News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

John Foust Remembered

Started by Jason Edge, September 25, 2022, 10:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Edge

I read the sad news last night on a couple of Facebook groups that John Foust, aka Honest John of Honest John's Caddy Corner has passed away.  As a fellow parts seller I had talked to him way back and immediately connected with him as a very down to earth likeable guy that had Cadillac in his blood and someone that I would meet several times at Grand Nationals and someone I considered my friend.  He was one of those guys that you could sit down with after the GN events and just chat with for hours, or someone when they called you eagerly took their call to hear his friendly voice. We would sometimes call each other looking for parts for our customers, but always ended up in these lengthy conversations.  It appeared that John was like that with EVERYBODY! He was just the salt of the earth easy going guy that loved being part of the Cadillac Community and will be greatly missed.

For those that did not know John or some of his many endeavors, here is a copy of his write-up when he won the Cadillac & LaSalle Club 2019 International Activity Award.
John Foust.jpg 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

harry s

Sad to hear. I l had your same experience with him. He was always a pleasure to talk to.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A very big light in the heart of Texas has gone out. He will be irreplaceable
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bctexas

I live about 45 minutes from Honest John's and have gone there to buy parts on several occasions.  On most occasions I would end up sitting in the office with him chatting about CLC affairs and Cadillacs for a while after conducting business.  In addition to being friendly and entertaining, he was also willing to freely share his extensive Cadillac knowledge.

I am saddened to hear of his passing.

Condolences to his family.
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Jay Friedman

I also would end up in long conversations with John when calling for a part.  As stated, he was involved in international Cadillac affairs and I last saw him at the Grand European in Switzerland several years ago. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John was ALWAYS glad to see you. I don't think I ever saw him down in the dumps. And I was watching as he walked past me after he won the the International Activities Award. He was literally "walking on air" with a smile ten feet wide on his face.

He will be sorely missed.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

okccadman

I met John when I was 13 at the Pate Swap Meet in Texas and we struck up a friendship that lasted 37 years.  He was a friend of friends and always there for advice, a joke or simply to chat about Cadillacs and life. I went to see him in the hospital last week and he had a list of things he wanted me, his "adopted son" to have.  The 1st was his 1966 Eldorado.  I was on the way to Texas to pick it up yesterday when I got the cal that he had passed.  This car is now a permanent addition to the collection and will be driven in his honor.  R.I.P. old friend.

Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

The Tassie Devil(le)

John touched people from all over the world.

I met him in 2018, and was on the receiving end of the Hard Luck Award that he made with his own hands, sourcing parts from his stash of parts that he just couldn't toss out as they could be used somewhere.   There was always a use for something.   Even the bent, contorted hanging wire was beautifully attached with his own hands.

He carried the award, along with all the other trophies in the trunk of his Cadillac that he brought with him to Australia in 2018 to attend the Australian CLC rally in Renmark, South Australia, and left here when he returned home.

I treasure this award, and now will look it with deeper thoughts of a man whose life was cut too short.

RIP John.

Bruce Reynolds.
The Tassie Devil(le)  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

winger888

Just met John last June at the Grand European in Freiburg, Germany. Great man. Very sad...
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

Quentin Hall

In 1992 I limped into his Texas yard  in my 57 Biarritz having driven through the moonless night from the ACD MUSEUM. I had a harrowing drive experiencing a Sabre wheel rim cracking in Nashville or Arkansas and the subsequent spare (changed under the dim trunklight) delaminating.
John met me with a big Texas smile and handshake and dug out a good  Sabre and tire and hit me up for $20 and sent me on my way with a handful of Honest John stickers.
Met him two more times at GNs and that same larger than life personality was still there.
A good man.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

GBrown #8092

An all around truly nice guy who could light up a room, and a Cadillac enthusiast as a bonus.
He will be missed.

Glenn

cadillactim

Sad to hear about John. I first met him at a GN in Florida several years ago. He would often have me rebuild parts for his customers or send them my way.

I always found John quite personable and had a nice relationship with him.

Tim Groves
Tim Groves

Carfreak

The Potomac region newsletter had a great write up including personal remembrances of John.

As everyone else mentioned, he was a really nice guy and will definitely be missed!
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Art Director

I was always glad to see John at Grand Nationals and the Pate Swap Meet. He always had a Texas Cadillac with longhorns on it as big as his smile and personality. The photo with his obit didn't do John justice; I took a great one of him at the 2016 Grand National. Godspeed, John, and enjoy Cadillac Heaven.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold