery connections?

J. Gomez

Tony,

Not sure if the dealer was able to read any fault codes or status of the module(s) and I'm not surprise if they just skipped that step and just disconnected the battery to power cycle the module.

Not sure if you have done any research on-line for your particular issue, but my inclination would be a faulty keyless entry module.

Maybe if you do a search on-line you can get some hints on this particular issue, here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE3z5njXqOQ just for reference.

I would speculate they would need to do an in-depth testing or just replace the module and do a reprograming either or will be time consuming and $$$.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TonyZappone #2624

Yesterday morning the CT6 remote and locking system failed at the YMCA here.  I locked the doors manually, then I couldn't get in, 'cause I couldn't get the lock cover off.  Called the dealer, he told me how to get it off (finally spoke to the service manager).  The service rep from Cadillac Motor Division had notified them by email that I was having a problem.  (I paid $190 something last week for a diagnostic service,I have an extended warranty).  Thank God we were a good dealer, and I still had a sales rep who knew the service rep.  I drove to the dealership, sat w/the service mgr and his assistant.  They were up front about it, the car blew two codes when I was in last week.  Seems the service writer took it upon himself to choose not to work on the car unless he could "make it do it".  They gave me one of the new mouse sized SUVs to go home in, and promised the car would be fixed, and I get my $190 something back too.  My faith is restored........Lets see what happens
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

The Tassie Devil(le)

To toss in my 2 cents worth, sounds like a flat fob battery.

This happened to my wifes' car (Not a Cadillac)   At least I had a spare fob.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TonyZappone #2624

It blew two codes, a module and door latch.  Got text this am that parts are in.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

TonyZappone #2624

I made it about 4 days with proper operation.  Yesterday morning short trip, leave car, drivers door does not lock with remote  , open door, alarm goes off.  Other door locks now inop, back to dealer this morning.  Honest to God, as much as I love this car (I had planned on keeping it until the end (my end that is)  It is driving me crazy with this problem.  At this point I am working with the asst. svc mgr, and the svc mgr, and not the (obviously) inept service writer.  If economic times weren't so screwed up, I swear I would buy another Chrysler Pinnacle van around $60,000), rides like an old Fleetwood, special leather interior, plenty of room AND no trouble the last three I have owned.  Stay tuned

Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Dave Shepherd

May be a tech bulletin referring to this, although I would assume they looked into that.

TonyZappone #2624

I know they have looked, or they said they did.  Hopefully some factory guy is reading this, and has some answers.  They have bailed me out in the past, like when this car sat in shipping for a month, and no one knew why.  Finally, someone intervened and it got shipped
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

TonyZappone #2624

The CT6 was delivered back to me yesterday.  Word is, the installation of the first latch (module?) could have put stress on the circuit, another one blew.  I hope it is resolved.  New cheaper tires today, (hope they ride better)
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

fishnjim

Unfortunately this is the way of the service world these days.   I've had two issues with my new tractor that was under warranty, and then they tell me they can't find anything wrong and charged me both ways for pick and return.
The first problem I had to stop payment on the loan(0% interest, so why not) before they would do anything.   So it's not just Cadillac these days, it's these days.  They threatened to trash my credit rating.
The second problem didn't start until after they'd worked on it and it's still there and they have no clue what's wrong and won't cover it now if they did.  They admitted as much.
I think the companies are telling the dealer on warranty to not fix unless it's absolutely non-functioning.  They're run as a profit center, not an after sales service dept.  Cadillac was trying to thin the dealer herd also, so if you don't comply with the mother ship, boom!  It was easy with no inventory.
Taking the new vehicle in for "free" 6 months service next week with nothing wrong, so I hope they don't touch it.
It's why I prefer to lease, but wasn't an option with no cars available.
ps: My 2019 XT5 had some kind of key hidden in the remote to use if it didn't open.  Not sure about the CT6.  Check the owners manual.  I prefer a exterior key pad for this too.  Almost never use, but if needed, and you can remember the code, it's easy.  I only use it to check if it's working, so I can see why they delete those cost items.  I carry the code in my wallet.  These cars won't start either if they don't get the "code" from the fob.  But have been fairly reliable.  Just imagine if it's a EV and has wiring/computer issues.

TonyZappone #2624

Sadly, I had to return the CT6 to the dealer this am for the fifth time.  .  Because the problem has occurred when it was rainy, they checked for leaks.  This morning, as before,both fob, outside door button, and inside lock buttons were inop.  They begin to work again, after a time. I really think the dealer is trying, I have a car to drive, and they have opened a case with the factory.  I hope it gets resolved.  I am becoming worried. Car is At Otto Cadillac, Albany, ny
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

TonyZappone #2624

CT6 remains at dealer.  Unable to find problem.  I think the problem comes after the car is driven for awhile, rain and water could be a factor.  Hasn't anybody else had this problem?  They have reported the problem to Central Office, no solution yet
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

TonyZappone #2624

It rained yesterday, I drove the CT6, and the locking system failed again.  To reiterate, I have the GM extended warranty, but now I am hearing noises like the factory may not pay for extensive diagnostic work.  I am truly saddened, and freaked out with this problem.    Dealer provides me with a car, and seems to be trying.  I need help from somewhere.  This is the sixth time at the dealership.  Car is at Otto Cadillac Albany, N.Y.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on October 18, 2022, 05:01:01 AMIt rained yesterday, I drove the CT6, and the locking system failed again.  To reiterate, I have the GM extended warranty, but now I am hearing noises like the factory may not pay for extensive diagnostic work.  I am truly saddened, and freaked out with this problem.    Dealer provides me with a car, and seems to be trying.  I need help from somewhere.  This is the sixth time at the dealership.  Car is at Otto Cadillac Albany, N.Y.

"May not pay for extensive diagnostic work?" What does that mean? They built the damn thing, they warranted it and now they expect you to pay for them to figure it out? They should be flying engineers in from Detroit if necessary. Either that or swallow the pill and offer to buy the car back less some agreed amount for depreciation. Sounds like the dealer is trying but bigger guns are called for and GM should step up to the plate. Doesn't the lemon law allow the dealership three attempts to correct a covered defect after which the manufacturer must buy the car back? Might be worth looking into.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dave Shepherd

Eric, pretty sure his car is outside of the NYS lemon law time period.

badpoints

It sounds like a bad ground or connection. On my wife's 2006 Escalade there is a connector under the drivers seat that goes bad and the messes up door functions. 

TonyZappone #2624

Yesterday I called the GM help line, got a case number, the follow up rep was suppose to call back, didn't.  Perhaps, backed up, I don't know.  people seem to care, but this has to get resolved pretty soon.  Eric, the GM extended warranty is a service policy, and apparently is not as inclusive as the original factory warranty.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

TonyZappone #2624

Cadillac dealer in ALbany working hard to diagnose problem, which is intermittent (door locks see previous posts).  Assistant service manager told me to contact GM service, to register the problem, could help with assistance.  Called three days ago, spoke to a wonderful young lady, who told me the second advisor would call me back.  No one called back.  Second day I called, asked what happened, was told there were some "technical problems", but I would be called back within 48 hours of initial call.  (was given my new advisors name and extension).  Called new advisor, left message, this is the third day, no word from anyone.  Has anyone else had problems like this?  Case#9-8485910760. 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

CadillacFanBob

Tony, contact Cadillac Zone office and ask to meet at your Cadillac Dealer with the District Service OR District Field representative in person, to get them involved face to face.

Good Luck,

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois