News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GN Modified class judging criteria-Any Update?

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, December 05, 2017, 11:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

All the philosophical banter aside, does anyone have any comments on my suggested criteria above?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 12, 2017, 01:06:01 PM
All the philosophical banter aside, does anyone have any comments on my suggested criteria above?
Greg Surfas

Maybe. First the "classes" should be in ascending order in the amount of deviation from "factory authentic", or really "dealer delivered authentic". 

Then there needs to be a milder than your "mild custom" for no body and trim deletions, original drive-train, just "modernized" to make it more drive-able in modern traffic and speed conditions.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

e.mason

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 12, 2017, 12:34:12 PM
Anybody can do that.  What I was referring to is the likes of Geoff Newcombe's "Big Red."  1935 Cadillac with, hope I get this right, a 472, wire wheels, air conditioning, candy apple red paint, and it gets driven . . . a lot.  The skill involved to do that is much more than removing and old piece and refitting a NOS piece to the car in its place.  Just the fabrication alone required to pull it off requires a very special skill set. 

What's the bigger crime?  Letting it rot away somewhere in a barn or field, or, doing something with it and appreciating it as what it was transformed into.

I've seen Geoff's car, and it is very tastefully done, and not hard on the eyes either.

Over the years I have seen and been impressed, quite a few of these "modifieds".   Yes they do take more then average skill to take a 30's body and put in modern drive train and interior comforts i.e. automatic transmission, A/C power windows etc.  But aren't these, your basic "street rod"?
Eric Mason

The Tassie Devil(le)

A lot of it depends on the modification involved.

When I got my '72 Eldo here, to get it correctly registered, I had to fit Lap/Sash Seat Belts to the outer seating positions, which is why I was asking for a set of factory Seat Belts many years ago, but nothing came forward.

I retro-fitted Retractable Lap/Sash belts to the front and rear, which involved a huge amount of modification to fit the Retractors out of sight, and to properly work, but none of these modifications can be seen.   just the belts.   It is a pity that Cadillac didn't see fit to do it properly, as what I ended up with was worthy of a Cadillac, even though they were Ford parts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 12, 2017, 12:34:12 PM
Anybody can do that.  What I was referring to is the likes of Geoff Newcombe's "Big Red."  1935 Cadillac with, hope I get this right, a 472, wire wheels, air conditioning, candy apple red paint, and it gets driven . . . a lot.  The skill involved to do that is much more than removing and old piece and refitting a NOS piece to the car in its place.  Just the fabrication alone required to pull it off requires a very special skill set. 

What's the bigger crime?  Letting it rot away somewhere in a barn or field, or, doing something with it and appreciating it as what it was transformed into.

I've seen Geoff's car, and it is very tastefully done, and not hard on the eyes either.

Thank you for the kind words, Dan.  Your good taste is exceeded only by your good looks. 
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carl Fielding

"Kid" , I notice you specify Cadillac engines. I enjoy all "All  Cadillac" Cadillacs. When the soul is ripped out of them , for me , most of the enjoyment is gone. I am always left with "Why ?". I am sure we all know that pretty much anything is available to take a Cad mill to about any level you like. At this point I don't want to expand on this further. This morning I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings at all. It may have something to do with the fact that I am going to pick up a 1930 Buick coupe today.  - Carl
Quote from: 35-709 on December 12, 2017, 07:00:18 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Dan.  Your good taste is exceeded only by your good looks. 
Geoff

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Carl,
Do I take that as agreement with the above criteria?

Regarding Cadillac motor performance, there is a rumor that one of the technical seminars this GN will be on the various modification potential and details for the 472/500 inch motors.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Carl Fielding on December 13, 2017, 10:03:39 AM
"Kid" , I notice you specify Cadillac engines. I enjoy all "All  Cadillac" Cadillacs. When the soul is ripped out of them , for me , most of the enjoyment is gone. I am always left with "Why ?". I am sure we all know that pretty much anything is available to take a Cad mill to about any level you like. At this point I don't want to expand on this further. This morning I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings at all. It may have something to do with the fact that I am going to pick up a 1930 Buick coupe today.  - Carl

Carl, As I'm sure you already know, one of the automatic disqualifications has always been for a car to have an engine never made by, or for, Cadillac (as is with the case of the olds & chev V8s & v6s from the late 70s thru mid 90s).

I've always been in favor of that requirement.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

nysdarkblue

It's to each his own, as my friend Arthur would say," everyone likes something different!" I prefer stock, as my car is, others like modified. The cars should and are judged on their merit in all classes.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX