News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Goofy Radio Issue

Started by Anderson, September 25, 2022, 05:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anderson

So, I'm having odd issues with my radio.  Simply put, I'm getting signals in the wrong place - over in the ballpark of 106.9 (the local classic rock station) I'm able to pick up 93.7 and 92.9 (ironically, two stations I like...but they're REALLY in the wrong place).  I'm sort-of used to neighboring stations sometimes cutting in on one another, but this is getting absurd.  Does anybody know what might be wrong?

James Landi

What year and model radio...  some of the very early transistorize FM stereo radios are now over 50 years old, and accumulations of dust and debris with a mix of humidity can build up on decades old printed curcuit boards and create utter chaos.  Coincidently, just yesterday I re-installed the second of four component speaker/amplifiers in my 35 year old Allante.  When new in 1988, the Bose "sound system" was Dr. Bose top of the line specially engineered component system to provide quadro-phonic sound; however, changing temperatures and accumulations on electronically sensitive components has cause havoc... in my car, it didn't help that mice had taken up residence in one of the rear speaker/amplifier enclosures. My advice, if the radio is providing good fidelity and isn't creating popping noises or loss of amplification, live with it.   Cleaning circuit boards is easy, but getting some of these systems out of the car involves a good deal of patience and physical challenge.  Hope this helps, James 

fishnjim

without details, either tuner malfunctioning  or the dial is out of adjustment - ie not indicating properly.  Some earlier dials are controlled by wound string which can loosen or move over time.   
If the splash over is only on or two, the stations might be too powerful in your locale.
Just depends how much of an issue whether or not you invest in repair.

David Greenburg

I'm not sure this applies to all years, but for many years in the pre-digital age, they was a rubber belt that moved the pointer when you turned the tuning knob, and that could be worn or slipping.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Anderson

It's the initially installed radio from a 1970 Eldorado, so I suspect (VERY strongly) that it would be just transistors.

The dial is "about right" for 106.9 (it's on the correct side of things) and a few neighboring stations. It's the other screwball stations (92-95) that are "popping in" out in the 105-107 range that have me confused (basically, "why am I getting a double feed"?).

J. Gomez

Quote from: Anderson on September 26, 2022, 12:46:32 AMIt's the initially installed radio from a 1970 Eldorado, so I suspect (VERY strongly) that it would be just transistors.

The dial is "about right" for 106.9 (it's on the correct side of things) and a few neighboring stations. It's the other screwball stations (92-95) that are "popping in" out in the 105-107 range that have me confused (basically, "why am I getting a double feed"?).

I would guess you may have an IF tuning/adjustment problem as you are picking up the lower frequencies in the higher range of the dial. I do not think is "frequency drifting/shifting" as is refer in the industry since your description does not indicate that you have to keep moving the dial once it is tune to a frequency.

You will need to have it service to care for this problem.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082