News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dick Tracy Movies on TCM

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, February 10, 2023, 11:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, I just watched two Dick Tracy movies by RKO from 1945/46. I have no pictures as there were only two 1940s Cadillacs between the two movies. One was a fleeting glance at the rear end of a 1940 Series 72 limousine. The high mounted tail lamps gave it away in the first movie titled simply "Dick Tracy."

Scattered around the movie was the rear of a 1941? Mercury convertible with the trapezoid tail lamps. There was a car chase with Tracy giving pursuit with his personal car, a 1939 Buick Limited Series 90. However, as the chase continued, they switched to a less expensive Special or Century with the "B" body. Evidently, they didn't want to chance messing up the rarer car, especially if it were merely rented.

Then, in "Dick Tracy Meets Cueball," the same 1939 Buick 90 was used and it had picked up a baseball sized dent in the front fender. One of the minor bad guys drove the 1942 Cadillac Series 67 limo used in many movies of the era.

Since TCM will probably not run these movies again for some time, you might be able to find them on Netflix or ??? One wonders how Tracy could afford the big Buick on a detective's salary.

They were fun to watch, and only about slightly over an hour each. There is another running presently, but I didn't want to stay up that late.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville