News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ARGH! Missed 'Cadillac Night' at Gillette Stadium tonight

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, June 02, 2023, 01:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

😭Aborted Gillette Stadium Mass Cruisers @ Bass Pro Foxboro 'Cadillac Night' with the New England Region
Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Inc..    ...ARGH... What a gorgeous night for this.

I noticed the BRAKES light ghosted for a second when starting, I've had that light go on for real, at 70mph, not a warm and fuzzy feeling. Pumped the brakes in The Lair, they felt fine. Shut down and checked the brake fluid, front was down a half a shot glass of brake fluid, topped it off, called Michael Amster. God Bless him he answers the phone when I call him, he knows if I'm calling its a panic, real or imagined, otherwise I text. Was told not to panic, fluid goes down as brakes wear, I've already bitched about brakes, its on the winter list. Michael said "DRIVE THE CAR", but when I pull out of The Lair, take a peek on the ground for an obvious leak, just in case. No problem.

Pulled out of The Lair, checked the floor, no fluid, LET'S GO! Getting back into the car all I smell is anti-freeze. Popped the hood and the heater valve is spraying antifreeze all over everything. I couldn't smell it in the car, the windows were up and the AC was on.

If I hadn't been told to check the floor, I could have had a real problem on Route 6 or Route 25 if I got that far... Nice save Michael. The next time this car starts its heading to him at the WORLD FAMOUS Hyannis Vintage Auto next week. Saturday and Sunday shows are being rained out. Otherwise, I know, I'm sure, Michael would have come HERE and replaced that valve tomorrow.

I'm so glad I spent a F'ING FORTUNE having the HVAC restored at Tirrell Radiator, Inc. Aren't you glad? I'm glad...  >:(

I took this pic of The Ark, I think the car feels bad.

#EverythingHappensForAReason
#GuessIllMowTheLawnInstead
#AlwaysBetterToBreakAtHome
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

James Landi

So glad to know that you've avoided a major break down (or worse,,,the brakes could have been a safety issue as well).  As I've mentioned, I suspect my situation is similar to many CLC members... most mechanics won't work on "old cars," so, I for one, am glad that you have a couple of shops that want your business and provide services that you need.  As for checking out the "foot print" for liquid leaks before you "venture forth," that's so automatic for me... I've many stories associated with leaks and break downs... thankfully, Kristina, my better seven-eighths, is extraordinarily patient with my Cadillac affliction.  Happy day, Laurie, James 

bcroe

Sorry you missed the meet.  That stuff happens with very old
cars, I always just hope no permanent damage is done.  I
would not be inclined to blame the AC service on a failed
coolant valve. 

I try to minimize that sort of thing with Periodic Maintenance. 
If something will be troublesome at 80,000 miles, I service it
at 50,000 miles.  Some things go by age.  Brakes are a big
concern.  I believe in replacing all the rubber in contact with
brake fluid, every 20 years.  The lines get replaced too, but
using Stainless or copper-nickel means that will only be needed
once.  The calipers and hoses on my 79 Eldo have been
replaced twice.  I have very little problems with brakes. 

The cooling system has radiator and heater hoses, 6 years is
my replacement interval.  The heater core, 19 years.  There are
valves which I leave, but arrange for service.  if a couple ports
feed the whole heater coolant circuit, a leak can be temporarily
bypassed by just routing heater hose in a loop back.  I did have
one valve screwed into the intake manifold cause me grief.  I
redid the system to use a hose in line valve, easily bypassed
and easily replaced.  Much easier to deal with if no tower clamps
are used. 

Exhaust and fuel systems are other concerns, look for a lot of
SS under my cars.  My only goal at a show is to have more miles
than any other car there.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: bcroe on June 02, 2023, 01:58:26 PMSorry you missed the meet.  That stuff happens with very old
cars, I always just hope no permanent damage is done.  I
would not be inclined to blame the AC service on a failed
coolant valve.

Of course I can blame the shop, the replaced that valve. They replaced everything.
"restoration" etc. At this point The Ark is "newer" than my daily driver SUV. Michael
will fix it....

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on June 02, 2023, 07:05:50 AMSo glad to know that you've avoided a major break down (or worse,,,the brakes could have been a safety issue as well).  As I've mentioned, I suspect my situation is similar to many CLC members... most mechanics won't work on "old cars," so, I for one, am glad that you have a couple of shops that want your business and provide services that you need.  As for checking out the "foot print" for liquid leaks before you "venture forth," that's so automatic for me... I've many stories associated with leaks and break downs... thankfully, Kristina, my better seven-eighths, is extraordinarily patient with my Cadillac affliction.  Happy day, Laurie, James 

Hey James, on 2 occasions Michael has "downed" the car. "You're not driving it home"... "Do not drive it, have it
trucked to the shop" etc. He's careful. And believe me I'm grateful for him, Hyannis Vintage and the other shops right around here that work on old cars. I just want it fixed and back on the road, too much fun to driving it! And YAY for Kristina! Will I see you both at the NAS Brunswick show on August 25th?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

jaxops

Whew! Close call. Nothing like having to explain to AAA's computer answering that you need a loooong flatbed.

Glad you and the Ark are fine.

Mark M
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: jaxops on June 03, 2023, 07:11:29 AMWhew! Close call. Nothing like having to explain to AAA's computer answering that you need a loooong flatbed.

Glad you and the Ark are fine.

Mark M

Right? And "thank you". As angry as I am about missing that NERCLC event, it could have been a LOT worse.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

AND we're finally back in an 'up' status. Michael came here today and installed ANOTHER heater valve, this is #3 since Tirrell did the 'restoration'. He wants me to put a 13lb cap on the radiator to see if that takes some of the pressure off that valve. 16lbs is stock, this engine was "Jimmy Reid" 'd the summer of The Flu. Wasn't an issue before since the HVAC wasn't being used. Cap is already waiting for me at NAPA tomorrow. Took The Ark on an FCF as soon as he was done... Flew up to Eastham then back to Hyannis for some chowdah at Spanky's Clam Shack, no issues. He's a daily driver tomorrow to the dentist if the weather is good, the uber cool Heritage car show is Saturday. YAY!

I drained, removed, cleaned, reinstalled, filled the radiator reservoir during our little down time. Noticed the overflow tube was completely clogged and the bottom of the res was gross. Hey, 2 radiators and an engine job since I cleaned it last, its all good. I just put on a new hose vs wasting time trying to clean the old one. Remember the 1st time I cleaned it and there was mouse in it! Glycol, its not just for humans!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Laurie,

Several decades ago when my air conditioned heater core control valve failed on '56 Cadillac, I installed a standard  hand operated copper plumbing valve under the hood--- suited my purposes just fine.... as my old man used to say back in the 1960's, "Too much potato salad on these new cars."  Happy day,  James