News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Coup Rear Window Rollers -are they nonexistent ?

Started by Standardoftheworld, September 06, 2022, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Standardoftheworld

I got both front power windows working wonderfully by cleaning the tracks and applying poly lube back to the rollers, tracks , both front door locks respond like new now. So here I am at the back windows, the drivers side rear is missing the bottom glass roller that ride the long track, I can't seem to locate one for a 69' they skip to 71-76 which looks somewhat similar but I'm not sure if that will work.
 Does anybody have any tips or tricks or a lead on the 69 rear window rollers? or which ones will work?
Will the 71-76 rollers work? thanks everyone.
Jay Zerrin. 
Sin City Nv
1961 Cadillac S&S Victoria Hearse
1969 Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Without having the part #s I can't be 100% sure, but I believe the two years have the same body shell, so a 1970 one "should" work. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I encountered this problem, I made my own.   Not sure of the difference between the earlier ones and the '71 and '72, but, below is what I did.

I grabbed a piece of nylon stock and turned it down in the lathe to the basic required shape, and with deft use of the inside cutter that I made, carefully created an internal groove to accept the original ball fitting.

The chamfer on the outside is there for ease in pressing the ball into the piece.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Standardoftheworld

Bruce did you press that roller onto the pin or did you unscrew it from the glass to affix it? That's way too much work for 1 roller for my application lol, I would just like to buy one, also don't have a lathe in my garage. I'm wondering if the one's I see listed for 71-76 will work ,that come with the special tool to remove it while it's in the car.
Jay Zerrin. 
Sin City Nv
1969 Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

I unscrewed it from the glass, and pressed it into the newly made roller.

I suppose I am lucky in that I can make my own parts with tools that I have gathered over 60 years.

Over the years, I have had to make a few of these rollers, as I haven't found anyone near me that sells them.

But, thinking back, I think I can recall that Hydro-E-lectric in Florida had them.   https://www.hydroe.com/rear-quarter-window-roller-each/  but they weren't available when I first went looking, hence the making.

Not sure what the difference is to the '69, but the original ones were really flimsy.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Standardoftheworld

I don't suppose you made any extra ones you want to sell do you ? I called the place you mentioned, he didn't have any for a 69'.
Jay Zerrin. 
Sin City Nv
1969 Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

What does the '69 look like?   Broken or not.

Can't promise anything at the moment, as I am recovering from a shoulder reconstruction.   

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

CadillacFanBob

Group number 11.007 part # 8731349 Roller, fits 69 & 70.

Also used by Chevrolet, maybe used by other GM cars?

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

Yes, I forgot to mention that.   GM shared a lot of parts, so there should be millions of the rollers out there in the wrecking yards.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Standardoftheworld

Jay Zerrin. 
Sin City Nv
1969 Coupe

Standardoftheworld

Well, ordered a couple different rollers for 68-72 we shall see which one works, if they don't I'll have to have Bruce custom make one on his lathe lol
Jay Zerrin. 
Sin City Nv
1969 Coupe

colorado4x4

See if what I did with my rear quarter window on my 1970 Deville helps or not....thread link below:

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=161567.msg473456#msg473456

Nick
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

Big Fins

I may be late to the party here, but try matching the roller that you have to a shower door roller at your local hardware store. They have been known to work in various applications.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Standardoftheworld

Well, what doesn't work are the "short shank" 68-71 rear lower window rollers for GM big body and medium body cars, Olds Omega, Buick Electra , Pontiacs, Impala, they are not the same, too short, so I ordered the 71-76 Cadillac, tried to install it, it's too long in the thread department, so I took the flat washers off removing the plastic washers, then ran the outside metal washer with the two holes in it all the way down until it bottomed out, then cut off the remaining 5 threads showing, finally unscrewing the metal washer which also cleaned the threads up, reinstalled it and it works perfectly, so...If anyone else out there needs the rear lower window rollers for a 69 or 70 Cadillac buy the 71-76m trim it, grease it and run it. Works great.
 Now, on to the AC system , first thing is to replace that round vacuum dashpot thing on the firewall .
Jay Zerrin. 
Sin City Nv
1969 Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jay,

Thanks for the update.   I can have a longer rest.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe