News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Things that make no sense/ Mirrors

Started by billyoung, February 05, 2023, 10:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

Someone has flawlessly reproduced the very rare 1968 Cadillac right hand outside rear view mirror. Why no one has done the drivers side mirror mystifies me as almost every surviving 1968 Cadillac has a pitted one and the replacement would probably sell like hot cakes. One Mans Opinion.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

cadillac ken

That is a head scratch-er.  I see typically companies reproduce "optional stuff".  But if you are going to do that... why not reproduce the driver's side.  But with that said, one has to ask themselves how many would be sold verses the cost to reproduce (which could also be asked of the reproduction right side mirror (?) 

I've made parts in the past and the cost to set up and manufacture is not geared to small runs.  Which of course, means you have to sell A LOT to make any money at it.

I have also experienced some wealthy sorts that need one (insert rare part here) and go ahead and get it reproduced just for their car but will have the run done with a "might as well" attitude and then try to sell them to others.