News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gold Sabres

Started by Sean Mooney, February 11, 2007, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Mooney

I have a set of 5 gold sabres and four center caps. Does anyone know the value of them? Id say they are in above average original condition. Minor curb rash on 2 or 3 of them with very little pitting. Are they worth more than the chrome ones? I read somewhere that the gold ones were only offered in 1956, while the chrome ones were offered for 3 years. These are on a 1956 Sedan DeVille. Im thinking of putting them on a 1965 Eldorado but think the chrome ones may look better. Also I read somewhere in this forum that a spacer would be needed to put 56s onto a 65 due to brake drum changes.

Any info/opinions would be appreciated

Sean H Mooney CLC # 21218

Angelo Van Bogart

Last year, I saw a set of five gold sabres in driver-quality conditon with four centers in below average to average condition sell for $1,100 at the Iola Old Car Show in Wisconsin. For the other information regarding sabre applications and need for spacers, Id suggest running a search for "sabres" in the forum as the topic has come up quite a bit.
Hope that helps,
Angelo

Sean Mooney

Thanx,love your book!

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

I like your book to!

Roger
Switzerland

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

You do need spacers for later than 1956 autos. Cadillac made them to put on 1958 Eldos as they didnt sell like they thought they would and had a bunch left over.

Scott Perrin, CLC#17618

Does anyone happen to know the part number for these spacers to use gold wheels on later cars?  Ive got a 1959 Master Parts Book, which covers the 1950s, and Ive never been able to find the spacers in the book, even though several people have mentioned their existence.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Scott Perrin

Angelo Van Bogart

I ran gold Sabres on my 62 Coupe deVille without spacers, but I wouldnt recommend it (the car is pictured with them on the acknowledgements page of the Cad book I wrote). I put the Sabres on the car when I was young and dumb (19 years old, versus an equally dumb 30 years old now!), and all that held the wheels on was a set of deep lugnuts with sleeves that a friend who worked at a tire store found. Looking back, I took some chances driving the car like that.
Angelo

(P.S. Im really happy you like the book! I wrote it for Cad fans like us, so it means a lot when I hear fellow Cad collectors are enjoying it.)