News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seat Belt Restoration

Started by Clewisiii, March 03, 2023, 07:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

Has anyone used Ssnake-Oyl to restore their seat belts.  Any idea on the cost
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

fishnjim

It's generally not recommended to modify seat belts, a safety item.  There are places that make new or will restrap your old hardware.  Anything that might weaken the threads or belt material compromises their ability to work safely.  If worn/frayed, they need to be replaced.  It's a highly engineered product that's tested and certified to conform, so that goes out the window if it's modified.   
I'd just clean them up with some upholstery cleaner and water and dry thoroughly if a bit natty.   

59-in-pieces

Carl,

I looked closely at the tag on the belt, but could not tell what year they were made.

Which model and year of Cad do these belts come from, or are they aftermarket.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Clewisiii

Well my car is 1961. So they all are Aftermarket or at least Dealer install that year. 

This complete matching set is from a 1963. Date code October 1962.
IMG_20230304_151625694.jpg
IMG_20230304_151631104.jpg 

Now my 61 did have one belt on the passenger side only.  Date code actually 1956.  So way off. 

IMG_20230304_151801495.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only thing I would do to recondition Seat Belt webbing is to simply wash them with soap and water, then air dry and use compressed air to blow out the buckles.

The Seat Belts in my '72 were replaced with new webbing, and at the same time, I redesigned the construction of the system to create Lapsash design and installed retractors to all outside sitting positions.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon