News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Eldo Seville gas tank

Started by CaddyJay, September 24, 2022, 07:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddyJay

OK so I'm having a crazy problem and I'm not sure so I'm gonna ask the question I'm restoring my 56 Eldorado Seville I remove the fuel tank cleaned it sealed it put it back in reconnected all the connections filled it up with gas and now at the feed tube With the fitting tight it's leaking gas as far as I can tell it's the original fitting with the original fuel line threads are good the line is good but it's just leaking the pipe hasn't bottomed out meaning the nut is fully tight but it's not seeded.. Napa doesn't have a longer fitting to try and bottom it out... I'm I missing something please help

Lexi

As you mentioned "nut" I assume your leak is where the gas line exits the fuel tank and not the filler/"feed tube" that is accessed under the tail light. If so, and if original, there should be a brass ferule like fitting in there. It is a type of compression fitting, but heavy duty. I imagine once disturbed after 66+ years they may fail when put back together. They tend to get "grooved" with also a slight "ridge" where the compression was, which is tough to get back in the same place for a secure fit. Or perhaps yours is missing? Or maybe someone jerry-rigged it to work until taken apart? See any JB Weld or gas fitters tape remnants? They are also easy to lose and you may not even be aware that you lost it. Hard to tell from here. I believe someone on this Forum has these ferules as repros for sale. Could be David King, but not 100% sure. Below is a picture that shows the 2 typical connection options for this type of tank. Also there is a close up of this ferule fitting.

In the 1st photo looking from left to right shows a portion of a new repro tank (far left), then the brass ferule fitting, then a new fitting you get with the repro tank (which I believe dispenses with the ferule), and lastly a blind plug which is not used after tank installation.  It was there to fill the hole after manufacturing. Not sure if it can also substitute for the drain plug on the tank (which I think yours also has). Anyhow, so obviously other fittings like the fuel line itself are not shown in this photo, just the most likely stuff that you may need to fix your leak.

So, it looks like you may require a replacement ferule, if yours is what is causing the leak or may no longer even be there. Or you can try to locate a supplier for the replacement large brass fitting shown below. On Ebay Tom's classics or some similar name, sells the repro tanks with this replacement fitting (minus the ferule). You can try him or David King depending on what part you think you need. If you can't find him and need an exact vendor name please advise and I shall look it up. I think I and others did a post on this a year or so back. More details may be there.  Hope this helps. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

Pretty common.   Depends where it's leaking though.
If the bulkhead fitting solder joint is leaking, usually caused by not using a wrench on the bulkhead when tightening the tube nut, or
the tube nut is tight but the tube is not(can wiggle it/push in/out) and gas coming out between the tube and the nut or around the threads.
If bulkhead, they make a one or two part "specific for fuel tank" repair putty, JB weld product I think, that you can clean and apply around the solder.  I have some but I'm in the house.
If it's leaking around the tube, then Lexi's solution is the correct one.
This just came up a few month ago - again.   Pretty sure it was Dave, so he'll probably answer too.

I did not find any replacement fittings as close to as long as the factory ones (see pic).  I tried diligently and ended up using the old one and it still requires the "gender change" ferrule.  I have no idea why they put a female bulkhead fitting for a female flare end line.   One of those early day mess ups.  And they didn't correct it for several years ('59?) so they must have had a lot of parts to move.