News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trace my 58 Coupe

Started by Andy Green, May 23, 2020, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Patton

Hello Andy

I'm sorry about your 1958 Cadillac loss. I will keep an EYE out for your car.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

wrefakis

my response was to help not hurt
do not take pleasure in seeing someone ripped off
if you do not like my posts, skip them

chrisntam

I have a few questions:

1)  Who is the seller? A business or individual?  Do you have an address?  Perhaps someone in Las Vegas
     knows him.

2)  Did you contact your insurance company?  Our auto policies have coverage for "newly acquired
     vehicles".  What does your auto policy say?  This appears to be theft, which is normally covered by
     auto policies.

3)  Since 4 years have past from when this occurred, what have you done to either get the car or get a
     refund?

4)  Have you contacted the people who "rebuilt" the engine?  What did they say?  Did they actually rebuild
     the engine?  Do they know the seller?  Was there really a fire?

5)  Have you contacted the Las Vegas Police Department?  What did they say?

6)  How did you and the seller converse?  Via email?  Telephone?  Are the conversations documented?

It may be more helpful if you tell us what you've done to this point.

You may have to hire a private investigator or attorney to help you, depends how much more money you want to spend.  For now, contact the local (to the seller) police department and prove to them that your car was never released to you.  You do that by showing money was paid, showing them your proof that you have been asking for the bill of sale, title, etc..  Show them the print out of yours and the seller's conversations and see what they say.  They may ask for more information.

7)  Did you have someone inspect the car prior to your purchase? 

As other's have said, good luck with your situation, but who knows how many times the car has been sold since 2016.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Andy Green

wrefakis,

I have documents to say I transferred the payment to the seller, What I don't have is evidence from the seller that the car was caught on fire and totaled which according to DMV was total bullshit by the seller.
It is a pity you don't have the guts to write your name as the spelling of what you go under looks like fake to me.
Surely this forum is all about enthusiasts helping each other out after all, so how would you feel if you paid $18,000 for something in 2016 you never got and the seller lived 6000 miles away? Mmmm, different story if it happened to you eh?
This car is out there being used so I was appealing for help tracing it. Here is a pic from the advert I bought the car from.

Andy

Cadman-iac

That's a beautiful car Andy, and I'm sorry for your troubles. I do hope that either you get it or your money back.
Please keep us posted on your progress, as this sort of thing is not something anyone would want to go through.
Keep trying and don't give up. Stay safe.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Andy Green

Rick

Thank you. Yes the car is a great colour and the 58 is one of my favourites and everyone who sees this picture can understand how I felt when I was told the car was caught in a workshop fire, just devastated. I will keep you posted on the outcome Rick but please don't hold your breath waiting. I won't give up.

Back in 1968 when I was still living with my parents in Bristol, England I was serving an apprenticeship in the motor trade which I started when I was 17 and it lasted for four years. The money was poor but that's how it was then. My 1957 Ford Zodiac I had saved up for was caught in floods the same as our house. The water was half way up the windshield which messed up everything in the car. When the water had gone the house was full of mud and nasty other things which took a long while to clean. I spent a year repairing all the damage to the car caused by the floods, I couldn't afford to take it to the breakers so had to get the car right myself without lots of money to spend. So you see I don't give up Rick.
It's been great chatting to you, keep in touch.
Andy

Andy Green

Hi Chuck

Thank you for your comments and for the offer of help, anything would be appreciated as I am struggling here in the UK to get answers. I googled the LVPD to send them a mail but there isn't an email address where I can write my story. I am not on twitter or facebook and it would not be easy to phone due to the time difference. I would also like "the written words" with correspondence to give me a record to refer to. I will answer Chris's post shortly. Again many thanks for your offer of help.

Andy

Andy Green

Bill Refakis

Perhaps I misunderstood your comments on an earlier post and thanks for explaining you didn't mean any harm.
Should you come across any information regarding my car I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Andy

Andy Green

Hi Chris,

Wow quite a few questions to answer there, I don't know why but I didn't really want to mention the seller but perhaps it is time that I did and I will do my very best to answer honestly all your questions so this may be a long post so forgive me.
Bit about me. I live in the south west of England and am in my early 70s, I am a pensioner and work part time to fund my American car habit. I bought the 58 Coupe advertised on ebay usa in march 2016 and sent a bank transfer in my bank to the seller on 6th April 2016. Ok, answers to questions on your post.
1. The seller is Nicholas Caparelli but goes under the name of Nicki Bratz, his address was 8255 S. Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, Nevada 89123. Phone: (702) 517-9780. I think he has moved to the east coast though now. He has a business called "Rocket Carz" that you can see in the background of the photo. I asked if he would carry out work on the car (replace rubbers, check the car over including the trans and motor which he agreed to do)and I would pay him for the work, there is a decal missing on the trunk which I asked him to fit. He said he would do this in his spare time if I wasn't in a hurry and he wouldn't charge me for the work. I said I wasn't happy not paying for the work.
2. I live in the UK so obviously there is no car insurance.
3. I kept asking for a refund on numerous occasions and he kept giving all sorts of sad stories that sounded very genuine and they were written in such a way that you felt sorry for the guy. He did pay me $5,000 back around 2 years ago but nothing since and he still owes me $13,000.
4. I was told the engine needed overhaul so I agreed to pay for that and have it painted before it was refitted after the job was done. I didn't have any dealings with the engine repair guy, I was told he was in CA and his workshop was on his ranch, there was an electrical fire in this guys workshop ( this is the story I was told) where the seller had 3 cars for repair, my car had been finished, all 3 cars were burned beyond repair. I was told the engine repair guy was not insured and the seller had lost $60,000 worth of cars. I asked for some evidence but was told the engine repair guy had scrapped all the burned cars and they were no longer in the workshop. I asked for evidence of the fire but had nothing. I wrote to the local sheriff in CA and asked if there was a fire locally to them on this guys ranch and asked if they could email me but I never had a reply.
5. I have recently contacted LVPD through LinkedIn as I couldn't find an email for them, as I said before I like to have proof of the written words. As of today I haven't heard from them at all.
6. We always conversed by email which he hasn't replied to since January this year, until then his mails kept saying he is working on sending me $$ over. He said he had to file for bankruptcy in November last year 2019. I even offered to accept another car that was good enough to sell back here to save the guy some money as the thoughtful person I am. I kept asking for a copy of the bill of sale but never got one and this has to be with the car as well as the title document when the car is shipped to the UK. I do have evidence that I sent a bank transfer to his account for $18,000 on April 6th 2016. But I now feel a sucker for falling for it all.
7. I didn't have an inspection done as work was being carried out on the car and I have several pictures of the car which looked great.

Chris, I hope this answers your questions as I have been as honest as I can by telling you the truth. A couple of friends here in the UK have checked out his facebook page so please check it out yourself and see if you think he has gone bankrupt. Here is a picture of my car that someone found on his facebook page from November 2016 when it was supposed to be taken to have the engine rebuilt.
Thank you for spending the time to read my long post.

Andy

gkhashem

This may tell you if the car is out there. Not all states in US required a title on an older car though.

https://www.vinaudit.com/

It will only state which state, no names of owners.

But even if it does , it means the car exists does not mean this guy owned it or could sell it. You might have to report it stolen, so someone can investigate this.

From your story this guy sounds like a criminal, sorry to say it. Too many convenient reasons why the car is gone.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

chrisntam

Quote from: Andy Green on May 30, 2020, 04:27:54 PM

5. I have recently contacted LVPD through LinkedIn as I couldn't find an email for them, as I said before I like to have proof of the written words. As of today I haven't heard from them at all.

Here is the link I found by using GOOGLE for the Las Vegas P.D.  You can likely call them 24 hours a day or if not, you may have to stay up late or get up early.   You can also file a report online through their website.  Read all the info below.

https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/RecordsFingerprintBureau/Pages/FilingAReport.aspx

Filing A Report

IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY OR CRIME IN PROGRESS, PLEASE CALL 9-1-1.
Filing a police report helps law enforcement officials locate and apprehend criminals, find stolen property and even track crime trends.  The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department offers you the ability to file your report online.  Please learn more below to see if you qualify.
NOTE:  We can only take reports that occurred in our, Las Vegas, jurisdiction.  We do not take reports that occur in Henderson, North Las Vegas, Boulder City, or accidents that occur on the freeway.  The freeway is Nevada Highway Patrol jurisdiction.  You can file a report for internet financial crimes (i.e. online fraud, identity theft) with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) www.ic3.gov.

Online Filing
Many crime reports where there is no suspect information can be filed easily online. Please follow the directions carefully. CLICK HERE to file a report online.

In Person
We have provided an online direct link to the police station that serves your area so that you can contact us with any of your service needs. To file a report at an area command nearest you, please CLICK HERE for address and contact information.
If you're not sure where your nearest area command is, click here to view a map:  Area Commands and Sector/Beat Map.  Click here to view a map by zip code.

Telephonic
Some types of reports can be filed by calling the LVMPD non-emergency number at 702-828-3111 and explaining the circumstances to a call taker who will assign an event number to your case and someone will return your call. Depending on call volume the return calls are made in order by the date and time they are received. For your convenience, many telephonic reports may be completed online with no wait.

Out of State
If you visited Las Vegas and a crime occurred during your visit and you have returned home, you may be eligible to file your report online.  Please review the Online Filing instructions to see if you are eligible.  If not, please contact your local police department and request they complete a courtesy report and mail it to our agency.
For all cases remember to:
Gather as much information as you can prior to filing your report.
Include all of the information relative to the incident such as: date, time, place, all details, include any property and value of lost or stolen property, name(s) of the victim(s).
List any other information you wish to report specific to this incident.
Be as thorough as you can as this will be your record of your crime report.
There is no fee for filing a report.  All reports will have an event number on them.  You will need to reference this number when inquiring about your case.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Andy Green on May 30, 2020, 04:27:54 PM
I bought the 58 Coupe advertised on ebay usa in march 2016 and sent a bank transfer in my bank to the seller on 6th April 2016.

Did you complete the sale through eBay?  If so, don't they have a guarantee or something for the sale of the car?   Did you contact eBay?

eBay Money Back Guarantee means you're protected if the item you ordered didn't arrive, is faulty or damaged, or doesn't match the listing. You'll get your money back. For all the details of how the eBay Money Back Guarantee works, please see our full policy guidelines belo

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210

Completing a sale outside of eBay brings risks that you take on alone...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Roger Zimmermann

As I'm not in the buyer or seller market, I don't know well at which price a '58 coupe is usually exchanging hands. It seems to me, that $ 18'000.00 for a car looking so well (at least on the picture) was maybe a fraud.
Andy: next to your email exchange with the seller, did you phone him from time to time? Another hint for something wrong: he offered you some work for free. I doubt that a honest car dealer would do that.

Not all deals with the US are ending in a fiasco: when I saw the ad for the '72 coupe I finally bought, the first thing I did was to call the seller, even if I hate to speak English over the phone (my native language is French). Fortunately, the seller, about our age, was speaking very well and was understandable, he told me about some flaws the car had (and still has), creating some good confidence.

I wish you good luck to get the $ 13'000.00 back.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Andy Green

Chris,

I can't thank you enough for all the information and links you have given me, that is such a help and I will read your message again and look at the route I need to go on. If I get any problems contacting the LVPD could I come back for advice? First of all I need to gather as much info my end to back up my situation.
Sounds like you may have been in law enforcement so thanks again for it all.

I will also look into ebay and see what I can find there too, I didn't think of that. I didn't think I would ever have to do this as I expected either to have the car or a refund. I expect everyone to be the same as me but this guy is very clever with his mails and leads you to believe he is a genuine person going through tough times.

Andy

Andy Green

Roger, bonjour,

The price of the 58 was fairly good at the time 4 years ago but now they have really gone up in price. Going back to 2016 I went on his "Rocket Carz" site and there was several pictures of my car, one I have just posted yesterday and there were a couple of him with the car too so I feel he did own the car. I feel he just sold it to someone else for a higher price after I had paid for it. If you look on facebook under Nicki Bratz as my friend over here did then you will see this guy hasn't gone bankrupt as he had told me.
I have bought two other cars from the US since which have arrived safely and I have friends here that have had good success doing the same with no issues. I have been to the US on holiday a few times since 1990 and have had contact with many lovely American people but as in all countries there are always those who con others. Thanks for your post.
Au revoir mon ami
Andy

Andy Green

Eric,

Thanks for your last mail, mine is done, please check.

Andy

Roger Zimmermann

Andy, thanks for your answer! I cannot add much to my previous comment. I'm afraid that after 4 years, you have to lick your wounds. Maybe, after all, if you can contact some police dpt, you will get something more back, but I doubt. I know, it does not sound very positive, but, as you noted, the possibility to move things is very limited with a 6000 miles distance.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Andy Green

George,

Thanks for your advice, I did click on the link but the Vin was not recognised. The site we went on is: www.nicb.org>vincheck. Here it checks Theft record and Total Loss record, in both cases Vin: 586022669 has not been identified as being stolen or salvaged.
I will pursue other avenues to try for a result.

Andy

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Andy Green on May 31, 2020, 05:25:15 AM
George,

Vin: 586022669 has not been identified as being stolen or salvaged.

Andy, this is not a VIN for 1958. Your VIN should be 58G.... for a Coupe Serie 62, or 58J... for a Coupe de Ville. Maybe the number "6" you wrote is effectively a "G".
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's correct - third place is "G" not 6.  G = Series 62 Coupe.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute