News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Chrome headlight surrounds??

Started by Steve W, September 04, 2009, 04:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

I've been thinking that it might look kinda cool on my 68, but I was wanting to see a pic of it first. Does anyone here know of anyone that had their headlight surrounds chromed? Pics? It seems like it would be pretty simple...
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

OK....I guess that's a "no" then.... LOL!   :-\
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chris Conklin

Is this similar to the final product you are looking to achieve?
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

That looks pretty good. I would think it was stock.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

It is stock. Steve wants to plate the fender extension on his 68. He would then have no contrast between the headlite bezel & fender extension. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Chris Conklin

Now that I looked at a '68 for comparison, his car should be similar to mine already. I don't know if I would like the look of the entire extension being chromed. I can try to fake one in Photoshop, if it comes out okay I'll post it.
Chris Conklin

The Tassie Devil(le)

Wouldn't be a problem.

People have been chroming parts on their cars that were never supposed to be chromed.

Just look at a few '59 and '60 Cadillacs with their Hood and Trunk Lid lower pieces chromed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve W

You're right Bob, that's exactly what I was thinking, I just didn't state it correctly! I'm glad you knew what I meant. I actually got the idea from the 66-67 GTO with the verticle headlights. They have the whole unit chromed and it looks good...however it is just a single piece.

Good idea Chris, I'd like to see it!  And I think it might actually balance the look front to back, because the 68 has those huge tail lights wrapped in about 3 tons of chrome. Then again, you might be right, it might not look that good. That's why I was looking to see if anyone ELSE thought about it and actually did it, like Bruce said, "People have been chroming parts on their cars that were never supposed to be chromed..."

And if I did like it, I would look for a couple of "fender extensions" and have them chromed, and leave the ones on my car stock, so I could change them as I see fit.

Again...just a thought...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

Here's a 66 GTO with the stock headlight thing I was talking about...
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

Ah HA! I just googled 1968 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and searched images...and I found one! I can't say I care for what they've done to the entire car, but I think the headlights look good...
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866