News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

dry ice blasting

Started by dinhnguyen57, February 15, 2023, 12:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinhnguyen57

Has anyone tried dry ice blasting to clean up their undercarriage, get rid of the undercoating?
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Vince Taliano #13852

Although it wasn't dry blasting, the Caddie Chronicle featured a story on cleaning an undercarriage in the February 2023 issue.  View the issue, pages 16-17.
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

TJ Hopland

I have not seen it in person on a car but have seen it used indoors to remove years of paint from a 'tin' ceiling and it really did a nice job there.  The ceiling tin is much thinner than the metal on say most areas of a car and has texture/details stamped into it and it got the paint out of those areas. 

For undercoating I have seen videos on it and the results seem to vary depending on the type of undercoating.  Some of the videos it looks like what you would expect to see in an infomercial for the process, pretty much magic. Other less professionally shot and produced videos (that seem pretty unbiased and real world) it got some off in some areas but not in others and they commented that it took way more product than expected.

Transporting the ice and equipment also has to be considered.  The machines I have seen are not small or lightweight and then the cooler that holds the ice isn't small and for sure isn't light. Neither one is the sort of thing you are just going to just flop up into the back of your pickup or suv.  The rental places and ice places which may not be the same place may offer delivery but thats extra cost and my have limited range they will deliver. 

Also note the possibly limited hours of the ice place, you run out on Saturday you may not be able to get more till Monday but you may have to return the machine on Monday and wait weeks before its available again.  If you over buy the ice maybe have some alternate projects lined up to use it up.

It would be nice if there was a mini version of the machine that was practical to do a test before you commented to the full size process.           
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

stokes47cad

We have a high end restorer here in Denver that uses the dry ice cleaning. It is simply amazing. The undercoat preserves the finish thru the decades and the dry ice process brings a like new appearance after the undercoat removal. Highly recommend it.

dinhnguyen57

I will try.  I called a guy who does it and he charges $200/hr and he said it will likely total $1000-1600.  Apparantly he has an industrial air compressor and portable dry ice blaster that are portable. 

I'll take pictures of before and after and fill everyone in when it gets done.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

mario

I had it done on my 1964 non cadillac vehicle. It was fantastic.  The crap they removed was amazing. Not cheap by any means, but very effective.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

dinhnguyen57

1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica