News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Using a 3ET 7246 battery vs 3EE 7250 for ‘53 Series 62

Started by MERNJ, December 26, 2021, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MERNJ

Long story short, I would like to use the more powerful NAPA 7246 3ET battery vs the 7250. The 3ET is 3/4" taller and as a result hits the bottom of the air cleaner cover.
I was going to install 3 or 4 air cleaner gaskets stacked on top one another, in an effort to raise the air filter cover about 3/16".  Anyone try to install the larger battery? Do you think my plan may work.

Caddy Wizard

I have used the 3ET on 54, 55, and 56 models (battery is in a different location than on your 53).  Never done it with a 53.  Sorry.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

signart

You can find spacers anywhere from 1/2" to 4" at most parts stores. As long as it mates up and you have hood clearance, it won't hurt anything.
Art D. Woody

MERNJ

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: signart on December 27, 2021, 05:00:47 PM
You can find spacers anywhere from 1/2" to 4" at most parts stores. As long as it mates up and you have hood clearance, it won't hurt anything.

This response makes me remember that there are a lot of CARBURETOR spacers on the market.  So instead of raising the air cleaner relative to the carb, one can easily raise the carb and air cleaner together relative to the manifold.  Just buy a 1/2" carb spacer and that should do it...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

signart

^^^^
This is true, and might even help prevent the boiling of the corn.
Art D. Woody