News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

ADMINISTRATION please help Keeps kicking me off

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, November 12, 2020, 04:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Here we go again with log in. The forum keeps kicking my phone off (logs me out)
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

That happened to me either last week or earlier in the week.  Signed back in and still "connected".
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Is there an administrator out there that can help?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Greg,

I have alerted the Webmaster.   Computer technical stuff is not in my brain capacity.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

If your browser updated, or changes it may have required a sign in each time. It's HIGHLY unlikely it has anything to do with the forum or it's servers. If it were it would happen to many people. Perhaps you could sign in on a different computer and see if it happens then?
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Jim,
My computer is fine. It is my I phone that keeps being logged out each time I use it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

Anyone else having the issue?    I don't do that sort of stuff on my phone so I don't know if I would be having the same issue.     Is your Android or iOS?   

I'm not at all an apple person but I heard that there most recent update made a lot of changes to the way the OS handles its communications with 'the mother ship'.    It now apparently can find its way around anything you or people you think are on your side are doing to try and restrict, confuse, or basically block that communication.   

Because some of this is happening on the OS level some of the apps are now getting confused they are still having to jump through all the hoops to do their thing.   This is all beyond my pay grade so I may not be understanding it or explaining it correctly.    Basically the summary I got was the more the average person tries to do to 'protect' themselves the more issues you will run into with this new update.    Really dumb people and true experts don't have a problem its just the ones in the middle that are having issues.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

sbartelski

OK, folks the cavalry has arrived. Only they don't know where the bad guys are. I understand that the phone app(s) seem to be logging some of you off unexpectedly. To dig deeper om this, however, I will need more information.
Let's start with the type of phone, preferably make and model. And I will need to know which app you are using to access the forums, again preferably with a version number (usually to be found in the About section of the main menu for the app). Any information about the timing of this phantom log-off will help too, e.g.  it happens while you are on the forum, it is only after you have not accessed the forum for a period of time (hours, days?), etc.

I apologize that I cannot determine a cause based on the current information, so what ever you can give me may help towards a future resolution

Your friendly neighbourhood  administrator
Stefan Bartelski

CLC webmaster
webmaster - caddillaclasalleclub.org (use the usual sign to generate the valid email address)
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

dadscad

This may help, may not. As a unscientific test I decided to sign in on my Android Galaxy Tablet this morning and not log off when I moved to other sites or even closing the browser. Every time I came back to the site throughout the day,  I was still signed in. So, all day I wasn't inadvertently signed off. My test a moment ago was to delete the browsing cookies and history. Then when I came back to the site I was not signed in and I had to log in again. Bottom line,  check your browser settings to see if the history is deleted when you exit or if a virus program deletes the history on security scans. HTH, David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

I phone 8. No idea how to access history
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jason Edge

I'm an iPhone user and this may help. Go to Settings, scroll down to Safari and select; scroll down to Privacy & Security section and makes sure "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" and "Block All Cookies" is not selected (greyed out). Also make sure you have the most recent IOS version which is 14.2.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Thanks Jason, but it did not correct the drop off
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jason Edge

Not sure, then. I exited out of the forums last night and just pulled it back up and I am still logged in. It’s after midnight so I stayed logged in at least 24 hrs after exiting, so not sure what is going on on your end.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

sbartelski

Quote from: Jason Edge on November 18, 2020, 06:56:14 AM
I'm an iPhone user and this may help. Go to Settings, scroll down to Safari and select; scroll down to Privacy & Security section and makes sure "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" and "Block All Cookies" is not selected (greyed out). Also make sure you have the most recent IOS version which is 14.2.
Jason, Thanks for this help in the iOS arena. I am not an iPhone user, although the rest of my family are all diehard iPhoners. It irritates my wife no end, when she has a problem with her phone I have to tell her, "ask the kids".
Up to now it seems to only be Greg having this problem ans it is almost certainly iOS or iPhone related. It could be a security setting somewhere, or I wonder if he perhaps has an app somewhere that is signing him out. Not knowing the iOS environment, is there an app that is used to access  the forums, or do you go in via Safari. In either case, does the Login have the same "Length of Sign-in" parameter that I see in the Widows login? Perhaps his default length is set to a few hours only.

Stefan

Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Jason Edge

I’m using Safari on my iPhone. Still signed in. I exited all apps, including Safari and came back and still signed in. I looked for other setting that might kick Greg out but didn’t see anything. Same login option on phone. That is you get the Forever option ... at least on my phone.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

Turned my iPhone completely off, turned on. Still logged in.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Chuck Swanson

If confirmed not a widespread issue, typically in browsers, this is the "Never for this Site" Setting for Passwords to save them.  Double check that setting for this site in case accidentally selected.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Jason Edge

I don't think this has anything to do with the password being saved, but instead website data being saved. On your iPhone and other devices it can automatically save your Password for the next time you long in. On the iPhone you go to Settings and scroll down to Passwords and click and you will see "Autofill Passwords" at top.  This should be on if you want it to auto fill passwords. Scroll down the list of apps and you can see the passwords for each URL website address. For the forums and main CLC site it is under "cadillaclasalleclub.org". From there you can change the password, etc. It even tells you where else you use the same password and if there is any associated issues. Pretty informative stuff.

But, I don't think the password is Greg's issue. It sounds like he is able to log in (either automatically or manually) but his issue is he cannot stay logged in. I believe it is the website data that many of us call cookies or the cache that is being cleared out when he leaves the app.  The only settings I understand on the iPhone that can clear this (or perhaps a better way to say it is not save the data) is the "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" and "Block all Cookies" settings under Safari, in the Privacy & Security section. These should both be turned off... that is greyed out. Greg said these are both turned off.  I have circled this setting in yellow in attachment.

If you note just beneath this, circled in green, you will see 'Clear History and Website Data'. When I click that, and leave the CLC Forums app (or any other app) and come back I am logged out.  With his setting turned off as indicated above, my guess is something is clearing his history and website data (cookies, cache) in a similar manner when he leaves the forums and Safari.  I do not have any 3rd party security installed on my iPhone. I have Norton 360 on my Windows desktop and Macbook Pro and have considered installing it on the phones as it has that option but my iPhone has always seemed secure but never did. I am guessing if I did install it on my phone there might be a setting to have it automatically clear my website data.  So I guess my final question would be was there any new app, or any setting changed on Greg's phone before and after his being able to be stay logged in. Being someone that cannot reproduce this on my iPhone, that is the best I can offer anything else is above my pay grade!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Chuck Swanson

To clarify, maybe more detailed steps on what is happening vs "kicked off" would help.

Are you saying you are browsing this site and all of sudden you get disconnected with no error? ...or is there an error if this is scenario? Does the browser still stay on this site when this happens, or does the browser close?  Do you get prompted again when on site when "kicked off", or do you re-open browser to connect again? 
Or
When you go to site, you enter password, then next time you open site it asks for password again? 

Any other details?

More detailed steps on the issue may help too.   Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T