News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

341 B

Started by jp1gt, October 31, 2022, 09:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp1gt

looking for an oil filter and lines. Are other engines the same? Do they make repos?

pmhowe

Hi JP,

I see you posted away back at the end of October, and haven' been deluged with replies. So here is my input: I suggest you not add an oil filter, if none was initially provided. Lots of 1920s and 1930s cars never had them. I have a 1935 Cadillac 355d series 30 sedan. It is a V8 on the 146" wheelbase and has a Fleetwood body. To my surprise when I bought it, it has no oil filter. It turns out that Cadillac chose not to include oil filters on the V8s (although they did on the V12 and V16s).

I recently had a chance to look at a few Derby Bentleys (1935 through 1937). None of them had oil filters.

I drive my antiques less than ~500 miles/year. I don't race them and the road conditions are many times better than what was available in the 1920s and 1930s. My conclusion is that, if I change the oil one or two times a year - and take care while doing it, the car will be very happy, and so will I. After several years of this approach, I really cannot attest to the cars' happiness but, when I change the oil, I find that it generally is very clean and in good shape.

So, if you really, really want an oil cleaner, go for it. If you are worried about good care of your car, I recommend frequent oil changes, carefully done.

Hope this helps.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Phil

Chris Cummings

For what it's worth, the 1929 Cadillacs did come with an oil filter.  It was clamped to the right rear side of the crankcase (see attached screenshots from 1929 owner's manual).  The piping attached to fittings atop the bell housing (where the oil pressure gauge line attaches) and the filter itself was a sealed cartridge that the operator replaced.  Same arrangement into the early thirties.

I think that some people have made a casing that looks like the original cartridge, but that opens to allow use of a modern spin-on oil filter.  I don't have a name or reference to steer you to.  For now, at least, I would go with Phil's recommendation about frequent, careful oil changes.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Chris Cummings

harry s

As Chris mentioned there were (maybe still are) canisters that open to accept a spin on filter. Here is a picture of an adapter that was machined to accept a diesel engine spin on filter. Sorry I don't have the filter number but you can find them by dimension and then paint them black.   Harry30oilfilter.JPG30oilfilter.JPG30oilfilter.JPG   
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harry s

...sorry about the duplicate pictures but the computer seems to be in charge. Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

jp1gt

Thanks for the pic. I may have one. Again, I got my car in pieces and a lot of stuff I do not know what it is!