News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

responding to a post

Started by Chopper1942, March 06, 2023, 11:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopper1942

I have sent several long time consuming post to explain a subject in depth and when I hit post, it never appears.  What is going on?

Lexi

Could be that your log in timed out, so you were blocked from posting your work. Perhaps next time you open this CLC Forum, first examine the bottom of the log in dialgue box before you click enter, and see what your log in time is set at. Shortest time is one hour. If that is what is checked off for you, and you spent more time drafting your response, it may have timed out.  Easy to do if you spend a chunk of time researching material before answering a fellow member's question in the middle of typing a response. Time flies. Try checking off a longer time frame, (think choices are a day and a week). I also find that this Forum's program is still quite "buggy" and appears easily "overworked" and I have to get out and log in again. Like it easily corrupts., or whatever a computer geek would say it does. Not very stable at times in my opinion. Just my .02 cents worth. Clay/Lexi

Bryan J Moran

Yes it is a sign on issue, common on forums.  A person types up something, hits send and then "poof" nothing and you usually can't retrieve what you wrote. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Carfreak

You might consider writing your post in a word document, and then copy and paste into the Forum Topic.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TJ Hopland

Interesting theory about the hour time limit and I had wondered things like that. I was thinking that hitting preview makes sure things are still 'connected'?  So if you get a preview page you should be good?  Or is preview still local?

I swear like I think is being asked here that I have put A LOT of effort into a reply and hit preview and hit post and it all looked normal and I was taken back to the forum as usual but next time I visit its not there.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dn010

I've trained myself to always select all and then copy any post prior to hitting the reply button.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Lexi

Further to my earlier post, Dan has also mentioned a good point. I as well usually highlight and copy all text before sending, as a back up. If for whatever reason it gets "lost" I still got it to paste and send again. Also, if memory serves, should you minimize the Forum and visit another site or open another window, I have seen my text gone when I got back. Not always, but sometimes. If you had backed up your work you are secure as all you have to do is paste it again in the now blank reply field. There are probably several reasons why this can happen to your posts. Also, further to my earlier reply there may also be another log in choice of "always", just can't recall at the moment. Clay/Lexi

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I leave mine on "forever" all the time. That way I never forget.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

49 Caddy

Thanks, Chopper 1942.  I figure you are referring to me and my wiring issues.  Awesome of you to stick to your word and put in the time to try and help!