News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Air Filter

Started by Snafu1, February 10, 2023, 04:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snafu1

Hello fellow forum members. I have a 1973 Eldorado, 500 ci with factory A/C and 4bbl Rochester carb with the off set air cleaner base. I wanted to put an open element air cleaner on it just for looks, but I am having trouble finding the right one. Can anyone make a suggestion or where i can find one that fits?

Thank You

The Tassie Devil(le)

All you need to do is to go to a speed shop and find one that fits, as in smaller outside diameter to clear the AC Compressor, and sufficient lowness to clear the hood insulation.

The problem with these cars is that the hoods are low, and the air cleaners are made to hang down below the opening of the carby to allow for the largest air filter that will fit.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

2 problems.   

Problem #1 as noted the factory did the offset to the rear to allow for a reasonable diameter and clear the AC compressor.  With the factory compressor in place you are limited to a fairly small diameter assembly.

Problem #2 is an Eldorado exclusive.  Due to the FWD the engine sits fairly high in the engine bay and doesn't leave much height between the carb and hood for the air filter which is also why the factory assembly offsets a bit low too to fit that fairly shallow element in there.

So about all that will fit is a fairly short small diameter system, maybe around 10"?  I don't think that would likely give you the look you are going for.

If its about looks maybe get the original sandblasted and a nice powder coat paint job?  I think we have had some people here that have grabbed similar air cleaner assemblies with better looking horns/snorkels and fabricated them onto the stock one to make a cooler dual inlet look. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bctexas

FWIW, I tried an Edelbrock open element air cleaner on my '65 CDV.  The only problem with it is the noise.  It did not muffle the intake noise well compared to the factory air cleaner, and the noise was quite irritating.  It is now in a box, and the factory air cleaner is back in place.

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

walt chomosh #23510

Snafu,
  A problem no one had mentioned is that the factory air cleaner has a valve that will allow hot air from the exhaust manifold to prevent carburetor "icing" in cold weather.....I was traveling of the Ohio turnpike in a 1967 Ford Fairlane GT many years ago using a high performance "open" filter housing when the motor suddenly died. I removed the air cleaner and peaked down the carb to find it clogged with ice! Under the "right" conditions ice will form and this will kill the motor.....just saying....walt...tulsa,ok

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on February 12, 2023, 10:52:58 AMSnafu,
  A problem no one had mentioned is that the factory air cleaner has a valve that will allow hot air from the exhaust manifold to prevent carburetor "icing" in cold weather.....

G'day Walt,

So that is what the tube is for.   Never would have thought.   Now I am even more educated.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Does anyone remember who made the dual snorkel setup?  Or what vintage car it was?  I was thinking it was 70's Eldo likely in the same situation as this person is where there isn't really space to do much else.

Snafu1

Thank you all for the info and advice!

Roger Zimmermann

If I'm right, the '66 Olds Toronado had it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 18, 2023, 03:21:17 AMIf I'm right, the '66 Olds Toronado had it.

That was the style but I think someone created one for a Cadillac.