News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Could someone order a forest green car with pink and black interior? 😳

Started by V63, January 24, 2023, 02:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

1956 Cadillac deville Scottsdale 2023, could someone have actually ordered these colors?

I HAVE seen legitimate metallic (Bahamas) blue 1956 models with pink and black interiors, more than once...but green is a new twist???

It it was originally a pink (mountain Laurel) car that quickly became dated ... paint it white or black, but who selects green???

No doubt an interesting story there!  can you imagine the salesmen commenting on THST new Cadillac as it was initially presented to the dealership. 🤦🏻�♂️🤢

cadillac ken

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I think that's a cool colour combination. We need to see the data plate.

fishnjim

That's the trouble with pictures.
Does not appear to be pink to me, a tan, like buckskin.
One can go to the books and see the colors offered in '56 and see if it's offered that way or possible to special order.  Cadillac was much more flexible back then in offerings if the buyer was willing to pay.  The Elvis story is one example.
But who's to say after 60+ years it hasn't been changed?   Only the build sheet would say.  Caveat emptor.

ps: some people are color blind and maybe only in some colors and it may look entirely different to them than U & me. 

Moody

Moody

V63

Tan would certainly make more sense, I'll try and put some eyes on it.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

That looks like a genuine Mountain Laurel and black interior to me. I've seen 3 of those (original) interiors. If that is the as built colour combo I would love that car.

V63

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The short answer is yes, the customer could order the car in any color combination no matter how discordant. The dealer would typically require a substantial non-refundable deposit or even payment in full before he would place the order.

Catalog description says Arlington Green with Mountain Laurel roof.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1956-CADILLAC-DE-VILLE-265219
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

I thought ELVIS couldn't seem to get his 1956 purple eldorado with white leather ordered. He had to settle for all white.

TonyZappone #2624

There were two ways to order different paint, and weird color combos.  With Chevrolet, we could order on a COPO (central office production order) paint colors from A body cars (like the bright blues and greens available on Chevelles) on B body Impala or Caprices.  I seldom did that on Oldsmobiles, but I remember ordering a black 88 4drhdtp with white top, and maroon interior.  On the paper ordering form, there was an option on the body right hand corner called ZP2.  Basically that was telling the zone that I wasn't crazy, or hadn't made a mistake, this is what we want ordered.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Cadillac did something similar where the code(s) were entered twice to alert the factory that the selections made were intended and not erroneous.

Michael Petti

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is no accounting for taste.

fishnjim

I'll stand corrected, mountain laurel is a faint pinkish color.
That was the style in the post war mid 50s, with the pastels, etc.  Appears to be genuine after checking the BJ listing.  Thanks for that link.
If you want "different" this one's for U.  If it didn't command "luv" it'd seen the crusher by now. Someone's baby.

jdemerson

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 24, 2023, 08:38:41 PMThe short answer is yes, the customer could order the car in any color combination no matter how discordant. The dealer would typically require a substantial non-refundable deposit or even payment in full before he would place the order.

Catalog description says Arlington Green with Mountain Laurel roof.

I have checked the 1956 Data Book. It lists all available colors and upholsteries. It has a table that shows (for Coupe DeVilles and others) the recommended combinations. But it makes it clear that the buyer could specify other combinations in his/her order. I find nothing in the Data Book that implies that this particular body-paint/roof/upholstery combination couldn't be chosen. This agrees with Eric's comments above.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Pink and green was a common enough colour combination in the 50s, think diners etc. I take it that it's unusual on a car but I think it's great. It beats the colours of today's cars.

V63

It was a loaded question given the Elvis scenario where he tried to order a purple 1956 eldorado and was refused.

Certainly,  at this point there are those that do not believe it but there were also those that did not believe Elvis passed either .

I have viewed the car and it certainly looks legit and as advertised. Some slits in the drivers fabric ...very nice car overall.

Just (hammered) SOLD $33k (plus 20 % for fees and taxes) 1BA69E8A-917C-4D4C-B46D-554DDB830B8A.jpeg

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: V63 on January 25, 2023, 06:54:55 PMIt was a loaded question given the Elvis scenario where he tried to order a purple 1956 eldorado and was refused.

Certainly,  at this point there are those that do not believe it but there were also those that did not believe Elvis passed either .

I have viewed the car and it certainly looks legit and as advertised. Some slits in the drivers fabric ...very nice car overall.

Just (hammered) SOLD $33k (plus 20 % for fees and taxes) 1BA69E8A-917C-4D4C-B46D-554DDB830B8A.jpeg
Lou Commisso did an in depth investigation on the Elvis 56 Eldo. Elvis had the car customised a while after he bought the car. It was never suggested he tried to order the car in purple. What he did was go to a paint shop with his car and it is said he squeezed a bunch of grapes and said he wanted the car painted that colour. Whether that part is true or not doesn't really matter, but the colour change was made after he'd bought the car.

V63

Yes I do understand the car was ultimately painted purple, the catalyst was they got trapped driving the car in a down pour that just flooded (ruined) the interior.