News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Greg, it's the same starter I took out of the car. I had it rebuilt because I wanted to make sure it would fit and have the bolt holes for the bracket and ran support.  I think I don't have the bracket in the correct position when I bolted it to the starter.  Unfortunately, I can't get at the bolt on the starter to tighten it when the bracket is on the starter.  Thanks for your reply. 
George, IF the starter was a bit longer would the hole line up? If so, you don't have the correct starter. The correct starters are usually listed as "high torque". What they did a while back is found out that Chevy starters will fit even though they are less powerful. You need the "High Torque starter that is about 1/2 inch longer than the smaller one.
Greg Surfas
Restoration Corner / Re: Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis
Last post by Cadillac Jack 82 - Yesterday at 11:17:01 PM
The lighter one looks closer to whats in my friends 61.  Its a silvery gray.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 6 volt Group 2 batteries
Last post by Jay Friedman - Yesterday at 09:55:12 PM
Jim, any chance you could show us a picture of how you set up the cables on your 2 six volt optima batteries wired in parallel?
General Discussion / Where are the OEM Parts Suppli...
Last post by 59-in-pieces - Yesterday at 09:47:40 PM
At a time when it is so important to encourage folks to cuddle up to Cadillacs of all ages.
And the success of restorations and even repairs is so tied to sources of parts, where have all the suppliers gone.
Nothing matches the frustration of a new owner of a Cadillac than to bounce off the wall of no parts - frustration sets in and there goes the hobby.
Switch to Chey and Ford and get parts all day long - yes they made so many more of each, but still.

In my opinion, it is so important to use original parts rather than foreign after market "FITS - this or that year or model" parts suppliers.
Original "plug and Play" parts are so much more reliable than those parts from foreign "close enough" attitude producers.

I have taken strolls on the internet to find aged OEM parts and found that they have fallen into the unobtainium category, not because they were so expensive (often times they are), but just they could not be found.
Even recently I have been looking for a front bumper and grill for a 1953, only to find re-chromed offerings - little free range - don't want to pay someone else to chrome my parts.

I used dbaer's - cadillacville in the subject bar (there are many others) because phone, email, texts have resulted in crickets.
Who knows what happed to those folks.

Have fun,
Steve B.
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 09:19:56 PM
Which do you like with the chrome around it. Like this I think I like the lighter better.

IMG_20240327_211816121.jpgIMG_20240327_211748944~2.jpg
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 09:07:02 PM
The closest paint colors for the dash I could find.

I noticed that there was a difference between my parts car and my Fleetwood.

My Fleetwood has a bronze tint and is closer to the right. But a little darker.

My parts car is closer to the left but a little lighter and more metallic

I think I like both. But I think the left would look better in car.

IMG_20240327_210357654.jpg
General Discussion / Re: Chrome Cleaning and Polish...
Last post by 35-709 - Yesterday at 08:41:50 PM
White Diamond is good stuff, but as stated it is more a metal polish (aluminum, stainless, brass).  Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Cleaner is my old standby and it works well, sometimes with 0000 steel wool.  Mothers California Gold is good too, but sometimes leaves a hazy spot that requires a lot of rubbing to get off, in my experience.  Turtle Wax is available at any auto parts store, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes --- hard NOT to be able to find it.
Last post by Clewisiii - Yesterday at 08:33:39 PM
I keep going back and forth on the polishing. Looks good then the residue on my fingers makes it look dirty again. I need to bring in some fresh polishing towels.

IMG_20240327_201703584.jpg

Looks like the most important thing is polishing the rocker rod. Stops the buttons from hanging up.
IMG_20240327_202855279.jpg
I bought all the long retainers they had. I will need to order 7 more when they get a new supply.
IMG_20240327_175719542.jpg
A properly sized repair sleeve is a semi press fit on the repair surface, so leakage not an issue.