News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car Fax

Started by Caddyholic, October 02, 2022, 10:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyholic

I was helping my father sell a model year 2000 car. He has only own this car 5 years. It is a low milage 35K American L word car. Bought locally from the original owners estate. He took it to a big online dealer. The dealer ran a car fax on the car. It came back with a report of a sever accident in 2006. I contacted the executor of the estate a good friend of mine and he had no recollection of any accidents and if it was wrecked that bad a 6 year old car would have been totaled. He said his uncle was a perfectionist and would not have keep the car. So I ran reports with Been Verified, and Experian. Both came back with no accident history. I filed a complaint with Car Fax referencing the two other reports. Car fax investigated and removed the accident report from there files. Anyone else had an experience like this?   
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

James Landi

These services depend on the repair shops to log in repairs, and in my single experience, a service manager had logged in my 33,000k mile XLR as having 133,000 miles--- apparently an honest mistake, and likely some similar event occurred with your dad's car (perhaps two "L" word cars in the shop at the same time)   Good news with Car Fax, no one pushed back when you presented your case. 

Moody

Carfax has tried to make their service a standard in the industry. However, having worked at repair shops, and purchased many cars, it's my opinion Carfax is not worth anyones time. More than once I was in the market for a used car, and a Carfax was presented as proof of condition. When I asked about obvious repairs, I was greeted with stairs or assertions of perfect condition. Obviously my history of doing heavy collision repair gives me an edge as to what look for when assessing a car.
Moody

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Jim...I've seen cases where accidents were reported on one auto history service and not the other and visa versa. 

I use AutoCheck. Post the VIN and I'll see what they have to say.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Comes back clean.

VIN: 1LNHM97V9YY861800
No. of Historical Events
Calculated Owners
Number of Accidents
Last Reported Event Date: 08/30/2018

Last Reported Mileage: 18
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute