News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Los Angeles Mechanics - 67 First Caddy

Started by 67caddyLA, May 04, 2022, 07:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67caddyLA

Hello there,

In love with my new beauty. 67 Deville Convertible, red interior. Wife and kids love it. Trying to add a couple of pics here.

Question, anybody in Los Angles/ SFV/ Santa Clarita that specializes or works on these things? I would like to go to someone who knows these.

Apprecaite the help and looking forward to learning a lot here.
Ryan Zeimen
1967 Cadillac Deville Topless

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ryan,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

67caddyLA

Thank you Bruce! I hope I fixed it and following the rules.
Ryan Zeimen

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

79 Eldorado

Hi Ryan,
Many times when an issue occurs a member will post questions and others will help diagnose. In many cases, with the assistance given, you can either try s repair yourself or at least further the diagnostic work. If you do not feel comfortable with trying something yourself you will generally have a better feel for what is involved and you will likely have more information to assist a shop.

If others closer to your area don't have any suggestions I've sold some parts to the 70's EFI vehicles, 75-80, to shops in the LA area. Those are newer than your car but a shop willing to work on them may still be a good place to start as they are still at least 40+ years old.

Very nice looking car and cool color combination!
Welcome to the forum,
Scott

KOKNEYELDO

I have been using "Cesar" for years on my 75' Eldo and 57' T-Bird.

He prefers working on old cars (Caddies and Porsches).

He does not have his own shop, is booked weeks ahead, but his work is very good and rates are very reasonable.

He lives in the Canoga Park area.

Just mention my name (Gary King) and his # (818) 836-8162.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

67caddyLA

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on May 04, 2022, 11:37:06 PM
Hi Ryan,
Many times when an issue occurs a member will post questions and others will help diagnose. In many cases, with the assistance given, you can either try s repair yourself or at least further the diagnostic work. If you do not feel comfortable with trying something yourself you will generally have a better feel for what is involved and you will likely have more information to assist a shop.

If others closer to your area don't have any suggestions I've sold some parts to the 70's EFI vehicles, 75-80, to shops in the LA area. Those are newer than your car but a shop willing to work on them may still be a good place to start as they are still at least 40+ years old.

Very nice looking car and cool color combination!
Welcome to the forum,
Scott
Thank you very much. Car sat for 9 years, before I got it. I want to go through the cooling system, get some new oil in (what type of oil do these land yatchs like) , and get the AC looked at (blows warm).

Appreciate the help

Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

Quote from: KOKNEYELDO on May 05, 2022, 11:30:18 AM

He does not have his own shop, is booked weeks ahead, but his work is very good and rates are very reasonable.

Thank you so much Gary! I will call him . I have no problem with time.  Does he do mobile work?
Ryan Zeimen

79 Eldorado

Ryan,
I would search for other posts regarding oil. If you ask that question you will get a flood of replies and it's been discussed ad nauseam in the past. There has been a lot of good discussion though. There was one recently which included additives. If you search zddp and oil as your search terms you will find one of the discussions.

Wix filters seem to be very well respected and NAPA Gold are WIX filters. I normally wait for NAPA to have a sale and I buy my filters and my choice of oil there.

Regarding the AC you will need to diagnose what's going on. There's someone on the site who published a supplemental manual for some of the Cadillac systems around your year. I don't know what years he's created documentation for but I've heard it's very well done and very well respected. Even if you have someone else work on the car, if he (Tim) has a book on your vehicle I would suggest getting a copy. I don't think his work covers one of my vehicles but if someone provides more detail regarding how to get a copy I've thought about buying one because I suspect it would be interesting to see regardless.

Scott

67caddyLA

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on May 05, 2022, 10:11:28 PM
Ryan,
I would search for other posts regarding oil. If you ask that question you will get a flood of replies and it's been discussed ad nauseam in the past. There has been a lot of good discussion though. There was one recently which included additives. If you search zddp and oil as your search terms you will find one of the discussions.

Wix filters seem to be very well respected and NAPA Gold are WIX filters. I normally wait for NAPA to have a sale and I buy my filters and my choice of oil there.

Regarding the AC you will need to diagnose what's going on. There's someone on the site who published a supplemental manual for some of the Cadillac systems around your year. I don't know what years he's created documentation for but I've heard it's very well done and very well respected. Even if you have someone else work on the car, if he (Tim) has a book on your vehicle I would suggest getting a copy. I don't think his work covers one of my vehicles but if someone provides more detail regarding how to get a copy I've thought about buying one because I suspect it would be interesting to see regardless.

Scott
Thank you Scott! You are right about the oil. Search shows 10w40 so I will stick with that.

I am thinking of putting aluminum radiator. AC compressor kicks in but hot air. Will chrck freon

Thanks again.

Loving my land yatch
Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

Quote from: KOKNEYELDO on May 05, 2022, 11:30:18 AM

Thanks Gary

Talked to Ceasar. Seems like a 4 month wait. He told me to call in 4 weeks to see any updates.

I have a local guy that someone recommended to - I will call him as well.
Ryan Zeimen

35-709

First and foremost, get the 1967 Cadillac Shop Manual --- easy to find on eBay.  Even if you don't use it, your mechanic may benefit from having one.  The originals, as opposed to the reprints, usually have better quality illustrations.

For the AC manuals --- Cadillac Tim.  He has several for different year systems, he will have one for your '67.
https://cadillactim.com/ 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

67caddyLA

Quote from: 35-709 on May 06, 2022, 08:27:03 PM
First and foremost, get the 1967 Cadillac Shop Manual --- easy to find on eBay.  Even if you don't use it, your mechanic may benefit from having one.  The originals, as opposed to the reprints, usually have better quality illustrations.

For the AC manuals --- Cadillac Tim.  He has several for different year systems, he will have one for your '67.
https://cadillactim.com/
Thank you and excellent info! Will order both now
Ryan Zeimen

79 Eldorado

Ryan,
I don't have a '67 Cadillac but it surprises me a bit that the recommended oil weight isn't 10W-30. I thought that was generally the standard for a long time. I don't think discussing the weight will be controversial (I could be wrong). One thing I've read is the closer the low and high numbers are the less viscosity modifiers are needed. From what I read the additives which modify the weight are like tiny coils. As the oil is used those tiny coils break down. As they break down the oil loses it's ability to change viscosity as intended. The conclusion I came away with was the smaller the difference between the low and the high number the longer the oil would typically maintain stability, able to achieve, the intended viscosity.

I don't know the old AC systems that well but a sign of low charge on systems made it the 80's-90's is a short cycling compressor. There was a low charge detection system I helped with which counted the number of cycles and if it counted over a certain number of cycles in less than 1 or 2 minutes a light would show on the control head indicating low charge. When you say your compressor clutch is engaging, if it stays engaged and doesn't short-cycle, your issue might be something like a temp door which is in the wrong position. The AC loop can work perfectly but if a blend or temp door is stuck in the wrong position you may only feel hot air. It looks like the link for Tim's site was posted so I would buy his manual for your car before drawing conclusions. I would also second buying an original FSM. You will likely see aftermarket manuals as well when you search. I would avoid them. Sometimes the information is accurate but I've seen and heard examples where the information is wrong. The aftermarket manuals may also show photos as examples but not from the same car.

Regarding the radiator I do like Aluminum radiators but for a 1967 it would be my preference to keep the OE look. That will be very difficult if you buy an Aluminum radiator. I would see if there's someone in your area which can still re-core a radiator. When a radiator is re-cored they use your original tanks and you get a new radiator core. Because that was really something only done with Cu-Brass radiators places which re-core are getting very hard to find. If you do go with Aluminum I would keep your OE Cu-Brass because someone, even you, may want to go back to the original. If you go to Aluminum also be aware the spacing for the transmission cooler lines might be slightly different (You may need to re-work the lines a bit to get them to fit).

Scott

67caddyLA

Hello Scott,

Thanks for a great post! I appreciate how welcoming and kind and informative everyone has been on this forum for a newbie like me.

I am voraciously reading and learning all about the new Caddy! I figure in the long run if I change the oil frequently enough I should be ok.

I am not looking to make my 67 a show car. It will be 3-4 days a week workhorse. I just want to make sure it is as reliable as a modern car be made.

Yeah my AC issue seems like more a door issue as you mentioned. Clutch is definitely staying engaged but hot air is coming. Old owner said it was cold last summer - so he suspects all freon leaked out (who knows)

I have found a great local place to recore the radiator (another 67 owner on this forum used them), so I am takign it there on Tuesday to see what they can do.  I rather not just throw cheap aluminum in it, but rather keep it original and functional as you said.

I hope to keep the caddy for a long time as I wanted this one black/red for a bit. It isn't perfect , but it is mine, and the drive is so sublime, I ask myself why did I spent all these years in Lexus LS cars instead of a Caddy!!!
Quote from: 79 Eldorado on May 07, 2022, 01:25:53 PM
Ryan,
I don't have a '67 Cadillac but it surprises me a bit that the recommended oil weight isn't 10W-30. I thought that was generally the standard for a long time. I don't think discussing the weight will be controversial (I could be wrong). One thing I've read is the closer the low and high numbers are the less viscosity modifiers are needed. From what I read the additives which modify the weight are like tiny coils. As the oil is used those tiny coils break down. As they break down the oil loses it's ability to change viscosity as intended. The conclusion I came away with was the smaller the difference between the low and the high number the longer the oil would typically maintain stability, able to achieve, the intended viscosity.

I don't know the old AC systems that well but a sign of low charge on systems made it the 80's-90's is a short cycling compressor. There was a low charge detection system I helped with which counted the number of cycles and if it counted over a certain number of cycles in less than 1 or 2 minutes a light would show on the control head indicating low charge. When you say your compressor clutch is engaging, if it stays engaged and doesn't short-cycle, your issue might be something like a temp door which is in the wrong position. The AC loop can work perfectly but if a blend or temp door is stuck in the wrong position you may only feel hot air. It looks like the link for Tim's site was posted so I would buy his manual for your car before drawing conclusions. I would also second buying an original FSM. You will likely see aftermarket manuals as well when you search. I would avoid them. Sometimes the information is accurate but I've seen and heard examples where the information is wrong. The aftermarket manuals may also show photos as examples but not from the same car.

Regarding the radiator I do like Aluminum radiators but for a 1967 it would be my preference to keep the OE look. That will be very difficult if you buy an Aluminum radiator. I would see if there's someone in your area which can still re-core a radiator. When a radiator is re-cored they use your original tanks and you get a new radiator core. Because that was really something only done with Cu-Brass radiators places which re-core are getting very hard to find. If you do go with Aluminum I would keep your OE Cu-Brass because someone, even you, may want to go back to the original. If you go to Aluminum also be aware the spacing for the transmission cooler lines might be slightly different (You may need to re-work the lines a bit to get them to fit).

Scott
Ryan Zeimen

gnorden

Hello Ryan,
You may want to try E & E Automotive Service and Repair in Santa Monica, CA.  The owner has lots of mid-sixties Cadillac experience.  Good luck.

bcroe

Quote from: 67caddyLAI am not looking to make my 67 a show car. It will be 3-4 days a week workhorse.

If it is a driver, you might want to enhance the switch
pitch transmission performance, with an electronic
controller.  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I believe 67s did have Sw/p
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

67caddyLA

UPDATE:

Well bad news today. After putting 1200 enjoyable miles, driving 65 mph, overheated. Pulled over right away. Had to go to a office meeting.

Towed her home. Will not start. Battery fully charged. She turns over "waaah waaah waaah" but wont catch to start.

Popped the distributor open - everything turns inside.

Wonder if cylinder lost compression or motor needs rebuild :(
Ryan Zeimen

67caddyLA

Quote from: gnorden on May 09, 2022, 11:45:54 AM
Hello Ryan,
You may want to try E & E Automotive Service and Repair in Santa Monica, CA.  The owner has lots of mid-sixties Cadillac experience.  Good luck.
Thank you, I will call him now. Looks like my Caddy needs more help than just a new radiator core.
Ryan Zeimen