News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hydramatic (47) rear servo piston

Started by RonMorey, June 18, 2022, 11:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonMorey

Greetings all. Recently I had to remove my rebuilt Hydramatic. It would not shift 1-2. In process of proving the fault I decided to check the rear servo. I know it can't be the problem but I wanted to check my work. I found the rear servo piston has a broken ring. I am not able to find a source of supply yet. Do any of you know a source? I did not remove this metal ring previously as it looked good, the kit did not have a replacement and it fit tightly in the bore. The trans has not shifted into 3-4 so this ring broke with no use after assembly. Approx 1 hr total run time and <2mi with minimal load. The battle continues. I will post what I find for the shift problem when I get there. Thanks for your inputs and suggestions.

Joe Jensen

I would try Fatsco Transmission Parts.  That is where I got most of the parts to rebuild the Hydra-Matic in my 49.  I would caution that any new rings you get should be test fit in the bore for proper gaps.  I installed one new one that I had to file to get the proper gap.

Good luck!
Joe

RonMorey

Thanks for the tip. I have talked to Fatsco. I was given a donor Hydramatic. Broke that ring too. Incredibly difficult without the tool. Fatsco tells me the ring was deleted on later Hydramatic rear servo pistons. I have ordered one. I think this one is old stock and not something they get made. I will post the number if they make one. The ring number is SLR-H16-4 for the whopping price of $3.50. Hope that helps someone.