News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Pace Car

Started by tbenvie, August 11, 2022, 03:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbenvie

I am researching the various indy 500 Pace Cars for an upcoming book. I just completed the 1937 LaSalle Series 50 Pace Car info. Welcoming any comments, additions, corrections. Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/422185476627764

Tom Boehm

Two things jumped out at me. One is the Great Depression started in 1929 not 1927. (reference to August 9, 11:08 PM entry)  The other is Lasalle had a Cadillac V8 all of its 14 model years except 3, those being 1934, 1935, 1936. 1937 was not the first year Lasalle had a Cadillac V8. A more accurate statement would be 1937 was the first year Lasalle used the newly designed Cadillac monoblock V8. (reference to the August 8, 10:22 PM entry)

tbenvie

Fixed-Thanks

Barry M Wheeler #2189

You mentioned that LaSalles were "shorter" than Cadillacs. When GM started offering LaSalles and the Cadillac 60, both models used the "B" body, and differences in length (without checking the actual specs) might have been miniscule. But "generally" you are probably correct.

For absolute accuracy, especially for the 1973 model you might wish to contact Tim Pawl who is the "last word" in knowing what's what for that year.

In 1940, my folks moved to 4806 W. McCray street, just off Georgetown Road. I remember seeing cars on the backstretch from our east bedroom window during the 1941 race.(I would have been five years old then.) My Dad made some extra $$$ by allowing parking in our front yard. One guy got stuck in the ditch trying to back out after the race.

And at some time during the war, Dad arranged for the family to ride around the track in our 1937 Dodge. (The track provided a driver which probably ticked off my Dad.)

I have also served as a pace car for the Hoosier Sell & Swap car show. The Speedway allowed entrants to the judged show two laps around the track @ 30 MPH. There were three friends with four door Lincoln convertibles, and I had a 1957 Cadillac convertible. Large plywood signs on the backs of our cars gave the speed limit along with an admonition "Pace Car, Do Not Pass."

Once, after dropping off my group of cars, I found myself alone on the back stretch. I didn't floor the car as I didn't want to be the guy who ruined (Getting on the track) for all the various car shows held in the infield. But it was tempting.

Hoosiers consider any other verbiage than just "The Speedway" unnecessary. I lament the fact that while it's still a great race, the entire month of May has been whittled down to (more or less) one weekend. When I was a kid, you knew all the drivers, they were a close-knit fraternity, and what you did on Race Day was tune in WIBC (1070) on the radio, and listened to Sid Collins and his crew describe the race.

Good luck on your project.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville