News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Helen Earley -

Started by Sue #5125, January 10, 2005, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue #5125

Many of us in the CLC own other vintage cars and may be interested to know that Helen Earley "The First Lady of Oldsmobile" passed away over the weekend.  How very ironic that she passed away just a few days after the very last Oldsmobile was sold new from a dealership in Michigan.

Earley, Helen Jones East Lansing, MI September 4, 1917 to January 8, 2005. This will be my last letter to all my friends and acquaintances. I was born September 4, 1917 in Montcalm County, Michigan along with my twin sister, Bernice Bennett who still survives me. I graduated from the Sheridan (Michigan) High School, went on to Acme Business College in Lansing, MI and also attended Purdue University. In 1942, I took a job as a stenographer in machine procurement at Oldsmobile Division of General Motors in Lansing. After the war I moved into the Sales Department and progressed through a variety of assignments in the sales promotion, sales budget, organization and analysis and advertising sections. In 1960 I transferred to the Public Relations Department and eventually became the executive secretary to the director of public relations in 1972. I retired for the first time from Oldsmobile on August 31, 1987 after 45 years of service. I married William Earley in 1966. He passed away in 1984. During those years I became Oldsmobiles resident historian. In that capacity I amassed thousands of documents about Olds and answered questions about Olds from you and others throughout the world. This was a marvelous assignment and I really enjoyed helping others in their quest for information. I met hundreds of fine people like you. I was a founding member of the task force to create the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum, on the board of the Detroit Public National Automotive History Collection, on the board of the Library and Research Center for the Antique Automobile Club of America and the Society of Automotive Historians. I received the prestigious James J. Bradley Award from the Society of Automotive Historians. This award recognized the "Outstanding contributions to the preservation of historical materials related to the automobiles produced by Oldsmobile and for the spirit of helpfulness to writers, researchers, historians and restorers". After retirement from Oldsmobile, I partnered with James Walkinshaw and formed Earley Enterprises and we were responsible for establishing and running the Oldsmobile History Center. We handled historical and restoration queries and maintained the historical library. I co-authored two books, Oldsmobiles Centennial book, Setting the Pace and Oldsmobile-A War Years Pictorial. I retired from the History Center in 2000. I am a member if the Sunrise Rotary Club. I read for WKAR radio, have been active with the Womens Hall of Fame, the Turner Dodge House, the Potter Park Zoo, all in Lansing and many other organizations. I am a member if three national Oldsmobile Car clubs and the local Oldsmobile Car club. For this I have been called "The First Lady of Oldsmobile" for which I am very proud. And so I leave this world and all of you. Although I will be physically missing, I will be present in all your hearts and memories forever. Thanks for the Memories! By the way, R.E. Olds and I will greet you up here when you arrive. Helen J. Earley.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by Gorsline-Runciman; burial is at the family plot in Evergreen Cemetery. Donations may be made to the Capital Area District Library, Helen Earley Collection, 401 S. Capital Ave., Lansing 48933, Attn. Sue Hill; to the Michigan Womens Historical Center and Hall of Fame Helen Earley Section, 213 W. Main St., Lansing, MI 48933 or to the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum. a memory scrapbook is being complied by the Womens Hall of Fame. If you would like to share a story, note, picture, etc. about Helen, please send it to ail@michiganwomenshalloffame.org or at their address above.
Published in the Lansing State Journal - January 10, 2005

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

She must have been a wonderful lady.  I am still enjoying my copy of "Setting the Pace"; besides being an excellent history of Oldsmobile, it, more than any other car book I have, gives a real insiders look at the automotive industry and that is primarily because it is the work of two Oldsmobile insiders, Helen Jones Earley and Jim Walkinshaw.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Sue,

This is just a note to thank you for posting this very moving letter on the CLC website.  I did not know Mrs. Earley personally, but I knew her from her books, her reputation, and her work with the R. E. Olds Museum.  It is inspiring that she devoted so much of her life to automotive history, and all of us who treasure that history are richer because of the work she left behind.  

Richard Sills
CLC #936 (but the first automobile ride of my life was in a 1941 Oldsmobile)

Robt.Vonheck via SanDiego Calif.

Hello dear Sue:   -what a great-gal HelenEarley was, and no whinning "feminist" ime sure,  --just a bright achiever/contributor to society!   If it was a perfect-world, there would be a "God of Goodness" who naturally would red-line 95percent of Lawyers/Politicians, and other demonstrated unethicals at age-40, yet able to decree as-- "You Helen are to valuable for mankind to loose, so you are hereby granted your renewed youth with the wisdom of age to carry on your good works"!!   Before succeeding into exclusively into Cadillacs through reward of dogged business endeavor, --i also recall our family having three Oldsmobiles--- a 37, a handsome large 41, and a nifty 50/"88"Holiday-coupe(a rich metalic-green/ivory-top,red-leather interior), --wonderful cars all...  
~Bob vH