News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado VIR

Started by benji808, April 26, 2022, 08:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Anyone have one of these? Let me know condition and price. Trying to resurrect my AC for summer. Thanks in advance!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Benjamin,
A 75 would have a VIR. That is one vessel device that contains the receiver, site glass, expansion valve, desiccant, and POA valve.  They used to be reasonable, so when I recently stripped the threads trying to fix a leak on the oil return line of my '76 I was surprised to learn that they seem to have disappeared from the market place.  You can have one rebuilt, and the going price seems to be in the neighborhood of $350.00.  Needless to say, I rebuilt one that I had and I am glad when they were available I scrounged up a bunch of the internal parts.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

benji808

hornetball

I run an Old Air Products "VIR Eliminator" kit on my '74.  Another option.

benji808

Did you make any other modifications? I've read that the eliminator can cause issues for the compressor (something about cycling). If that's not an issue I may go that route.

hornetball

Quote from: benji808 on April 27, 2022, 12:00:05 PM
Did you make any other modifications? I've read that the eliminator can cause issues for the compressor (something about cycling). If that's not an issue I may go that route.

The compressor does cycle with that kit.  Some say that the A6 compressor wasn't designed to cycle, but I haven't had any problems with it.  I'm about 2 years in -- drive the car ~1500 miles/year.