News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Epic Road Trip, need some shop recommendations

Started by jamesmadconductor, March 12, 2021, 09:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesmadconductor

Well, I purchased a '70 deVille convertible in San Francisco and I'm driving it back to my home in North Carolina. My 40th birthday and my friends 35th are later this year, so we figured this would be a great adventure of a drive. The vehicle is a one-owner car with only 50k miles and appears to be unmolested. I will be doing fluids and brakes before heading off, but I have experienced a road trip gone afoul in the past, and I'd like to be a tad more prepared with some shop recommendations near the following cities:
-Las Vegas
-Grand Junction (UT/CO border area at I-70)
-Denver
-St. Louis
-Louisville
-Charleston

Anybody familiar with these areas and know of shops you would trust should I need to use their services?
Dr. James Keith
1912 Model T Touring
1939 LaSalle series 50 Sedan
1940 LaSalle series 52 Coupe
1949 Chevrolet 3800 Panel Truck
1958 MG-A
1958 Cadillac Series 62
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
2008 Cadillac XLR Alpine White Edition

phildeville@cox.net

Both Las Vegas & Denver have CLC Regions who could make recommendations.
I always travel with a CLC IMD, so finding a Member nearby for referrals is easy.
Your CLC pals will know the area....who to call & more importantly, who not to call!

GL,

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Ohjai

James, have a great trip.  One thing I would do before starting out is to check the age of the tires,  I would not trust any rubber over 10 years old.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

chrisntam

Have a chase car/truck with tools.  Confirm your AAA membership or other roadside/towing assistance, often available through the car insurance company.

Do it during a mild time of year if you can.  Hopefully the cooling system / radiator is up to the task.  Perhaps a flush?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Carfreak

Quote from: phildeville@cox.net on March 12, 2021, 01:37:11 PM
Both Las Vegas & Denver have CLC Regions who could make recommendations.
I always travel with a CLC IMD, so finding a Member nearby for referrals is easy.
Your CLC pals will know the area....who to call & more importantly, who not to call!

Several great reasons to join the CLC ASAP!!  When you join online, access should be immediate to an archive of Self Starter magazines, an online CLC International Membership Directory and also ability to search for members by name, cities, etc. in YourMembership.

Quote from: chrisntam on March 12, 2021, 04:56:27 PM

Confirm your AAA membership or other roadside/towing assistance, often available through the car insurance company.

Hagerty Insurance is a great vintage auto insurance provider and they have a pretty good road service which will cover distances I think up to 125 or 150 miles (Premium Road Service) AND if you are a CLC Member, you can qualify for a discount on their insurance. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

35-709

Based on my experience driving a '72 Sedan de Ville to Florida from Missouri several years ago, be sure to replace the rubber fuel line hoses from the tank to the metal fuel lines.  Three different sizes, easy enough to access without dropping the tank.  Do it --- unless you KNOW they have been recently replaced!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

James Landi

Make certain that the radiator is thoroughly flushed --- mineral deposits can lower the efficiency, and in high heat travel, you can encounter problems.  Also, all of the engine cooling hoses likely need to be changed, if they have not been over these 5 decades. As mentioned above, rubber gasoline lines, if original with the car, can be ready to crack and leak.  Best of luck, and keep us posted regarding your progress.  James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

1-800-InterCity

JMHO

Have it shipped home, have a competent mech, or yourself, tear it apart. 51 years old and 50K miles means everything needs to be replaced or serviced. If the car had 100K on it, I'd feel better about driving it. What do I know, I'm just a chick.

Have fun with your new purchase!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That's a very LONG drive you're planning.  I did something
like that back in 1980 when I bought my 1955 Eldorado.
The drive was from Chicago back to Charlotte NC where
we lived at the time.

It was 850 miles and wife Karen and I made it OK.  I had
a complete tool kit, spare fuel pump, water pump, hoses
belts, etc.  The master cylinder started to leak towards
the end of the trip but I just topped it off as needed.
The Eldo was burning a quart of oil with each tank of
gas -- the engine was tired.

Fortunately we didn't break down and we needed no repairs on
the way.  Don't worry about needing fluids, you can the those on
the trip at any gas station. 

All I can say it was a trip to remember and I was 30 years
old at the time.  Wife and I had a grand time. At my age
now I would likely have it shipped.   

Good luck on your trip and have fun. Go for it!!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jamurray

No guts; no glory.

I drove my '70 6267 to California from Connecticut and back twice. I brought tools, a spare fuel pump, belts, and water pump. Except for vapor lock, I had no problems that I couldn't handle. I did change a fuel pump at a rest area in Moriarty, New Mexico, but it was the vapor lock giving me the problem. I just didn't know it then.

Jack Murray

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too have undertaken "Epic" road trips, with little trouble on the way, apart from silly things.

2002, I purchased a car in California, and after replacing the bald tyres, and a quick check-over, drove 14,750 miles around USA and Canada (in 4 Months) and back to California before selling it, and hopping on a plane to back home.   Toed once when the engine boiled in Florida, but that turned out to be a cracked plastic recovery tank that opened up when hot, releasing the coolant, and yes, had been chasing the loss of coolant as every morning, I had to top up the radiator.   Didn't find the culprit till stopping outside Las Vegas and noticed the water on the ground, which wasn't the AC drain.

2008, picked up my '72 Eldorado in Detroit, again, checked it out and had to replace some blown headlights, and totally clean out the interior and stabilise the broken front sear and tie up the back seat back as it was flapping around.    Then proceeded to drive 4,600 miles in NE USA and SE Canada.   On getting to Connecticut, had to replace a front tyre as the steel belt parted, (Tyres looked new when the trip started, but since arriving home, another 2 tyres did the same thing)   The only downside with this car was that I found a very leaking windscreen, which required copious amounts of race tape across the top.   First thought it was a bad Convertible Header Gasket, but no, it was the screen to frame seal.

Both journeys were fantastic, taking in 2 GN's, and seeing different stuff, and meeting fantastic people on the way.

The secret is to not over complicate things, and have fun.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   And have the International Membership Directory handy, and be a Member of the AAA (I was a Member of the RACT, which has reciprocal rights)   Plus, don't forget the Mobile Phone.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

I started an epic trip with my newly purchased '49 in 1984 from Chicago to Atlanta.  The car was running fine.  Made it almost to Louisville when the dried up rear pinion seal failed and gear oil poured out of the differential.  Pulled into a garage in southern Indiana.  Mechanic informed me he could change the seal if I could supply a new one.  They called auto parts stores all over the area, but none had one.  A call to Passport Transport was more fruitful.  They said they could pick up the car in a few days, which is what I should have done in the first place.  I flew home and the garage stored it for a nominal charge till the Passport truck came.

Fixed the seal at home and have gone on many long distance trips with the car since then.  Lesson learned: Best to wait till you know a car well before driving it a long distance.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Tim I

Rickenbaugh Cadillac in Denver actually has a guy who works on the older cars.  Blaise Flaherty, the service manager there is an old car guy himself.  They've done good work on my '60 Coupe deVille. 

777 Broadway, Phone: 303-578-4696

That sounds like a great trip. have fun!

colorado4x4

Perhaps get a picture of your 1970 Deville Convertible with my two 1970 Deville convertibles when you pass through Denver, or better yet a motorcade for a stretch of highway on your way in to or out of Denver metro area, would be neat to see two or three 1970 convertibles traveling down the highway together.

Bill's Crestmoor Automotive, in SE Denver might be a shop recommendation, albeit because I noticed that they had worked on a red/tan top 1970 Deville convertible last summer while out riding my bike one day.  When I took a relative's vehicle in there a month or so ago, I inquired about the convertible from last summer, they said they had given it a once over for any potential issues as the owner was looking to sell it.

Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

Sloriter

Steve Llewellyn
Auto Service House
2240 S Quebec St
Denver, CO (Southeast)
303) 755-6217

Steve works on a lot of old cars. It was a cherry '48 Packard waiting for service at his place that inspired me to search for the '39 LaSalle coupe that I bought a year ago. His shop has kept my '55 T-Bird (and my ordinary rides) on the road for 20 years and will be the go-to garage that'll service the LaSalle when I get it put back together. I wouldn't sneeze at Rickenbaugh, either, a first-rate dealership.

James Landi

Would be a terrific "Guide" for us to have a transnational listing of technicians whom we respect and willing work on our cars.  It would, by definition, require constant review, somewhat similar to a "Yelp" consumer guide.     Maybe a project for various vintage American clubs--- where a cooperative effort and comaraderie  would be a nice unintended consequence.  James

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Tim I on March 15, 2021, 12:16:37 PM
Rickenbaugh Cadillac in Denver actually has a guy who works on the older cars.  Blaise Flaherty, the service manager there is an old car guy himself.  They've done good work on my '60 Coupe deVille. 

777 Broadway, Phone: 303-578-4696

That sounds like a great trip. have fun!
I live in the Atlanta area, but my '49 Club Coupe was sold new by Rickenbaugh.  On visit to Denver several years ago I stopped in to the facility on Broadway to say hello and was welcomed by the Service Manager.  He introduced me to the young mechanic who works on the older cars who told me he owns a LaSalle himself.  Before leaving they gave me a license plate frame marked Rickenbaugh Denver which is now on my '49. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

jamesmadconductor

Well, I figured I would update: I love the car. Incredible original example. She happily cruised through Fresno valley, over the beautiful Tehachapi Pass, and down into Vegas. Only trouble was a plugged vacuum line to my brake booster, easy fix. On to Moab, UT
Dr. James Keith
1912 Model T Touring
1958 MG-A
1958 Cadillac Series 62

Carfreak

Great to hear your trip is going well. 

Where was the last photo taken? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

jamesmadconductor

Quote from: Carfreak on March 28, 2021, 01:43:09 PM
Great to hear your trip is going well. 

Where was the last photo taken?

The photos are at Trinchero Napa Valley, just outside of the Tehachapi Loop, and Paris Hotel Las Vegas
Dr. James Keith
1912 Model T Touring
1958 MG-A
1958 Cadillac Series 62