News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Hydra-matic problems again

Started by Bronze, September 24, 2022, 11:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronze

So my 1956 Convertible engine is now overhauled and running. But Transmission has no reverse. It works very well in all forward gears, smooth shifts all the way. but as aid , no reverse. Shop manual suggests "reverse piston restricted" or "Stationary cone key missing". I have also read on the forum about the reverse spring breaking causing no reverse.
Can any of these reverse components be checked without removing the trans, just the rear extension?
Any suggestions on what to check first?
Transmission has had pan down , cleaned oil screen and fresh fluid. No metal debris or bad gunk in the pan.

/Martin

Joe Jensen

Martin:

I am not sure how similar your transmission is to the '49 but this might help you some.

You can remove the side pan on the transmission and you will be able to see the part that engages the reverse.  You have to drop the tail end of the transmission some to allow clearance to get the side pan out (if I recall correctly).  You have to remove the shift lever and kickdown lever but once you have the pan off you can reinstall the shift lever and use it to shift the transmission into reverse and see if the steel lever engages to go into reverse.

You will likely have to remove the bottom pan as well.  You might as well plan on removing both.

Good luck!
Joe

Roger Zimmermann

As I'm not every day under the sole '56 I have, I doubt that you will be able to pull the transmission extension far enough.
Before you are trying heavy surgery, I would check if the gear lever rod is adjusted correctly. You need two people to make a quick check: disengage the trunnion at the transmission and move it manually to "R". with the gear lever in "R", the pin should engage.
Another failure I did some years ago: I forgot to torque the screws at the manual valve body. As you have the oil pan down, it takes not too much time to check those screws by removing the valve body from the case.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bronze

Thanks for your suggestions. The 1956 dual coupling is quite different from yours Joe. No side cover unfortunately.
Roger, i have by hand put it in reverse without the linkage, feels right with a distinct "click".
If you doubt that it will be doable to take the extension off without removing the trans, that's enough for me: i will not even attempt it :) Thanks!

Roger Zimmermann

Even with the extension housing removed, you will not see more than shown on this picture:

Oelpumpe hinten.JPG
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101