News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 11:00:04 PM
Quote from: gkhashem on Today at 07:54:39 PMI got a question for Mr. Doyle.

How many car clubs do you belong to, and could you name them for us.

I belong to the CLC, Buick, Oldsmobile Club of America, Antique Oldsmobile Club, AACA and the Pontiac Oakland GMC club

Me too plus MVPA and SPAAMFAA and a few local regions/chapters of the above clubs.
General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) - Today at 10:41:20 PM
Quote from: MultipleCaddies on Today at 11:31:49 AMDid you miss the part where I said I live 2,500 miles away and attending is simply not in the cards? ALL "benefits" related to it are not relevant to me as a result.
Looks like you didn't even read what I posted.   I am 11,000 miles away, down at the bottom of the Southern Hemisphere.   The only reason I have not driven over to Western Australia for the Australian CLC Rally is due to health reasons. (2,600 miles, plus a all night ferry trip)

Bruce. >:D
Probably the Commercial Ambulance in the far back of the parking lot.

As John said, RHD countries have different requirements, especially Dip to the Left for Low Beams, and High Beams are the same everywhere, straight ahead.  When I used to import cars from USA, I would leave the Low Beam lights in USA, as they are useless here.   When I was doing RHD Conversions, the first thing to be removed was the Low Beam Headlight, and that went into the bin, smashed.

One thing that is happening down here is that with all the complaints about the new LED lights, and Light Bars, the Authorities are looking into this, and soon, uncontrolled light beams on Low will be outlawed.   Plus, it is illegal to use the LED Light Bars in residential areas.

But, the biggest problem all over the world is these high vehicles with their headlights so high above the "Normal" cars, I wouldn't be surprised if there are going to be regulations regarding these.   Nothing worse than being in front of a Dodge Ram or F350 in a Cadillac, at night.   Even the adjustable anti-glare rear vision mirror is overpowered.

The problem with using LED conversions in original headlights, where the globe is replaceable, the beam emitted doesn't comply.   In the fine print on most of their boxes stated that the lights do not comply with the Road Laws.  Especially the high-powered ones.

Lastly, when I was picking my Eldorado Convertible, I had to completely disregard the mid '70's as they had the rectangular lights.   Cannot get them down here.

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on Today at 09:50:51 PMOne thing that when looking at the original damage to the seal area on the yoke, it would appear that the seal you removed had been replaced many many years ago, as if the originally placed seal would have been back out near the end of the housing.

Bruce,

You are correct. The seal I removed was not the original seal and the damaged part of the yoke is where that seal was placed.

By using the correct seal driver, the seal would sit on a clean part of the yoke, closer to the end of the tail shaft.
One thing that when looking at the original damage to the seal area on the yoke, it would appear that the seal you removed had been replaced many many years ago, as if the originally placed seal would have been back out near the end of the housing.

That damage to the yoke caused by the seal you removed takes a very long time the create, especially as this is a reasonably protected area, as against the seal on a Diff pinion, which is subjected to the forces of water and dirt and grime as the vehicle is driven.

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on Today at 09:14:31 PMHas the new seal not gone in far enough to meet up with the Speedie Sleeve?

Is there any sideways play at the rear bearing, allowing the yoke to move enough to allow oil to slip past the seal lips?

Could there be a crack in the extension housing?

Bruce, based on my measurements, the seal was on the sleeve. There also was not any play at all with the yoke when I tried to move the driveshaft after putting everything back together. I also installed a new u-joint at the yoke.

I also didn't notice any cracks in the housing, but I'll look it over in the morning.

If I use the J-1354 seal driver to install another seal, it will sit on the edge of the sleeve, but where the seal will sit the yoke is not damaged. I'm thinking about removing the seal that is deeper in the tail shaft and the sleeve before installing a new seal.

Has the new seal not gone in far enough to meet up with the Speedie Sleeve?

Is there any sideways play at the rear bearing, allowing the yoke to move enough to allow oil to slip past the seal lips?

Could there be a crack in the extension housing?

General Discussion / Re: Photos of a Day in the Lif...
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 08:36:12 PM
What do you suppose the most expensive car on that lot that day was?  Not what it cost new, what you could have bought it for if you had cash in your pocket that day?