News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67-69 Eldorado question

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, November 16, 2022, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

So, lately I've been falling in love with the design for the 1967-69 Eldorados.  I thought it would be nice to pick up a very clean example and potentially daily drive it.  I was going to do that with my 67 Buick Wildcat but its too rare.  This being said what are the pros and cons of owning an Eldo from this era?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Give Bobby LeCoque in Seattle a call. He has a nice '69. He picked my wife and I up at the Carson City GN hotel and drove us to the Reno airport in it. That was in 1991 and the last I looked in the Directory, he still had it. Good luck. (Another example of the great people that do you little favors from time to time in this Club.)

Bobby's mom and dad picked us up at Sea-Tac for the 1987 GN the first year I was President. Kind of late at night as I remember it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bryan J Moran

One immediate con is gas mileage but I am guessing you already knew that. 

Size is another con, but again you already know that. 

So, I would say get a 69-70 because the non hidden headlamps will be less maintenance.  The adjustable suspension gives some folks an issue, and I believe some parts for it are unobtainium.
CLC 35000 in number only

35-709

Buying another car?  Hmmm, makes this post ring a little hollow, especially when the club needs all the help it can get ---

57shark82   Gilbert, Arizona      Tim Neumann
CLC Number: 30850

Today at 12:10:49 PM

I need to renew but between recent expenses, etc I've had to cut back quite a bit.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillac Jack 82

1. Your post is a jab.  Not warranted or needed.

2. I planned on renewing here next week.

3. It was an idea that I was curious about and therefore asked for some input.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

cadillacmike68

Back on topic. The 1969-70 will be much easier to maintain. The front brakes in particular are one off for 67 And 68, and they were standard drum with disc being optional. 1969 & later, all front disc.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

J. Skelly

1968 came with front discs standard; front brakes are FAR easier to get parts for on the '69-'70 than the '67-'68
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

joeinbcs

I've owned three '67's, two '68's and a '70.  I liked them all a lot.  I believe this generation of Eldorado is one of the most beautiful, cohesive designs Cadillac ever made.  Someone already pointed out some of the issues, but, aside from the covered headlights, most of the issues are the same as any old car.  You will probably need to replace the CV axles if they haven't been done recently, but this isn't a big deal.
Personally, I prefer the covered headlight cars, despite the finicky nature of the beast.  But, I also like the '70 a lot, with the slender tail lights and handsome grill.  And, its fun to have 400 HP and 550 ftlbs of torque.  I'm not as fond of the later ('69/70) interiors...the earlier cars, especially the '67 seem sportier to me...elegant, but restrained.
And, just one more thing...all my cars were slick tops except the '70.  In my view the vinyl top really detracts from the interesting crease at the leading edge of the rear fender.  I know some people like vinyl tops, but not me.  In fact, that's why I sold my '70.  It was a 23K mile car with buckets and pretty perfect.  But every tiime I looked at I just wished I could find one with a naked top...still looking, as '70's without vinyl are exceedingly rare.
I also believe these cars look best in very dark colors. I had a black/red '67 and currently have an Atlantis Blue Firemist slicktop...both stunning.  My black car is now owned by Adam, the guy who does "Rare Classic Cars" on YouTube, and is featured in a couple of his videos.
Couple things to look out for.  Floor pans are very fragile and I've seen many with rust holes, even in very low mileage cars.  Also, many of these cars get rust in the A Pillars...a design flaw.  So make sure you look over the undercarriage closely.  New floorplans are not available, and you'll need to have someone custom fabricate these if you get one with rust. 
They're fun to drive, and create a sensation wherever you go.  I will always have at least one!  Good luck!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: J. Skelly on November 16, 2022, 10:29:35 PM1968 came with front discs standard; front brakes are FAR easier to get parts for on the '69-'70 than the '67-'68

OK Discs were standard equip for Fleetwood series which includes the ElDorado I checked the original sales order sheets.
But they are still a one off for 1968 FWD.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

What I remember hearing about that gen Eldo is there was a pretty even mix of both drum and and disc for 67.  Reason for the split was some of the dealers and buyers knew or read that the crappy drum brakes were one of the biggest negatives about the 66 Tornonado so opted for the disc option on the 67 Eldos. 

By 68 the word was out especially for Eldo buyers and in general about disc brakes so even if it was still an option everyone ordered the discs.       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: survivor on November 17, 2022, 01:43:11 AM1968 is phenomenal imo a instant classic probably the best looking year imo the 472 pulls with massive torque and the power band is insane it moved like a cheetah having a friend with a 68 I wanted to buy it bad I couldn't believe what a blast it was to drive. the auto climate control is a pita but everything worked flawlessly. you can make them handle fairly decent with the right set up and have a awesome exercise between man and machine better have the best tires you can get michelins at least. they make a lasting impression smooth fast and classy it doesn't get much better unless you have stock in Exxon Mobil. I'd rather have the later set up with hydroboost and disc brakes stopping a freight train isn't easy. the 67 429 didn't impress me seemed stone age with the looks of the car and more problematic in it's old age. the minor leaks of oil & trans fluid are standard and maintenance to keep them right. I'd take a 68 any day maybe a 70 with the 500 but they should have kept the hideaway headlamps they were cool.

Punctuation!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadillac Jack 82

I was sorta eyeballing this one.  I see some things already wrong with it but perhaps a well trained eye can tell me what they notice?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-cadillac-eldorado-3/

I'd much prefer a maroon but the gold on this one has me  >:D
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

J. Skelly

By 68 the word was out especially for Eldo buyers and in general about disc brakes so even if it was still an option everyone ordered the discs.       
[/quote]
As I stated earlier, the disc brakes were standard on the '68.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

hornetball

Someone spent some money on that '69 making it exactly what they wanted.  I think it's cool.

Snibbor

Tim,

Thought I'd throw in my two cents. While mine is not an Eldorado the same general rules apply. I was in the same position thinking the SAME thing (you are now Tim) one year ago. All I've done to Martha (my '67 CDV) is a new radiator. My wife hates her and calls her "the jalopie". Just rolls right off me....She a daily driver and my wife? Well, she's no Martha.

IMG_3493.pdf

bcroe

The 67 is a bit of an orphan, the engine, transmission,
and final drive were all changed in 68. That later
series ran through 1978, the parts are easier to find,
and larger or unleaded compatible engines all fit. 

That said, I have seen a 67 switch pitch trans adapted
to the BOP engines.  Bruce Roe

James Landi

I owned a '67 as a daily driver for over a decade from the mid 70' through mid 80's... ran up the miles, unfortunately, can't tell you the "final score" as the odometer stopped at 139,000.  I absolutely loved the car--- you had the "feeling" of being pulled by the front wheel drive -- it was amazing on snow.  I also inflated the tires to GM specs, so that the "truck like" heavy ride was very much dampened by the 24 psi inflation.  Yes, rust in the floor pans (they take a hit), rust under the vinyl tops, kept mine well "lubricated" nearly every week, front wheel bearing-- notice, not plural... first year of production, an expensive single "life time bearing" that did wear out on me on one side--- and back in the early 80's was $400, and likely is no longer produced. The other cautionary advice, Look to substitute the automatic level control--- the compressor pump had a definite service life on several critical parts, and they are not available, so some kind of work-a-round is absolutely necessary as these cars will bump along and bottom out, and the single leaf spring in the back can snap for lack of appropriate support from air-shocks.  Over all, though, a very durable engine and transmission IF NOT PUSHED--- expect problems if you "floor it" as the engines are mounted on three rubber blocks, and over time, they deteriorate and you can dent your hood as the engine attempts to escape.  Hope this helps, James

Snibbor

Hey James,

Quick question. You mentioned, "rust under the vinyl tops, kept mine well "lubricated" nearly every week".
 CDV has some moderate rust under the vinyl. What exactly was your "lube solution"?

Cadillac Jack 82

I really like the one that was being offered on Bringatrailer but I'm already seeing some things that make me go meh.  If its not OEM I have a tendency to lose interest really quick.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

V63

I personally would opt out on the 67 from the perspective of unique parts. The 68 is effectively identical in appearance.