News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Back In The Saddle!

Started by Caddyjack, November 11, 2012, 11:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyjack

Hello friends. Thanks SO MUCH for your support when my '76 Eldo got wrecked a couple weeks back. I'm STILL waiting to get this resolved by the other driver's insurance company. Keep positive thoughts coming.

Meanwhile, I couldn't wait for that to be resolved to get another classic Caddy. When opportunity presents itself, I pounce. And I lucked into a gorgeous, 1976 Eldorado at a very nice price. I flew in, did the deal, and drove 271 miles without issue. The cool thing is, it was owned by one family since it was put in service in November of 1975. The title was transferred to the original owner's son in 1994. And now, it's mine. 3rd owner...or, I really would be more like 2 and-a-half. Ha ha ha.

There are a few minor repairs needed, like the power antenna, the clock, and the high beams won't stay high. But these are minor issues. Seriously. This is one nice puppy. I'll certainly need your expert advice on some of the things I need to fix, so I'll be back!

Thanks again everyone!

Jack Larson
Suburban Philadelphia
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

quadfins

Wow! Great find. Sorry it had to be under those cercumstances, but it seems like it turned out OK.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Caddyjack

Thanks, Jim. I don't want to jinx it, but, I really am making out well. Once I get the insurance company to assess the other car and write me a check, I'll break even at least. Please forgive me for being "ga ga" here...I'm going to add another photo. Ha ha ha....
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

quadfins

Forget the photos - go and add some more miles to that beauty. It's 70 degrees here today - how I'd like to be doing my errands with the top down.

Enjoy!

jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Caddyjack

Quote from: quadfins on November 11, 2012, 12:33:05 PM
Forget the photos - go and add some more miles to that beauty. It's 70 degrees here today - how I'd like to be doing my errands with the top down.
Amen to that, brother!
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

936CD69

Very very pretty! love the color trim combo. All's well that ends well...
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

joecaristo

Lots of luck! Car looks great!
Joe Caristo

76eldo

Looks nice!  We should have a mini meet.  Between you, me and Joe there are some nice eldos to look at!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jack,
Are you gonna buy ol' paint back from the insurance co.? Might have some parts your new ride needs.
Just a suggestion.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Quote from: Caddyjack on November 11, 2012, 11:06:49 AM

There are a few minor repairs needed, like .......... and the high beams won't stay high.

Most likely that is the Guidematic.  I’m not sure how to turn it off on the ‘76 but on the ’68 it is done with a lever on the headlight switch.  The dimmer switch on the floor switchs the system between low beam and automatic.  When in automatic if it sees much light it will shift to low beam. 

I always have to turn it off on my Eldo when I take it in for a safety check; they want to fail the car because the high beams don’t work.  They never heard of Guidematic. 

I’m glad to see you got a worth replacement.  I wish you luck with the insurance company.  Let us know how that goes. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Gene Beaird

Wow!  Beautiful color combination!  That's one clean car.  Enjoy!!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Caddyjack

Quote from: 76eldo on November 11, 2012, 10:26:17 PM
Looks nice!  We should have a mini meet.  Between you, me and Joe there are some nice eldos to look at!

Brian
Nice idea! Hey Brian (or anyone else who knows), I don't currently have access to my wrecked '76...do you happen to know the bulb number for the courtesy lights that are under the knee bolster? Left and right are missing the bulbs, and I'm having trouble pinpointing the correct bulb in the owners manual.

Update on the headlights: The foot switch was bad. Bought one (for the guide-o-matic) for $34.95 plus shipping from OPGI.

Bob Hoffman: This is getting sticky, now that the car has been on the lot for 3 weeks, the $45 daily fee is adding up. The insurance companies are now investigating whether the dump truck was covered. Looks like I'll be calling a lawyer. So, No...a buyback is not on the table, yet.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jack,
It's not sounding good. I'm not an insurance expert  but do you have  insurance covering your car? Not just liability but for the cars value. If not, you're on your own to collect from the other guys insurance, if he has any. In the mean time, YOU'RE responsible for the storage charges. If you don't pay, they will lien the car & also turn you over to a collection agency.
Your credit ratng will suffer. If this is the case, you need to get the car out ASAP. Sometimes those tow  bandits will give a better deal for cash.
Good Luck, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

Jack,

I hope you have a policy with JC Taylor, Grundy, Haggerty, or any of the agreed value policy companies.

Generally, they take care of YOU first, then go after the other party.  Salvage value on the car would be about $500.00.

"Regular" insurance companies don't quite understand the values of the stuff we drive and it sounds like someone is dragging their feet here.  $45.00 a day isn't too bad, but as bob said, they may settle for less for cash if you have a place to put the car.

If you are getting enough money it may be best to just walk away if you don't have a place to keep a smashed car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

I'm talking to a lawyer today. The paving company that wrecked my car should pay the book value of the car before the accident, and all of my medical bills and storage fees. Plus, now, there's pain and suffering. I'll keep you posted. Prayers and crossed fingers happening here. Meanwhile, a change of subject on to my replacement.....

Anyone know what bulb is used in the courtesy lights down by the feet? Brian? The old one is in lock-up and I can go grab a bulb to see, and the new one doesn't have the bulbs in there to replace. The owners manual is not really helping since in the courtesy lights section it only mentions instrument panel, doors, rear quarter, and rear armrest. Maybe the instrument panel is it? #906?
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 16, 2012, 12:28:01 AM
J<SNIP> In the mean time, YOU'RE responsible for the storage charges. If you don't pay, they will lien the car & also turn you over to a collection agency.
Your credit ratng will suffer. If this is the case, you need to get the car out ASAP. Sometimes those tow  bandits will give a better deal for cash.
Good Luck, Bob

Sorry, Jack, I don't know that light bulb number.  Our Seville had a bunch of bulbs missing and I had to chase them down.  I wish we had a parts house locally that stocked LEDs, as I'd like to use those.  Some of the bulb housings were showing the effects of heat, and LEDs would be cooler. 

Are those bulbs a bayonet type, or the type that clip between two widely-spaced connectors? 

If the car owner is responsible for the storage fees, I'd definitely be dragging the car home!!  That's nuts!  I can do that, though, as I'm not somewhere that the yard-Nazis can stick their noses into. 

Good luck with the settlement!
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

76eldo

Ill get the bulb number for you over the weekend.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

Brian, I just bought a pair of 906's and they work perfectly, so I now have my answer. Thanks!

Jack Larson
Devon, PA
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA