News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Caddy continental kit

Started by jwwseville60, September 21, 2022, 10:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

Are continental kits like this one easy to remove?
Do they just unbolt or is there welding involved?
I dont like them.
Thanks!

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Barry M Wheeler #2189

They are bolt on and relatively valuable so don't throw it away when you get it off.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day John,

I understand your not liking this type of unit, as they always seem to me to be a cheap and easy way of putting the Spare out of the Trunk.

The moving of the whole Bumper Bar rearwards as a unit, then sticking some fillers at the sides and across the width of the car really spoil the vehicles' lines, and not what the designers wanted.

Plus, they make accessing the trunk for any reason really back-breaking and awkward.

As you are aware, the properly fitted ones, like mine  ;)  ;)  still allow easy access to the trunk for heavy and bulky parts.

With the one shown, the end fillers should be easy to remove, but a new  centre piece might have to be located to fill the gap.   Plus, depending on how the construction was made, you might have to locate replacement supports to mount the bar to the car.

As Barry said, people do want these and you should have very little problem selling the unit.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

I am actually looking for a continental kit, but a later style, if anybody has one to sell. Yes, ditto Bruce's comments on making sure you get all necessary behind the center bumper mounting brackets. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Clay,

Pray tell, what is a later style?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Barry M Wheeler #2189

For instance, a "stock" 1957 unit was curved to allow space for the spare. I remember seeing one in traffic in Indianapolis. I was standing on Meridian Street and the car was a green CDV headed west on New York Street. This was at least sixty years ago. They must have used a very, very heavy die to get the curve in a stock bumper.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 21, 2022, 10:31:09 PMG'day Clay,
Pray tell, what is a later style?

Hey Bruce.  LOL, The kind that used a semi-circular "Bumper bar" rather than extend the entire rear bumper out like a "porch". They look more natural. In 1957 Cadillac called these semi-circular ones; the "Auxiliary Wheel Carrier", which is what Barry noted as seeing in Indianapolis. Believe they were an option then. Somewhere I got images of a period Cadillac flyer of this. While I don't mind the "porch", I don't think I would ever install one of those on my car. But the semi-circular type of which there were several styles I would. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Clay.

I am a bit biased, but I prefer mine.

PS.  One day I will clean out the trunk and take a better picture.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Lexi

The semi-circular ones go with the curvy '50s body lines. What is on your car is more suitable as those vehicles have more straight lines to them. Don't think the "porch" style would suit your vehicle. Just my thoughts. Attached is that Cadillac flyer from 1957.

GregoryAlan

I think the Continental Kit is sexy as heck!
Good thing we all have different tastes...

Not trying to be RUDE but all the talk about being useful, these cars are not daily drivers anymore, at least for most/some of us. Talk about hauling heavy items in the trunk are in the past, at least for me. My beer cooler used to hold a case of beer. Now my cooler might have 2 beers at most. Just saying...

Lexi

Quote from: GregoryAlan on September 22, 2022, 11:46:20 AMI think the Continental Kit is sexy as heck!

Not trying to be RUDE but all the talk about being useful, these cars are not daily drivers anymore, at least for most/some of us. Talk about hauling heavy items in the trunk are in the past, at least for me. My beer cooler used to hold a case of beer. Now my cooler might have 2 beers at most. Just saying...

Greg I agree. You make some valid points. These kits are sexy and yeah good thing we all don't have the same tastes. If anyone has one, any style except the "porch",  let me know. I have a Series 75 Limo and they have a short deck (like the 4 Door Sedan), so when compared to other 1956 Cadillacs, the trunk space is much reduced. Would love to get my spare out to make room for more tools, spare parts and cruize night folding chairs etc.

The C kit I posted earlier was offered as a Cadillac option, at least in 1957. I am told that one was available in 1955, (if incorrect on this please advise). I am also told that some Cadillac dealers offered the '55 unit in '56 from inventory left over from the previous year, (as the continental kit was not an option in 1956). The give away was the '55 style Cadillac script, or so I am told. J.C. Whitney also offered a very similar kit in their 1956 catalog. See attached images especially the last one for what is mounted on the '56 Cadillac. Clay/Lexi

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi Clay,
Was that kit for 57 an actual official Cadillac option? I was always under the impression that they were aftermarket accessories? Phil

Lexi

Hello Phil. I believe they were. This brochure is also apparently GM literature on this option. The brochure is similar to others I have seen on mid '50s Cadillacs such as the hand out for the wonder bar floor switch. Similar lay out and art work. I think they only offered the "semi-circular" unit as noted in the brochure. I think all of the "porch" style continental kits were after market (J.C. Whitney). I stand to be corrected though. This came up in the old Mid-Century CLC group. It was there that Forum Administrator Lou Commisso coined the term "porch" for the extendo type kit. LOL. Gotta give credit were credit is due. That one was Lou's! Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: GregoryAlan on September 22, 2022, 11:46:20 AMI think the Continental Kit is sexy as heck!

G'day Greg,

The reason I constructed mine, of which I have built them for 3 of my previous cars, is that, especially with the '72 Eldorado Convertible, trunk space is marginal at best.

When my wife and I go to the mainland to attend the various CLC events, we need to carry luggage for at least 6 weeks away from home, so by the time the cases for clothing and everything else is ready, it takes time to try and fit it all in, without filling up the back seat.

You should see the stuff that I have fitted into the trunks of my cars.   The biggest thing was a cement mixer in my '57 Chev.   Plus, back in the days, TVs were very bulky, plus engine blocks are bulky and heavy.

PS.   Don't know why GM made two different styles of Continental Kits for the '50's cars, as the one for the 55 to 58 Chevrolet would look nicer on the Cadillac.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Lexi

You did a good job on yours Bruce. Looks like it belongs there. I remember you telling me about that project a while back. Extra trunk space is never a bad thing. Clay/Lexi

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Clay, I used to like all the bolt on extras but have slowly gone off them over the years. I've never liked the continental kits that just move the bumper out though, porch! Good old Lou!
Phil

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The factory option for a continental kit was a one year
only and that was 1957.  All the others were aftermarket.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

That is what I thought, 1957 only, but at a Grand National I was advised that some dealers offered them in 1955. You would be the guy to know! They must have been after market if truly offered in 1955. Thanks for clarifying. Clay/Lexi

dochawk

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)