News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where have all the younger crowd gone?

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, July 09, 2020, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Being an Army man I prefer the Deuce DeVille:

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=12649

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Now for a more serious item.

First, my car is "Modified"  :o because I have a stand up hood ornament from a couple years later and stainless steel braided AC lines, etc. It has all the ORIGINAL cast iron engine parts, Original transmission, drive train to include rear axles, Original radiator tanks, etc. and I get into arguments from the purists here. Oh, and I've had it for over 23 years

Now along comes someone, his first post:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=160739.msg468427#msg468427

He's asking about a "legit lowering kit".  As if such a thing exists. He included a picture. Oh yeah, it's modified all fight. Its a 1967 DeVille Convertible, but the chrome is blacked out or gone, no door handles, heavily customized paint and (silly to me, but it's his car) oversize what look to be 22" wheels with barely there sidewall height tires.

His post was completely ignored except for two from, me telling him that:

"There are dozens of forum readers, who have given themselves a neck sprain while trying to "look down" on your car as far as possible because it's been "modified". And the paint work is causing them further turmoil.  To these folks, there is no "legit" lowered spring for any Cadillac and your post does not warrant any attention. That's why there have been no replies."

The response from forum members, or rather the complete lack of it here takes me straight back to July 1945 and mokusatsu.  We all know how well that went for the people directly involved.

So here's a new kid (assumption since I'm not longer the youngest member of the CLC) and nobody wants to even attempt to point him in the right direction. I only know that he has to get with a local shop because he has conflicting requirements, and I wrote as such, but no one else could be bothered.

Not what I would consider to be "welcoming"

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

Are you sure that vehicle is not more of a modified GMC Jimmy? as there isn't much Cadillac there.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Not a jimmy. That's a 1964 Sedan deVille on an M35 series 2.5 ton truck chassis. you can look at the link. Interesting how the Sedan deVille is almost as long as the deuce and a half.

And I'll bet the seats are more comfortable than any deuce I've ever ridden in.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

These army trucks are all the same to me.   GMC CCKW was the original one, which was called the Jimmy.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   But, seeing as the Modified Chapter is about modifying actual Cadillacs, be it body or Engine in another chassis, these "Extremes" would not pass as a Modified Cadillac.

PPS.   The Truck conversions you show would be akin to removing a Radiator retaining bolt and putting it into an Acura, and then saying the Acura was now a modified Cadillac.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 12, 2020, 09:56:53 PM

"His post was completely ignored except for two from, me telling him that: There are dozens of forum readers, who have given themselves a neck sprain while trying to "look down" on your car as far as possible because it's been "modified". And the paint work is causing them further turmoil.  To these folks, there is no "legit" lowered spring for any Cadillac and your post does not warrant any attention. That's why there have been no replies."

Not what I would consider to be "welcoming"

But you responded Mike, and it sounds like you have the expertise on this. But you made a number of not so flattering assumptions as to why he was "ignored". That in itself is not what I would call "welcoming". Even if your presumptions are correct, why turn someone off? That said, I have seen numerous posts made by those who own stock cars and no one responded to some of those as well. There can be all sorts of reasons why individuals do not respond. With respect to the chopped caddy owner asking for lowering tips, it is not as if there are no other sites he could turn to. Fortunately you gave him some useful information, but I have seen on occasion those looking for assistance on professional bodied Cadillacs and I think rightly so, at times some were advised to check with the Professional Car Society. You go to where the "experts" and passion is. He probably thought the CLC was a good place to start. I have seen posts on other sites where the emphasis was on high performance. Those looking for rare parts for example are often directed here. Makes sense. But to denigrate club membership for not responding helps no one. Clay/Lexi

cadillacmike68

Bruce,

The  accura with a Cadillac radiator retaining bolt is not a proper analogy for this. 

I'm not suggesting that the Deuce qualifies as a "modified Cadillac"

It was only in response to the 1972 post with a monster truck chassis posted earlier, and my preference for the Deuce deVille.

That's why I posted my "serious" comments on a different post.

Clay, I'll get back to your post later.

I was trying to help him out the best I could while at the same time explaining my thoughts on why he received NO OTHER RESPONSES, NOT EVEN A RECOMMENDATION TO POST IN THE (THEN NOT EASY TO FIND) MODIFIED FORUMS
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Lexi

I get it Mike, but those comments were presumptuous and in the end help no one. Cripes I did not respond, (don't even remember seeing that post), but perhaps I should feel offended as I seem to have been lumped in with everyone else for "completely" ignoring him. Just for the record I did not "ignore" him or look down on his car...etc.

If those attitudes are indeed prevalent in the modified world, perhaps that may account for some of the modified car reticence within the CLC? I say, inquiries like this should be answered as best as possible, (as you did), and then explain what the CLC is about without s__canning everyone. What happened to the promoting of social fellowship thing? I would like to think after cruising the site he would see where the emphasis is. That does not mean he cannot be included. There should be room for all, hence the modified chapter is a good idea. Unlike most collectibles, the automobile is a multi-faceted object that requires much expertise to properly collect and maintain. That inquiry was posted by a fellow who is still a Cadillac owner. I suspect both sides will never totally see eye to eye, as there are different mindsets & motivations evident. I just don't get the whole denigration thing as it is counter productive. Clay/Lexi

cadillacmike68

Clay, they might have been presumptuous, but they are still Accurate.

I was not and am not implying you are in the group with their blood boiling over even seeing the post being referred to, but there are forum member purists who's is and they know who they are. Others, were probably just too stumped to know how to help, but still Nobody even referred the OP to the modified forums. Until someone added a sticky up top, I would even have a fun time finding the modified forums.

The lack of response to the OP still reeks of mokusatsu.  He's probably not even around any longer. Too bad, that was a 1967 convertible, in the 4 best years of Cadillac (in my opinion).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

LMAO! Hey Eric, that abortion you posted is doing something a *LOT* of members CORRECT cars aren't doing -
ITS ROLLING! LOL!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all