News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Do you work on your Cadillac yourself?

Started by benji808, November 16, 2022, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much do you DIY?

Not at all- I outsource everything from engines to lightbulbs
2 (2.7%)
Basic maintenance only (bulbs, oil changes, etc)
3 (4.1%)
Mid-duty: can tackle most projects, but lack equipment and/or know-how for big items like an engine teardown
38 (51.4%)
Master mechanic: never let someone else touch my Caddy
28 (37.8%)
Used to: mid-duty to master, but choose to outsource for whatever reason
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 72

59-in-pieces

There was a time, but the sand has shifted, in this old hourglass.

Now the spirit is willing, but the body is thinking hard about getting on the ground, and then how to get back up.
The dang floor keeps getting further and further away, with each passing year.

Have fun - if and while you can,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Lexi

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on November 24, 2022, 11:38:30 AMThe dang floor keeps getting further and further away, with each passing year.

Have fun - if and while you can,
Steve B.

LOL. The floor is sometimes the biggest obstacle for a number of reasons, for older individuals. At least you can't fall off of the floor as they say, so no danger there...but one of Murphy's Laws says it takes children 5 years to learn that! Clay/Lexi

Jay Friedman

For me, now that I'm an octogenarian it's not getting down on the floor, but pulling myself back up.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bcroe

Some things I find important.  Have the official
manuals and study them carefully.  Do not be in
a hurry, being neat is better than cleaning up a
mess later.  Get whatever tools are needed to do
it right and efficiently.  I have countless small
tools to make things easier, most paid for by the
first use.  Many I made by looking at the book,
some were just an invention.  Most were actually
pretty cheap.  Bruce Roe

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: Lexi on November 24, 2022, 02:00:50 PMLOL. The floor is sometimes the biggest obstacle for a number of reasons, for older individuals. At least you can't fall off of the floor as they say, so no danger there...but one of Murphy's Laws says it takes children 5 years to learn that! Clay/Lexi

Your comment reminded me of this quote for some reason :D

"You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without hanging on" -- Dean Martin
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Lexi

Yes, the notable and quotable Rat Packer. Dean was extremely witty. Got to try and remember that one. Clay/Lexi

bcroe

Quote from: 39LaSalleDriver"You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without hanging on" -- Dean Martin

Too bad Dean did not know the difference between
laying an object on the floor, and his body lying
on the floor.  Bruce Roe

bctexas

I have been doing all the maintenance and repairs on my cars since my first car in 1970.  The only things I don't do are bodywork/paint, alignment and tire busting.  (I tried bodywork once - it wasn't pretty).  About the only component I haven't tackled is an automatic transmission - I have never had one of mine fail so haven't had the need.  I generally enjoy working on cars, and the jobs I don't enjoy I do anyway because I know it will be done right, and the cost savings is so high vs paying full retail for parts and labor.  Yeah, I've spent $ on tools over the years, but I'm sure they have been paid for several times over.

My wife finally figured it out - this hobby is just an excuse to buy tools.....  ;)
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Steve W

I'm a mid level type...by neccessity more than anything. Shop rates are through the roof here in So Cal, so I try to do most of the stuff myself...with a LOT of help from this fine group here! I'm not tearing down engines or rebuilding transmissions...in fact, I really don't rebuild at all, just replace! Mostly maintenance stuff. I replaced the water, fuel, a.i.r. and power steering pumps, alternator, ac compressor, brake master cylinder, heater core, windshield wiper motor, arms, washer reservoir...basic maintenance. But some things are beyond my skill set...so I had a shop recore my radiator, another shop rebuilt my distributor and replaced the points with Pertronix, and another shop replaced my steering box and lower control arm and redid my brakes, and I had the transmission serviced. I enjoy working on my car sometimes...other times I'm inventing new curse words to go along with the task at hand. 
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

jwwseville60

I sit on my garage couch, drink a beer and wish upon a star it would start.
In college, I failed auto mechanics...and I was a gearhead!

I got my 64 convertible to stop leaking fuel at the carb by tapping the bowls gently with a sledgehammer. Hey, it worked.

Low skill at best. Plugs, tune up and oil changes. Minor electrical stuff. Mmm...maybe.
I have a full set of tools so my mechanic friends can come by, drink beers, and fix something at gunpoint.
When I was an IMSA racer, my crew chief yelled at me to f••k off when I offered to help with the car. I think that says it all.

IMG_1615.JPG
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

benji808

Quote from: jwwseville60 on November 28, 2022, 10:52:32 AMI sit on my garage couch, drink a beer and wish upon a star it would start.

Low skill at best. Plugs, tune up and oil changes. Minor electrical stuff. Mmm...maybe.
I have a full set of tools so my mechanic friends can come by, drink beers, and fix something at gunpoint.
When I was an IMSA racer, my crew chief yelled at me when I offered to help with the car. I think that says it all.

IMG_1615.JPG

Haha - fair enough. I maybe should have added an option for "works on it myself but really shouldn't"  ;D

That's a cool wagon - I don't know that I've seen one before.

DaveZ

Our 32 LaSalle has only ever been worked on by Brooklyn Cadillac, my father or myself. It's never been restored, but rather maintained. Dad was the second owner purchasing form the original owner in 1958. Currently replacing the bottom of the doors and painting.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

DrDre

Yes, i doe every thing self on my Cars,

i am a perfectionist and see many times that mechanics have not the respect on your Car
1951 Convertible
1958 Coupe 62
1958 60S
1960 Mercury Moterey Conv.
1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk

Smoothscoop

Just basic to midlevel stuff for me too. Time constraints sometimes get in the way of doing my own work, but such is life I guess.