News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘41 62 Convertible top info?

Started by AdamS, September 25, 2022, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamS

Hi folks:

Would someone point me to a couple of documents regarding the '41 62 Coupe convertible top?

1. Instructions for adjusting the top and mechanism.

2. Instructions for lowering and raising the top. I want to know if there are snaps (and how many) that have to be undone prior to lowering the top, how it needs to be guided into the top well for the boot fit, and such.

I've yet to lower the top on my car that I bought earlier this year and want to know of any gotchas before I do.

Thanks.
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'32 Pierce-Arrow Club Sedan
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'37 75 Fleetwood Convertible Sedan
'35 Packard Convertible Coupe
'52 Hudson Hornet
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air
'36 60 Sedan (wish I could forget about this one🤪)

Abe Lugo

I never got instructions with mine

But here goes
1st either your power top works or doesn't. You can use it manually also.
Only open/ close while parked.
If the top is up.  You would lower the windows a bit.
Then undo the clamps at the windshield. There are no snaps to undo at the front.
2. With the engine on you pull the top knob.  A light push will help the top go up. But not needed if your vacuum and power top is working. 
  If your top is not moving with the knob and you want to put the top down. I would recommend holding the knob and having someone help the top back into the down position.  The knob acts as valve release at that point.

Once down you can choose to have the top boot on on or not.  Depending on how your car was trimmed. It may have a chrome strip with buttons to add the top boot over. Or the Lee is a trim tack strip with male snap buttons.  Either way there will be about 4-6 along the back and about two on the sides.

I may have forgotten to mention that on the sail panels on the sides there is these vinyl like edge that locks into the bottom of the upper  side trim. It sort of hooks in. 

Also never put the top down with the the rear window in the open in UN-zipped position.

Putting the top up

Remove the boot.
Put the windows down a bit.  Preferably all the way down.
If you have a power top, the engine on and in parking position.

Now push the convertible top knob in.  Then the top will slowly start to move up.  You can help guide it up and over yourself. 

As the top comes I've the apex of the angle kind of catch it and start guiding it down,   You done want the top slamming down. 

So here is the trick.  Depending how "square" your car is...
As you top comes down.  Either one side or the other will touch first or if your lucky the center hits first.  Guider the top cover the pins. 
If you power top is still pushing make sure it is all the way forward. 

As you guide it over the pins it sort of interlocks as it land onto the pins.  The see what clamps preferably the center can latch onto the holds.  If you too headerbar is all the way forward then not very
Much pressure is need to lock all three clamps.  The heat bar is the part with the latches on the top.  Once all the way forward you can land it over the pins.  There can be a bit of squish to get it to sit all the way down.   

Then check to see if the side outer top flaps are locked in. 

Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

35-709

"Also never put the top down with the the rear window in the open in zipped position."
Just so there is NO misunderstanding, the wording in red above should be un-zipped!

Also never put the top down with the the rear window in the open un-zipped position.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

All the information is in the little top instruction booklet  provided when new. Of course, people have to remove it. Should be available repro on ebay for low dollars.
 Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

AdamS

@Abe Lugo, @35-709 amd @Bob Hoffmann CLC#96
Thanks a ton for the info - super helpful.

@Abe Lugo, please confirm one thing for me, on the side sail panels, what's the secret to un-hooking these? Does the top need to be unlatched from the windshield header first?

Tnx.
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'52 Hudson Hornet
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air

Abe Lugo

Those lower side sail panel edges should loosen when the top is down. Or as the top is going down.   Then undo the side and the next buttons. Then it should be able to be ticked over the body edge to put the boot on. 
So when putting the top up as it comes up you can pull out the side panels and try to work the into position.
On my car they are quite stiff but still able to be worked in and out of posting as needed. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I will try to get a muddy copy of the instructions on here ASAP. Ditto how to remove the dashes from 1941s and suggestions on 42-47 cars. (Sometimes my scanner works and sometimes it doesn't...)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Barry,

To load a picture, do the normal process with inserting the picture from your files, then don't forget to hit the "Upload" button.

I found I had to add a picture, then upload, before adding another one or two.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I hope this helps. Thanks Bruce.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Abe Lugo

Barry thanks for posting but that not legible. 
Perhaps some you know can just shoot straight on nice pics of the pamphlet. 
I checked eBay and didn't see any of those.

AdamS

Quote from:  Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 05, 2022, 10:41:25 PMI hope this helps. Thanks Bruce.
Thanks, Barry. The pic isn't in focus.  🫤 another try, perhaps?
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'52 Hudson Hornet
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air

Barry M Wheeler #2189

We'll try again. IMG_6011.JPG

I got a large image. You still might have to use a magnifying glass  on your screen but hopefully it's better than nothing. Also use the tips earlier in the post.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

AdamS

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 06, 2022, 10:42:30 PMWe'll try again. IMG_6011.JPG

I got a large image. You still might have to use a magnifying glass  on your screen but hopefully it's better than nothing. Also use the tips earlier in the post.
That's readable, thanks @Barry M Wheeler #2189!
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'52 Hudson Hornet
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air